Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Do you like the leaky pen and gellys pink colors?
LOVE em! 214 66.25%
Yuck!! 14 4.33%
Havent tried them,but they look cool! 95 29.41%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-02-01, 11:55am
make beads not war

Kevan, I didn't know about Messy 96 until recently. I love earth tones so I might be heading over there to Frantz or Phoenix.
Old 2007-02-01, 3:59pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa design View Post
Kevan, I didn't know about Messy 96 until recently. I love earth tones so I might be heading over there to Frantz or Phoenix.
I just ordered some of the smudge stick. That looks like a nice taupy brown.
Old 2007-02-02, 3:19pm

Okay, so it sounds like I need to adjust my schedule to ramp more slowly and as soon as the chart is finished I'll take the higher annealing temp and try that. Thanks so much for all the info Kathy. I want to be able to use all these brands together and this helps a lot.

Mary
Old 2007-02-02, 7:23pm
dances with ideas...

Wow, thanks Kathy although I think I just went into information overload lol. I certainly don't know this much info about any other type of glass I work with!

So if you made a bead with 2 colors and the slump temp for one was below the annealing temp range for the other (eg, bordello and french blue), would proportions of the colors determine whether it would deform? Or don't we know yet? I'm just trying to grasp this conceptually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-01, 8:28pm
Nature Coast

Here's a set made with leaky pen. Mixed it 50-50 with clear. Rolled in goldstone powder. I love this color!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-24, 7:58am
dances with ideas...

Angie, that set is great!

Old 2007-05-03, 6:16am
vinegar addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
Wow, thanks Kathy although I think I just went into information overload lol. I certainly don't know this much info about any other type of glass I work with!

So if you made a bead with 2 colors and the slump temp for one was below the annealing temp range for the other (eg, bordello and french blue), would proportions of the colors determine whether it would deform? Or don't we know yet? I'm just trying to grasp this conceptually.
Can we get an answer on this please? I have the same question about using it with Moretti. I have to say that I LOVE this glass but I won't buy any more or use it because of this issue. For example, I don't sit down to make CIM Cirrus beads only. I make what I want. And if I have to have the kiln higher than Moretti's slump point, or even other colors of CIM, in order it use Cirrus, I just won't use it. I don't want to slump beads in order to anneal others.

It's too bad, I really like it and I've been waiting FOREVER for a opal colors. They're so pretty! But it's just too difficult to use. If glass is 104, it should be able to be used with other 104 pretty easily. Same goes for ASK glass.
Old 2007-05-03, 6:35am
Glass my new Obsession

I have used Cirrus 50/50 with other colors and have not changed from Morettis annealing schedule.My beads have all been fine.I have also annealed 100% Cirrus in my kiln at same schedule with no problems
Tina

Old 2007-05-03, 8:38am
vinegar addict

Well, I put cirrus, halong bay, and peacock in the kiln with my Moretti before I found out about this and they all cracked. (some beads with 2 colors, some single color). It's apparently b/c the kiln garage temp was too low. I wonder if your beads will crack in the future. Some of mine cracked right away and some later on. Cirrus may make it if you anneal at 970 b/c that what the chart reads (it's the lowest anneal temp), but there are some that are even higher. I suppose I'd have to garage at a min of 970 for that color but some Moretti colors don't like that. And they're all over the board - the CIM colors. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 2007-05-03, 9:24am
Glass my new Obsession

I have beads from months ago and they are all fine.The only cracking issues I have had are from letting a bead cool too much while torching it.
Personally I love this line of glass because it melts so nicely on my HH.The only issue I had with it turned out to be a nice surprise instead.I rolled my seashells made of rose quartz in silver foil and was upset to see what I thought was scum.I put one in Etchall and the "scum"came off leaving me a pretty bead
BEFORE

AFTER

Some of the before ones had an almost fumed look to them.After etching I think the rose quartz ones look like an antique treasure from the sea
Tina

Old 2007-05-03, 9:26am
Glass my new Obsession

These are the spacers to the above shells

The Rose quartz ones are from the above BEFORE pic minus the one I lost down the drain while cleaning them
Tina

Old 2007-05-05, 8:44am

Default Rose Quartz

I can't figure out how to get this smaller. But this is Rose Quartz worked hot. I annealed it at 1050.

Old 2007-05-08, 4:23pm
Glass my new Obsession

Yummy color!

Old 2007-05-09, 8:58am
dances with ideas...

I really like your foiled beads Tina. Especially the rose quartz seashells! Thanks for showing the before and after.

Old 2007-05-09, 12:29pm
Glass my new Obsession

Thank you RobertaI really like the CIM colors alot.I am ordering the Hades next!
Tina

Old 2007-05-09, 5:44pm
Shine your bright side!

Here is a set made with leaky pen and cyrus. I really love the CIM glass.

You can see how saturated/desne the leaky pen color is in my end spacers when used alone. When pulled in the murrini cane it becomes much more translucent.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-05-10, 5:59am
Glass my new Obsession

Those are awesome Bonnie
Tina

Old 2007-05-12, 8:54am
dances with ideas...

Wow, I missed the rose quartz beads. I'm not a pink girl, but those are awesome samiam/vonna(?)!

And the leaky pen/cirrus murrini rock!

Old 2007-05-14, 9:55am
Dangerous Woman

Thanks a lot you guys! I had decided that I was NOT going to get into another kind of glass. I figured moretti, vetro, bullseye and boro were enough. But after reading this thread and seeing the beautiful colors you all got I just HAD to buy some!!! Thanks for giving this glass junkie another reason to feed her addiction!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-05-14, 6:49pm

I just added the new colors from CiM to my website. For those who don't know yet......"Hades" the new black is supposed to be like an "intense" black but half the price!!! Not supposed to turn purple or anything. I'm going to work with it tonite and test it out!!!!
I haven't had much time to play with any of the colors yet...I just seem to stare at them lol.
Irene

Old 2007-05-14, 6:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam17 View Post
I can't figure out how to get this smaller. But this is Rose Quartz worked hot. I annealed it at 1050.

This is just pure heaven!!!!
Irene

Old 2007-05-14, 7:51pm

Irene & (rainygirl) no pink - Thank you very much. "To Die For" ( WOW )

Irene ~ the Hades is awesome - unless you do something I don't - it turned out real shinny - put regular moretti white dots on top - no purple in the glass at all, but it had a reaction like turquoise does, with the striations. You will like it, to me it is really a nice clean black, cleaning wasn't hard either.

I will try and post a picture soon.

Bonnie those are awesome.
Tina - I love the sea shells, -
I think the cirrus is a great encasing glass.

This is Glacier! I swear it is like butter ~ I just used copper & silver foil that is it.

This is the Pate ~ just one color - I realize I work way to hot in the flame but the reactions I am getting out of the CIM glass to me is awesome.

This is regular glacier - I can't get the picture to work.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...lacier2514.jpg

This above is leaky pen with gelly sty, peacock, and cirrus.

Sorry for being a HOG - but I really like this glass..
If you want to see them bigger they are on my website.
Vonna

Old 2007-05-15, 10:31pm
hooked, completely!!!

we tested our hades last night - nice and dense - no hint of purple and doesn't spider react on ivory like nero intenso... more testing and combinations to be tried though!!!

a LOT easier to get the Nero too!...

Old 2007-05-15, 11:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassworks View Post
we tested our hades last night - nice and dense - no hint of purple and doesn't spider react on ivory like nero intenso... more testing and combinations to be tried though!!!

a LOT easier to get the Nero too!...

Nero Intenso? Is that the black intense? And sorry if I'm totally lost but what did you mean by alot easier to get the Nero too????

Irene

Old 2007-05-16, 9:45am
Renee Weaver

Well after seeing vonna's pink beads, I had to go look at my stash to see if I had any of the rose quartz. And I did. What does that say about my glass supply when I have glass and don't remember it? LOL Anyways, I got a little carried away watching american Idol while making them and before I knew it I had lots of pink beads. My husband thought these were gemstones, I love the glow.

Old 2007-05-16, 10:14am
Ellyloo-YAH!

wow.
Okay, i gotta make myself that.

Old 2007-05-16, 11:14am
Renee Weaver

ellyloo, work them hot and keep them hot or they go opaque and lose their translucent quality.

Old 2007-05-16, 12:46pm
Dangerous Woman

WOW Renee! I am another one of those "Not pink" people, BUT WOW! I had to get a lb of this glass! Now I can't wait to get it and melt it! And thanks for the tip about working hot!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-05-16, 4:35pm
Renee Weaver

Hi Nancy! Thanks! When you play with it, remember the "keep it hot the whole time" part. On the beads that I took away from the flame after getting pretty hot , turned opaque with reheating. Hot, cool, reheating, made opaque beads. The opaque look is pretty too, but I love the glow with the translucent. I batch annealed all the beads and what they looked like going into the kiln is what they looked like coming out.

Old 2007-05-16, 5:15pm

Default Rose Quartz and Blush

We recently introduced a new color called Blush.

Blush is the same tonality as Rose Quartz. It is still an opal but is more likely to stay transparent or translucent depending on the size of the piece (worked longer will lean more towards translucent than transparent).

Most people who use Rose Quartz find that it is easy to turn opaque if worked for any length of time. RQ only seems to stay translucent if worked quickly, such as for spacers.

This paddle is Blush- it's hard to see clearly but it is transparent with a bit of misty cloudiness there in the center.

If you are going for the translucent effect and plan to make anything other than spacers, I would recommend going for Blush, not Rose Quartz.

Hope that helps.

Renee, those beads are fabulous. They do glow like gemstones!
Attached Images

Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Color

[web]

[mail]