Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2009-01-21, 8:34am

Default Converted website to blog-what do you think?

I decided to convert my web page over to a web blog using Wordpress this week. I think I have it all complete. If you have time to take a look I would appreciate any comments you might have. Thanks.

Last edited by Vena; 2009-01-21 at 8:53am.
Old 2009-01-21, 9:09am

Thumbs up Two thumbs UP! WAY UP!!!

You know what? That is one of the best, most pleasing, easy to use, quick loading lampwork artist web sites I've ever been to. Seriously. (I am extremely picky) Brava!!!

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2009-01-21, 9:49am

OH Janice,

Thank you so much you just made my day!!! No, I take that back you just made my year....thanks again.
Old 2009-01-21, 10:12am
Sheila

I completely agree with Janice. You totally nailed it! It's beautiful.

The only problem I found (and it's a little thing), is that the formatting isn't consistent on your FAQ page. I would recommend formatting all the paragraphs like the second one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-21, 10:23am
moth to the flame

Very nice Vena, I really like it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-21, 12:24pm

Thank you for all the input. Sheila I will definetly go check out that formatting. I did a cut & paste on that page so it sure could be out of whack. Thank you for pointing the formatting out.

Last edited by Vena; 2009-01-21 at 3:34pm.
Old 2009-01-21, 12:49pm
Against the Grain

I agree. It looks great!

Old 2009-01-21, 3:35pm

Sheila, I got the formatting fixed. Thanks again for pointing that out to me.
Thanks everyone else for the kudos. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 2009-01-21, 5:52pm
Storm Queen

Really nice! I just redid my entire website and I looked into loading Wordpress onto my server so I could keep my blog on my site but make it interactive and it just looked like too much of a headache to figure out. You done good!

Old 2009-01-21, 6:00pm

Amy, it really wasn't that bad. It took me a few hours playing around with it to figure it out. From there it was pretty much transferring information from old website into wordpress. I purchased a template that I customized with my colors, graphics, etc. If you decide to try wordpress let me know if I can be of any help.

I can tell you it has made my life much easier. I use to dread updating my website and my separate blog. Now its a breeze. There is also plugins for wordpress so you can turn it into an ecommerce site.

Anyway, I love the ease of using it and I highly recommend it.

Thanks for looking.
Old 2009-01-21, 6:03pm
Storm Queen

Honestly it was hare enough learning new web software (Expression Web instead of the old Frontpage 2000). I'm happy with what I have now but when I redo it (I seem to do that every four years or so!) I may look into it again.

Old 2009-01-21, 6:27pm

My site is currently down....I just screwed up...lol.
Old 2009-01-21, 8:36pm

Ok, its back up and running. I'm so stupid. If you haven't checked it out I hope you do now.
Thanks.
Old 2009-01-21, 8:54pm
moth to the flame

I looked again...lol....that delete button is a real pain at times!

When I am updating my blog I always have a copy of my posts saved in a Word doc, that way if I screw up I can go back and copy & paste. This works great...ask me how I know.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-22, 8:07am
Ad astra per aspera

It looks great! My website is awful and outdated. Maybe I need to look into Wordpress. Does it work with any host? I use GoDaddy.

Old 2009-01-22, 10:49am

Karen,
I use GoDaddy too. GoDaddy will help you set it up. You go into your hosting and you can add the Wordpress application. There are thousands of different templates you can use. If I can be of any help let me know. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 2009-01-22, 5:29pm
Sheila

Ouch! Wish I could say I hadn't done something similar, but I have.

It looks perfect! Excellent job, Vena.

Old 2009-02-08, 12:01pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

I've been trying for a few days now trying to convert my site to my wordpress blog like yours and Ive got a huge headache. I don't know how you did it but it looks great!!

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2009-02-08, 6:35pm

To make it easier on myself I purchased a wordpress theme which was very easy to customize. I had tried to do it with some free themes but I couldn't get everything I wanted in a free theme. I'm running the Flexx theme. It cost $80 bucks but it was worth every penny. It has it's own interface you go into to customize it.

If I can help just let me know. I'm no expert but I'd be glad to help if I can.

Thank you for the kind words.
Old 2009-02-08, 7:26pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Vena, do u have a host or it just wordpress? I want the wordpress style but with a photo gallery but I see you need a host to have plugins and thats were im lost.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2009-02-08, 8:20pm

My host is Godaddy. Its like $4.00 a month for them to host. They also have wordpress as one of their applications you can install.
Old 2009-02-09, 11:42am

Very nice Vena. A blog emulating a web site is very workable, you pulled it off nicely. Finding the theme for $80 works for me. It looks like money well spent.

I am fairly good with CSS and html and I spent days figuring out how to, and editing my theme in Wordpress. It is a versatile program with a ton of plugins available.

You did good.

Steve

Old 2009-02-09, 12:17pm

Steve, thank you for taking time to look at my site and comment. Your comments made my day.
Old 2009-02-09, 12:27pm
Button Queen

Your website looks really cool! I like it a LOT.

I'm currently just beginning to try to set mine up, and you have everything I'm looking for. Mind if I "copy" the layout of yours? And no, I wouldn't be using any of your pics, etc.

I'll have to go check out this WordPress.
Old 2009-02-09, 4:41pm

Barbara, I don't mind if you use the same layout. I purchased the template because it is easily customized for everyone. My template is called the "Flexx Theme". You can google it and find where I purchased it. I tried many, many free ones and finally threw in the towel and purchased Flexx because it is easy to setup and change. Thanks for the kudos...good luck.