Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-10, 10:04am

Default Alice's Bead Release

Hey everyone, I know there has been some discussion on the forum over the years about bead release, and I thought I'd chime in for anyone who is just starting out and might not know about Alice's. http://www.alicesstainedglass.com/release.htm

When I first started making beads someone told me about this stuff that you buy as dry powder and mix with water. I bought a couple of tubs of it and haven't used anything else since. One shipment lasts forever! I mix mine in a blender to make it really smooth, and then when it begins to dry out I just add a bit more water.

I know I sound like a commercial, but sometimes you just have to share a good thing with your friends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-10, 5:05pm

I could have written that post - just like you, I bought a tub back soon after I started making beads some years ago and haven't even made a dent in it hardly. Love Alice's. I tried various other releases, but none of them compared for me.

I don't like the lumps, but like you I just use a blender and sieve. It's strong stuff - I can't remember the last time the bead release gave way mid bead, it rarely happens. Equally though, the beads are just so easy to get off the mandrels afterwards. I have never had a stuck bead since starting to use Alices.

Emma

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Projects, articles, bead galleries

Art beads, clay & supplies

Old 2011-03-10, 5:35pm
Jacqueline Parkes

It was the first bead release I started with years ago and I may just go back since BOM dumped me.

Thank you for reminding me, it is good stuff.

Old 2011-03-10, 6:01pm
Hobby Junkie

Does it flame dry??? I'm not a "plan in advance" kind of girl.

Old 2011-03-10, 6:32pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I have some, but don't feel it stands up to well to pressed beads or beads worked a long time in the flame.

Ebay:
Old 2011-03-10, 6:40pm
Macaw Mamma

alice's is my fave!!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2011-03-10, 6:44pm
Macaw Mamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
Does it flame dry???
Yes!!!!!

Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2011-03-10, 7:22pm

Hi Killerbeedz, I've found that with Alice's I have my best success when I use mandrels dipped the day before when I'm doing pressed beads, but as long as I dry them gently even freshly dipped mandrels will work.

I actually prefer to dip a bunch of mandrels as I'm ending my session for the day so they are ready for me when I start again. But I've actually used mandrels that were dipped and sitting for weeks, and they still work. The stuff just never seems to go bad.

Old 2011-03-10, 7:44pm

Another vote for Alice's. I've used it for about 8 years and have had no problem with it. I haven't tried flame drying it, but I have used mandrels that were dipped in it and sitting around for months while my studio was being redone and I had no problems using them and removing the beads-- some pressed, some not.

I hope I haven't jinxed it now...

Mimi
Old 2011-03-10, 7:52pm
Redbearmountain

Hello, Is this bead release better than fussion from Frantz Art Glass. That is what I currently use! This release comes in 2 1/2, 5, 10 pound size bags. Not sure what size to purchase thinking about the 5 pound bag. How long will this last?

Old 2011-03-10, 9:00pm

I can't compare it to Frantz's because I haven't tried it. But I'm still working on the first 5 lb (dry) tub of Alice's and I've had it for 8+ years. I've gone through periods of no bead making, then pretty heavy production, so I think it would depend on how many beads you make and how often you make them. But a 5 lb tub of dry release should last you a good, long while.

Mimi
Old 2011-03-10, 9:18pm
Redbearmountain

Thank you! Well I torch everyday I make alot of beads! I make beads and jewelry fulltime. I will try a 5 pound bag and it if it lasts for several years that is amazing. I get the fussion 32 oz the biggest bottle and can go throught that fairly fast. Thanks Dianne for sharing I had never heard of Alices bead release. Niya

Old 2011-03-10, 9:47pm
Hobby Junkie

Does anyone use it with boro? I'm curious about how it holds up (I use both 104 and boro.)

Old 2011-03-10, 9:51pm

Sorry, can't help. I've only used it with soft glass.

Mimi
Old 2011-03-10, 10:10pm

I've only made a few Boro beads, and it seems to work OK, but I've only dabbled. I coat my mandrels in the middle, so I may use a little less bead release than some other people, but I also make a LOT of beads and my first 5 pounds lasted seven years.

Old 2011-03-10, 10:18pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I mix Fusion (which is sold by Frantz but it is not their *own*) with Alice's about 50/50. Holds up to pressed beads and boro... I love it.

BTW, I sell both Fusion and Alice's as well use this mix in the classes because it holds up that well.

Old 2011-03-11, 2:48pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbearmountain View Post
Hello, Is this bead release better than fussion from Frantz Art Glass. That is what I currently use! This release comes in 2 1/2, 5, 10 pound size bags. Not sure what size to purchase thinking about the 5 pound bag. How long will this last?
You will have plenty for YEARS....LOL!

It is good stuff and very very easy to get the beads off. I could never get it smooth enough, but then that's just me. I do have a really good blender now so maybe with a little more patience I could get it smoother. Never thought about putting it through a sieve though.
Old 2011-03-11, 6:06pm

Donna does not have it in stock. Is there anywhere else that sells it in the smaller quantities? I am definitely willing to give it a try!
Old 2011-03-11, 7:06pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I am out of stock right now but have some on the way. I'm in Hawaii right now anyway... If you want me to let you know when it comes in and I'm ready ship, just let me know.

Old 2011-03-11, 7:28pm
weird

Quote:
Does anyone use it with boro? I'm curious about how it holds up (I use both 104 and boro.)
Definitely. I make both soft glass and larger fully encased boro beads and Alice's holds up to tugging, marvering and shifting, and long periods of time in the flame. The only problem I've is small pieces flaking away near the holes with the excessive heat and occasionally sticking to the bead, but only with boro. It's easy to pluck it away, and the beads always come right off the mandrels and are easy to clean.

(This is timely, I wrote up an entire post for my blog in praise of Alices, but haven't published it yet.)

Sarah
Old 2011-03-11, 7:43pm
Ex-lurker

Another vote for Alice's. I don't bead a whole lot, but when I do, Alice's is what I use and teach with too. Great stuff...

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2011-03-11, 9:06pm

Hi Bethany, I get mine straight from Alice at http://www.alicesstainedglass.com/release.htm

Old 2011-03-11, 9:41pm
KitseyBelle

I am also a big fan, using the same bag that I got when Alice taught here in Medford years ago.
Old 2011-03-11, 10:41pm
Macaw Mamma

Quote:
I use it with Boro.... works the best for me out of all the others I have tried

I prefer it too cause I can mix my own, I can make it the consisitency I want and I always have fresh stuff

Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2011-03-12, 4:20pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Amen, this stuff is the BEST. It's all I've been using for years & just finished my first tub. Now I'm about to open my 2nd tub which will last for several more years.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-05-10, 8:30pm

Ok have tried it and I am SOLD! I love this release. I used 104 and boro with it and have had no problems. No popping or flaking, easy peasy to remove the beads and to clean them!
Old 2011-05-10, 9:15pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Did you mix with something else or are you just using the Alice's by itself?

I could never get it to mix right... that's why I started mixing it with the Fusion... course that was about 5 years ago or so. I may try using it by itself again.

Old 2011-05-11, 5:33am

I just used the Alice's. I got it to the consistency of heavy cream or pancake batter. It looked thin on the mandrels until it dried. After a light finger sanding I am ready to go!
Old 2011-05-11, 7:30am
Hobby Junkie

Alright! You people convinced me to buy some. I'll post what I think after it gets here and I've used it (and abused it a bit).

Old 2011-05-11, 7:50am
And silence is golden

Diane, for some reason your link to the bead release doesn't seem to work. I don't know if anyone else is having a problem with it, but if so here is another link.

Alice's Bead Release