View Single Post
Old 2019-06-18, 11:56am

A fan specification almost as important as CFM is SP: Static Pressure https://www.dscr.com/blog/static-pressure-important/
A simple box fan on the floor might have high CFM but if mounted in a window and wind is blowing against that side of the building, the CFM might be nil.

A good quality fan will have a published CFM vs SP table or graph. I'd say the layout of your studio determines the design of fan to buy. If you need to go through ductwork, get an inline fan (although I haven't found any with metal (not plastic) impellers). The squirrel cage fans are typically better at blowing than sucking (although they can work well enough).

Myself, I bought a 1/4 HP commercial duty direct drive propeller fan to go in the window of my basement garage. I will be making a hood over the work bench to direct fumes to the fan. HVACquick.com is great to work with. Canarm sent me a previously returned fan and did not bother to properly repackage it for shipping. HVACquick gave me a generous partial refund for the bent corner that resulted.

Last edited by Subduction; 2019-06-18 at 12:04pm.