View Single Post
Old 2016-06-23, 8:33am
Everlasting Fire Studio

Primarily we are both self taught at this point. Most of our teachers were during our days in soft glass. Boro has been all through tutorials, videos, and some pointers from people we know who work with it.

And definitely, you hit walls when you are self taught. When you struggle to nail a technique down, you definitely want someone to teach you in person to help you smooth out your bumps and take it to the next level.

I agree with the frustrations over cost. A lot of us can't afford to do a lot of travel, and sometimes classes are long (a week or two). Depending on where you are, finding classes that are more affordable for travel become difficult. Since a lot of studios with these great artists tend to stay on the west or east coast, those of us in the midwest are faced with long travels to get to these teachers.
Partly, that was a goal of ours. To get to a point where we can have a studio space where we can have such teachers come and give another studio here in the midwest where it is possible.

I wish it was possible to make deals with hotels, but really that is something you have to have a lot of money for. All we have by us in our neighborhood is really rundown motels that I'm pretty sure are used only for illegal activities. There aren't really any hotels. They are more concentrated close to downtown. I think the idea is that you just use public transportation to get where you want to go. Which, is not a terrible concept since we are easy to navigate.

I'm glad to hear your videos are available after purchase! So many are gone after 30 days or less. I'm someone who really needs to be able to take my time. Plus, with all our other responsibilities, I can't always dedicate as much time as I'd like to one thing. So I often want to be able to revisit something I've learned months later.

I know I definitely have some things I can do well, but I know I could do them better with some proper instruction. Hopefully in the next year I'll get some opportunities to learn!

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625