View Single Post
Old 2008-05-30, 6:48am

I'm not disputing the fact that UO takes measurements and tests their machines before they leave the shop, but as I mentioned before Mr.S, Kimberly's numbers coincide with my real life experience with my TWO UO oxycons. They work fine for a while, and then at some point, the purity starts to go, and finally, the machine stops working altogether. It seems to happen "prematurely". I'm spoiled -- that $150 Alliance worked for 5 years! That I can't complain about!

Jack has thus far made this right with me by continuing to swap out the machines as they die. He's even contacted me about my recent woes, based on my posting on another forum, rather than the e-mail I sent from his website more than 3 weeks ago. It's too late for me before the big Bead and Button show, but I'll happily deal with it after that.

But instead of all the bickering back and forth, I'd like to know why this happens. I don't have a gizmo to test with, although I might take Kimberly up on her offer of borrowing hers at some point. Because I have no way of knowing that when I get anybody's machine if it is working according to the specs they claim.

By figuring out why this happens, then we as a community and you guys as suppliers can improve the technology and improve our understanding of how best to use the machines and to take care of them for optimum performance over a reasonable period of time. Again bickering with fuzzy numbers or no numbers just doesn't make any sense.

Also, I'm not sure it's helpful to say Kimberly doesn't know how to take the measurements.

I think ALL the torch manufacturers need to post their numbers -- I'm on a Nortel torch, not a GTT torch. And there are lots of other torch manufacturers out there who need to provide torch owners and oxycon manufacturers with numbers.

I'd also like you and/or Jack to speculate about why my two different machines M10 and M15 don't seem to have the lifespan I would expect. I mean, perhaps it's not the right machine for me? But how will I know if we don't start putting on our thinking caps and figuring out the why's?

FWIW, I have a possible speculation about that, if any of the oxycon makers are interested. But I'd rather hear from Mr. S or Jack first.

Patti