Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-05-01, 6:47am

Pat, IT"S GREAT!! So organized - so jealous and SO very happy for you. Enjoy every minute.
Old 2012-05-01, 11:48am
Practicing perfect

Congratulations Pat. On both your retirement and your new shedio. I want to be there too some day. I have a couple more years, but my studio/shed won't wait until then at least I hope. But if it does oh well, I have a pretty decent work space for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-04, 7:40pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

A few new pictures - I'm gradually getting settled in.

I found these wonderful tin drawer units at Hobby Lobby, 50% off. I love magnetic storage tins, so anything metal makes me really happy. Plus they gave me a way to add small shelves( for things like jars of frit) using some scrap plywood and the paint from the benches.

You can see my glass storage finally got put away in order - we'll see how long THAT lasts!

Added a message on one of the rafters - haven't touched my papercrafting tools much since this project began, it was a good excuse to use the Cricut.

my color-sorted collection of shorts

My Grandma's kitchen stool - some of the happiest moments of my childhood were kneeling on this stool stirring cookies in Grandma's kitchen. It's been in our kitchen for decades, painted black; I took it back to it's original white & red, and it's a perfect fit for the studio. You can see I've started moving art and jewelry supplies in.

Torch area, before use

Torch area, in it's natural state

The bench end now

I'm getting there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

Old 2012-05-04, 8:25pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Wow! That's one fabulous workspace!

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-05-04, 9:29pm

This is AWESOME!!! Great job Pat! You are one lucky Flamer!

LynieG
Old 2012-05-05, 3:23am

That is so great! I love all your colors!

Jen
Old 2012-05-05, 3:26am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I've put a lot into this project in terms of planning, dreaming, effort and expense - SOMEday I'll total up the receipts, but not sure I'm ready just yet - but it's been so worth it. It's been pretty much all I've thought about since DH proposed the idea way back in early February. Even though I've worked for it every step of the way, I still can't believe it's really mine - it makes me so happy just walking in there! I needed a post-retirement sanctuary (you will notice there's NO PHONE in there, and I've never given Mom my cell number) and this has turned out every bit as wonderful as I'd dreamed of. Now to find the time to actually get out there and play!

BTW - for the record, hot glass on 8 coats of poly smells BAD. Not "Bog of Eternal Stench" bad, but bad. Had a murinni cane break while I was pulling it, and a big piece flew over and landed in that little strip of exposed bench top between the steel and the glass storage. The GOOD news is, I didn't try to pick it up with my fingers.

We won't talk about me trying to squash an ant on my bench top with a fingertip... BEFORE I cleaned up. I think I shoved a shard of shattered stringer halfway to the bone. Hopefully I'll learn that one sooner or later, too!

L-111

Old 2012-10-11, 4:53am
Evil Glass Enabler

I never did see the dimensions for the "little barn". What are they? I have one that's similar but it's around the size of your DH's barn. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-10-13, 5:51pm

I love it. Congratulations!

Minor
Old 2012-10-18, 7:47pm

Your studio is wonderful.

Now go out and get a oxy/propane torch and oxy con and you will be all set.

Sharon

Old 2012-10-20, 8:22pm
@miniuniworld

That's an amazing studio! nice =) How come your hh is connected to a blue canister? I thought MAPP was in yellow canisters?

Learn how to help empower women to stand on their own two feet!
Old 2012-10-21, 5:20am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Angelique - the shed is 8x16, which of course means the inside is something like 7'4" x 15'4" by the time you allow for the studs and siding. For under $400 I COULD have gone 10' x 16' and it would still have fit in the spot I was trying to put it, BUT - thankfully I'm an obsessive planner, and because of the delay in ordering it I had lots of time to think it through, because the cost and complexity of finishing the interior would have skyrocketed.

With an 8' barn, all the features that span the width of the barn - overhead rafters, overhead decking, the supports for the torch bench and the shelf beneath it - could use 8' 2x4s and plywood. That extra 2 feet means 10' support timbers and piecing together the plywood, instead of simply trimming a full 4x8 sheet. Plus we'd probably have gone to 2x6 studs for the loft floor, because of the extra distance and the lack of structural integrity from not using a single sheet of plywood. My steel torch bench top and backer would have been larger, it would have been more insulation, more paneling, more paint... lots more $$ for a relatively small increase in space.

Sharon - I'm not in a huge hurry to step up right now. I need to stop bleeding cash on the studio for awhile, plus I can't run an oxycon out there (running off generator power for anything that needs more juice than lights and exhaust fan, plus it's going to be below freezing for a lot of the next few months, and I hear that's not good for oxcons) so I'd be stuck with bottled oxygen. Plus I like the portability the Hothead gives me - being able to throw my kit in the RV and torch at the beach is a nice perk.

miniuniworld - I'm running the Hothead on Propane. 1/3 the cost of MAPP while I was on cylinders; now I'm hooked up to a 30lb tank and I get 3-4 months out of a refill that costs less than 3 1lb MAPP cylinders did.

One update - we had enough of a cold snap that I put a small propane heater in the studio. The insulation job we did works BRILLIANTLY; running the heater for a few minutes is enough to warm the space right up, and once it's warm it STAYS warm. I'm able to turn the heater off when I'm ready to light the torch, and even with the exhaust fan running it stays comfortable. Of course, that was at temps in the high 30s - low 40s; when we're down in single digit and sub-zero weather it might be a little more problematic.

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2012-10-21 at 5:25am.
Old 2012-10-21, 5:41am
Evil Glass Enabler

In a way I'm very lucky. Mine was second hand so it came with the lofts. We had the bench already from the house in Arlington and just set it back up. Unfortunately the folks that had had it ripped out the wiring so we had to pull the sheet rock off, redo the wiring and replace a fair amount of sheet rock. Also the way they had done the floor had to completely be redone. It was linoleum, carpet squares and other moments as were some other things they had done. We also had to replace some insulation. We need to get the insulation in the roof and loft areas and sheet rock them but as long as I can torch I'm happy. I'll try to get some pictures posted regarding our studio. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-11-04, 4:34pm
Molten Glass Addict

Great Studio!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2013-01-05, 5:58pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Just an update - the insulation really does the job! I've worked out there on days when it's so cold I have trouble persuading the torch to light, and a small propane heater is enough to make the studio really comfortable. And once it's warm it STAYS warm for quite awhile - 4 or 5 hours after shutting everything off it's still 20 degrees warmer than outside, and that's with temps in the teens. I'm thrilled with how well it's working in cold conditions.

L-111

Old 2013-01-05, 9:26pm

Fun to read your post. My husband gifted me with a studio including torch, kiln and the other essentials of flameworking 3 years ago for my 50th birthday in January. He continues to be so supportive and I've been able to purchase an oxygen unit from the sales of my beads. getting more active in my local ISGB chapter, which I think is another amazing source of information and learning my passsion. it is fun to realize that we have something in common with all these LE peeps! Best wishes to you, Pat.
Old 2013-01-25, 8:01pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Weather update! We're COLD here - this morning we were 3 degrees, windchill about 12 below. I waited until the temps reached 18, went out and fired up the propane heater, let it run for a little while, then fired the torch. It was VERY difficult to get the torch lit - basically had a little flame thrower going for awhile until everything settled down - but once again, the insulation worked great.

It was quite comfortable working in there - the only real issue continues to be cold floors, I do intend to eventually buy a flame-resistant hearth rug to stand on. But I honestly can't picture trying to work out there in any colder conditions than today, so I can enthusiastically recommend the stone wool insulation.

L-111

Old 2014-03-20, 11:55am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

One additional update - the winter of 2013-14 has been brutally cold, and we ended up adding a heated floor mat for me to stand on after I did damage to my toes! It makes sense - the walls are heavily insulated, but all there is underfoot is a layer of plywood, with sustained subzero-teens weather that floor was COLD!

Here's what I'm using :

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ja...at-36-l-x-16-w

L-111

Old 2014-03-20, 1:06pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Wow I can't even begin to conceive of how cold that really is.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2014-03-21, 8:15am
Evil Glass Enabler

Are you tempted to insulate the floor yet so you don't lose all your heat though the floor? Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2014-03-21, 10:28am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

There really isn't any way to insulate the floors. And it's honestly not that big a deal, because when it's cold enough for the floors to be an issue there's a limited amount of time I want to be out there, anyway.

My space heater does a GREAT job of warming the space, and if I have the heater and the kiln running I'm really warm (other than my feet) EXCEPT - the makeup air streaming past my hands is still pretty damn cold, and there's no way I want to work more than an hour or so when it's below freezing.

L-111

Old 2014-03-21, 10:34am
Evil Glass Enabler

That makes perfect sense to me. You know what a wimp I am about cold! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
There really isn't any way to insulate the floors. And it's honestly not that big a deal, because when it's cold enough for the floors to be an issue there's a limited amount of time I want to be out there, anyway.

My space heater does a GREAT job of warming the space, and if I have the heater and the kiln running I'm really warm (other than my feet) EXCEPT - the makeup air streaming past my hands is still pretty damn cold, and there's no way I want to work more than an hour or so when it's below freezing.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2014-03-27, 5:59pm
Texas Art Angel

LOve all the updates and pictures. What is the blue tower and where in the world did you find it. Looks like it would hold tons of finding and beads
Thanks
Lori
Old 2014-03-28, 7:13am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I got mine from Global Industrial. VERY expensive, but the cheapest source I could find. Mine is 12 drawer units and the turntable base; the good news is, you can buy the components one at a time if you need to.

Here's the base:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st...0LmCh1cbQAAEAM

and here are the drawer units:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/st...et-steel-frame

You can get anywhere from 8 to 60 drawers per unit, and they all have dividers.

BE ADVISED - they have a couple of very small holes in the bottom - I'm guessing part of the molding process - and small seed beads will leak out. E beads or larger are fine.

L-111

Old 2014-03-28, 1:20pm
Texas Art Angel

Thanks for the info. Setting up a syudio is alot harder than I thought it was gonna be.
Lori
Old 2014-03-28, 3:37pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Deal with the safety stuff first, everything else is details that you can do over time.

L-111

Old 2014-03-28, 6:47pm
Texas Art Angel

Safety is my biggest concern. I thought I had my ventilation system figured out but now scrapping that and starting from scratch. SO much stuff to figure out for Ventilation and return air.
Old 2014-03-28, 7:38pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I think I spent more time on the ventilation design than on the rest of the design for the entire building. Most of which was research - reading everything the safety guys on LE had to say really steered me in the right direction - or at least in a direction that really seems to work for me.

L-111

Old 2015-10-25, 10:49pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Do you still use a hot head, Pat?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2015-10-26, 7:50am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
Do you still use a hot head, Pat?
Actually, I do. I have a MiniCC and a Hothead set up side by side and I use them both all the time. There are a number of things I actually prefer doing on the hothead.

L-111