View Single Post
Old 2018-09-01, 5:34pm

Thumbs up Building my first setup

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to fairly new to lampworking. I've taken a few classes (8 classes @ 3hrs each) and I've rented from the studio near me around 10 hours total. I've since wanted to take it further than the hours allotted in classes because I work till 4 everyday and the studio mostly only lets walk-in's come till 5pm.

I've decided to renovate the garage in my house that is too small for my car.

Below are a few pics to get a view of the overall space.

I plan to build a small 6ft x 2ft bench in the back out of 2x4's. Below is a pic of the area.

This labor day weekend I am going to take advantage of the time and build the bench portion and exhaust hood. I plan on using a metal watch basin (4ftx2ftx1ft) for the hood. I got this today at a local hardware store for 100 even.

To exhaust the fumes outside I am going to vent in the window to the left of the work area in the photos with the blower motor for this this dust filter from harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/70-gal...tor-61790.html

I'm going to run it with the included ducting for the time being and see if it works or not. If it does I will improve the design with flat static metal ducting to the window next to the work area. I am going to seal the entire window over with the board in the photo and cut a hole for exhaust and a separate hole for the propane hose from outside.

I am simply for the time being going to seal the other two windows with plastic (incoming winter weather).

I have a 2ft x 2ft industrial kitchen counter top with 2x4 backing as well. I am going to get some legs for that from ikea or lowes and just screw them into the bottom. That will give me a separate work area that I think will be helpful. I don't have a picture of that but will upload it later on (its at another house of mine).

Now lets talk torches.

The studio I first learned at had Nortel Minor's and taught soft glass. I have purchased a GTT Cheetah and have used it during the renting hours I specified above. I thought it was awesome when I worked with it.

I purchased a Jen Ken Kiln off Craigslist. I think I got a steal. It retails new for 980ish and I paid 350. I purchased it mainly for batch work to be able to make a lot pipes at once in batch.

Here it is new:
http://jenkenkilns.com/b3k-156.aspx

Here is what I bought:

Now for the tools I have purchased so far (totally not done yet)

Tools:

This includes:

Claw grabber tool
3/4" graphite bowl push
Octagonal graphite reamer
rubber hose blow kit with corks and valve
double V brass necking tool
stainless steel letter opener
tungsten pick
tungsten scribbler
brass shaping tool
6" sheers
Big tweezers
small tweezers
bead clipper tweezers
more tweezers good lord tweezers
glass cutting tool
glass snipping tool
fiber blanket for kiln
kevlar arm guards
kevlar finglerless gloves
2"x4" graphite pad
small frit tray
single glass Rod holder
flint

I may have jumped the gun on a few of the items but I also bought my first round of glass.

I'm creating this building thread to keep up with total cost as well as keep up with the knowledge because it might be useful to someone else.

Costs so far.

Tools - $176.59
Glass - $85.65
GTT Cheeta Torch - $664 (includes quick connect inline)
Jen Ken Kiln 15/6 - $350
Metal Basin Hood - $100

Total spent - 1376.24

The two classes I took were 350 each

Total spent learning and building $2076.24

I am going to make a post later on tonight going over acquiring the remaining items I need to make the studio along with what items I have left to buy and the plans I have to acquire.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Destonomos; 2018-09-01 at 6:23pm.