Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-01-28, 10:35am
Loving learning

You have made an excellent start!
Old 2018-01-28, 11:17am

Well done, you've made a grand start!
I think it's like driving a car - when you begin you have to think about every blasted thing, the pedals, the clutch, the gears - then after a while all that becomes automatic and you're free to think about where you're actually going.
Keep at it!
Old 2018-01-28, 11:30am

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I didn't think they were very good and I do get so annoyed at myself when I can't do something! I'm an antique restorer in 'real life' and precision is my daily work, so not getting results as good as I'd like is hard!

You're right Moira. I can see in my mind's eye exactly how to do it, but it's a different matter when I sit at the torch and try to co-ordinate everything.
Old 2018-01-28, 11:32am
Slogan Challenged...

practice is everything, but it's good you realize you should enjoy the ride those look great! love that you are doing stringer work already. Keep at it, it's a great skill to have. And i love periwinkle, try it with ivory sometime

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2018-01-28, 11:54am
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyann View Post
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I didn't think they were very good and I do get so annoyed at myself when I can't do something! I'm an antique restorer in 'real life' and precision is my daily work, so not getting results as good as I'd like is hard!
But I'm pretty sure you didn't just sit down one day and instantly pick up the skills to restore either, don't be hard on yourself! (says the woman who is always nit picking her own work, LOL)
Old 2018-01-28, 6:42pm
Phill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
But I'm pretty sure you didn't just sit down one day and instantly pick up the skills to restore either, don't be hard on yourself! (says the woman who is always nit picking her own work, LOL)
Absolutely This ^^^^^ !!!!

Be kind to the kid inside you while she learns to crawl and then to walk.

In a while you won't be able to nail her to a chair so give her time to become.
Old 2018-02-07, 4:17am

Hi all and thanks again for your invaluable advice.

I'm not going to go on boring everyone with my beadie attempts, you'll be pleased to know! I do have three that I'm reasonably pleased with at this stage, but they are all flawed in some way and I wanted to brain-pick to find out what I did wrong, if you don't mind.

The triangle bead I think I let droop a bit at one point and I'm not sure the dots were all exactly equally sized, so that's probably the issue there? I didn't quite cover all of the white areas with the transparent either.

The other two are disc implosions - a bit too advanced maybe, but I couldn't resist having a go! The bigger one isn't too bad, but has a black line around the base, which is where I added a little more clear. It's the same clear as the rest which hasn't got any lines and it wasn't heated any more fiercely. (it took AGES to do!)

The other thing is that the disc implosion tutorials/videos I've found all say to put dots right to the edge of the disc. I did so, but the outer dots don't get folded in by the clear. The petals from them seem to sit on the outside of the bead, almost. Is that correct?

The little implosion has a similar-ish thin dark line, but it's more like a shadow following the shape of the green dots - like a set of shadowy arches.

Sorry to rattle on and ask so many questions, but any input would be most appreciated, thank you

Addition: Wow! The pix came out huge! I think I need to work on that too!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Handyann; 2018-02-07 at 4:21am.
Old 2018-02-07, 7:04pm

Holy Toledo!! I was a lamp worker for 8 years or so then didn't for 7. I am now re-starting and so far doing mostly solid color practice beads trying to remember how the glass acts. Your beads are amazing! The fact that you have tried so many cool techniques is impressive! I think you're doing quite well! Be nice to you.
Old 2018-02-07, 11:38pm
Slogan Challenged...

that line is soot, from burning the clear. At some point, you probably had it too close to the torch head. That is really easy to do anyway, but more of a certainty when the bead takes so long. I think that the implosions turned out pretty welll in any case. Those are hard to do in a bead!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-02-08, 3:02am

Jeannie - thank you for your encouragement. I suspect I should probably be doing plain beads myself, to get the base principles down properly, but I can't resist the sooo pretty patterns!

Thanks for the explanation Kristin, I wondered if that might be it, but didn't think I'd got close enough to burn it. That bead took almost an hour and a half and I nearly water annealed it halfway through. Implosions in particular fascinate me, but I've a way to go yet to do anything nice. These ones aren't the prettiest beads imho!
Old 2018-02-14, 2:25am

I know this thread has gone wildly off-topic...my fault!... but the Newbie bit still applies

Quick question - is it possible to reheat an annealed and cold bead please? I made one last night which I'm pleased with, but realised this morning when I de-kilned it that I'd missed something vital off it. Nobody would notice if it was a floral or something, but it's an animal! Can I just put it back in the kiln on a slow ramp up or would it be safe to very slowly introduce it into the flame? It's very small.
Old 2018-02-14, 4:05pm
Loving learning

You are more likely to be successful if you let it ramp up with your kiln, then leave it long enough that the whole bead is evenly heated. Then you can put it way out in the flame, slowly working it toward you torch. If you do it too fast, or it doesn't like the way you are holding your tongue, or the day is too blue (in other words, who knows ) it may shatter, so be sure you have your protective glasses and anything else you wear (apron? sleeves?) on just in case.

I am assuming you have it still on the mandrel, on bead release in good shape.
Old 2018-02-14, 4:13pm

Foster Fire is a good bead release! Try something commercial..