View Single Post
Old 2016-06-21, 1:41am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
I dont ....self taught... 5 years n now and it's been a flop nothing. Did pay for one but pretty sure thats going to be nothing too.
Self taught is great with YouTube videos now-a-days and all, but there are a few things you pick up in a hands on class you may not get in a video. Videos are like going to demo only class or watching flame-offs. I think the best way, for me to learn at least, is hands on with some back and forth communication.

At first, I took a few basic classes and then a few classes on specific techniques. That got expensive to pay for a class to learn a single technique.

Then I wanted to learn from a "master". I tried to get classes close by, in Oregon, but they all filled up really fast. I booked a three day demo in Denver. I did learn a lot but didn't retain much of it and decided I would never do that again. I need the hands on to remember the techniques.

I tried to take a class with Loren Stump at GAS but it got canceled. I am currently signed up for a class with Roger Paramore at Pratt but it looks like there may not be enough people signed up for them to hold the class as well. I need to check on that. I think if they cancel the Paramore class, that will be it, for me and taking classes for a long while.

One problem with out-of-town classes is, you sign up for a class, book a flight, if it's far enough away, book hotel and if the class gets canceled you are screwed if you tried to save a few bucks on non-refundable reservations. Schools should make arrangements with nearby hotels to give attendees special rates and no penalties if the class gets canceled IMHO.

I didn't understand how one class with an instructor is full to capasity with people on a waiting list and another class with the same instructor gets canceled for lack of interest within the same 12-15 month period.

I know that wasn't the original question, but after paying $$$ for flight/car/hotel for a demo, where much of the prep work was done before hand. Or, maybe having two classes canceled after waiting several months, I am kind of frustrated with the whole expensive scene.</rant>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨