Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-24, 12:44pm

Default Leaf vs Foil?

Can anyone tell me the difference between Gold/Silver Leaf and Gold/Silver Foil? And their applications? I have minimal experience with either....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-05-24, 12:49pm

Leaf is thinner and a little harder to work with because of it - wants to float away or stick to your fingers. Not much difference in their applications, though their effects differ a bit.
Old 2013-05-24, 12:50pm

Thickness. Leaf is very very very thin... needs to be between tissue to cut or punch out... blows away at the slightest provocation... burns out if you're not careful. Foil comes in varying thicknesses, but is easier to work with than leaf. Also more expensive, since you are getting more metal.
Old 2013-05-24, 12:58pm
Keep on keepin' on...

I just accidently bought a book of leaf and I'm kicking myself over it. I prefer foil. Leaf tears really easily and burns out really easily. I think its a lot harder to control. The slightest breeze and it blows away.

Old 2013-05-24, 1:52pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by karin View Post
Thickness. Leaf is very very very thin... needs to be between tissue to cut or punch out... blows away at the slightest provocation... burns out if you're not careful. Foil comes in varying thicknesses, but is easier to work with than leaf. Also more expensive, since you are getting more metal.
Regarding thickness....how do you know what thickness you are getting when you buy silver foil? I've purchased it from several places and some is thinner than others but as far as I can remember it never said what thickness. I'd like the thickest I can get....any ideas where?
Old 2013-05-24, 2:19pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I do not like working with leaf so I only use foil. Love it!

Old 2013-05-24, 2:32pm

Thank you so much everyone. I really didn't know if there was a huge difference. I can understand the weight/thickness of the leaf vs foil being a huge factor in the ease ability of use and application. Foil seems to be the way to go!

Maybe I may need to buy a Baz Box....I watched the you tube video recently and it certainly did make me chuckle.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-05-25, 3:05am
what's a senior moment ?

Julieann -
Check out this freebie tutorial by Shawnette on making your own leaf and foil vaccum. http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239667

Old 2013-05-25, 6:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Julieann -
Check out this freebie tutorial by Shawnette on making your own leaf and foil vaccum. http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239667
Great, thank you Debbie! And Shawnette!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-05-26, 6:25am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I use leaf for some reactions where I just need a bit of metal. Foil is too much and leaf is just right.
Old 2017-12-31, 1:15pm

Default Re: Gold Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by karin View Post
Hi Karin, Where can I buy Gold Foil? I'm in Boston, MA if that helps any.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 2017-12-31, 3:03pm

Hi Dave - lots of lampwork supply shops sell gold and silver foil. Here are just a few:

http://frantzartglass.com/pc_combine...h_keyword=foil

http://howacoglass.com/leaf_foil.html

http://www.devardiglass.com/Metalworking.htm
Old 2018-01-01, 7:58am
SCIENCE Teacher!

To clarify: I like using copper leaf to get special effects. I like using silver foil so the foil shows up and isn't burned off easily. Palladium foil is wonderful when not encased because it can get some peacock hues going, especially if it is in the kiln for a long time. I have used gold leaf but it seems pricey for an effect that is about the same as the silver but warmer looking.
Old 2018-01-15, 4:45pm

So what does copper foil do? I've only worked with silver and it's been a long time!
Old 2018-01-17, 7:18pm

When you make silvered ivory stringer do you use leaf or foil?
Old 2018-01-18, 2:14am
Slogan Challenged...

I always use foil but I might try leaf again. The effects are different for each but I don't think it's a huge difference for ivory. i think some folks do use leaf but foil is more common as you can get little tiny silver droplets with the foil.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-01-18, 4:22am

I have always used foil if only because leaf can be so hard to handle.

There is a link to a wonderful silvered ivory tutorial in this thread that may give you some other tips and ideas.

Tags
gold foil, gold leaf, silver foil, silver leaf