View Single Post
Old 2020-07-30, 2:39am
Phill

Hi Lloyd.

House hold NG will be at something like 1/4 psi pressures so any kind of regulator is probably not going to able to work with it that low.

I don't use one.

I fitted "black pipe" connectors from one area at my hardware store to a hose nipple from the compressed air fitting area at the same store.
Then I got a 6 or 10 foot section of Bar B Que hose with fitting on both ends and cut one end off, stuck it on the hose nipple ( check the inner diameter of the hose before you buy the nipple){ask me how I know that}, and snugged it up with a hose clamp {belt and suspenders kind of guy, I am}.

Remember that NG has something like one fifth of the BTUs that propane has so working big or working boro is going to be an exercise in patience.

I did the plumbing / piping work myself but the US Navy spent a good chunk of change teaching me about a whole mess of stuff and if you don't feel confident about your own skills then hiring it out is a good idea.
Or your could just pay some one to listen and look at what you plan to do, do it your self and hire them back to look it over afterward before you light up.
Lots of companies will NOT hook up anything they are unfamiliar with due to insurance liabilities.
Depending on the building codes where you live you might be "legally" required to get the whole thing inspected and approved by a fire inspector or the city building inspector.

I put a tee in the line from the back of my gas kitchen stove and put a separate shut off valve there { a good 10 feet or more from the torch bench, so i could shut it off from a safe distance if something went wrong on me} and plumbed more black pipe to the bench.

I tried to use a flash back arrester but I got the kind that have a check valve inside instead of the metal screen and the pressure was not enough to open the valve.
With the screen kind you can blow lightly through either end, with the check valve it only goes one way.

Remember that the fuel connectors have a notch cut at the corners of the nut and spin to tighten in the other direction than regular bolts.

Oh and don't reef down hard on the valves on the torch, or the brass fittings when putting it all together.
The brass is soft to make a good seal by lightly deforming the two surfaces together making a great seal.
If they get crammed too hard they can get damaged threads or matting surfaces and develop leaks.
That can ruin very expensive torches and require factory repair.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2020-07-30 at 2:47am.