Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-31, 12:45pm

Default e-checks

I have a Paypal account with a verified checking account backed by a credit card. In the last week, I have received emails from Paypal saying my e-check has cleared. This seems to happen when I have funds from a transaction on eBay in my Paypal account and use that to purchase something...Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? Many times I see...no echecks here on LE and I don't really know why Paypal is doing an e-check when I have a verified bank account etc. and I would hate to try an purchase something and have Paypal issue an e-check......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my children have paws
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2011-07-31, 12:56pm
Entropy increasing....

This has happened to me as well, twice. One was a refund that I sent someone. I never send an e check and I have as a back up the Paypal Smart Connect credit they gave me. Any over charge on my Paypal balance is supposed to come from there. They took it out of my bank account as an echeck. I never would have authorized that because last time the did the same thing and I didn't have money in that bank account. I don't keep money in there, it's just the account I use for Paypal.

So they over drew my bank account and my bank charged me $35.
Old 2011-07-31, 4:00pm
one day at a time

If you also add in your bank's ATM/debit card, then when you purchase something and if there isn't enough in Paypal, they can instant transfer the rest from the debit card. Just that you must have the funds in the bank, of course.
Old 2011-07-31, 4:28pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I had a similar thing happen 2 weeks ago. One was a partial refund I gave someone and one was a refund someone gave me. Both said they were e cheques. I've never used an e-cheque, wouldn't know how and certainly would have no reason to use one.
I wondered if paypal is doing that so they can hold the money longer.

I've read about e-cheques and they take at least 4 days to clear. Now that banks clear cheques in 24 hours why should paypal get to take 4-5 days?

namaste

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-08-13, 1:36pm

My thoughts exactly. I've looked all over the PP site and can't find any options to opt out of e-checks. I guess next time I have funds in my Paypal, I'll try changing the way it automatically pays from PP funds first and see if that helps. I don't mind e-checks on refunds, most of the time I'm refunding an overpayment of shipping on my e-Bay charges but don't want it to happen here in the Garage Sale or on Etsy.......................

Old 2011-08-13, 2:28pm
Alaska Boro

This PayPal eCheck option is one of those that is not easy to find....

profile > my selling tools > getting paid and managing my risk > block payments > update

Under - "Payment Receiving Preferences" > "Block the Following Payments" > put a check mark in the box "Pay with eCheck or German bank transfer......" and save your setting.
Old 2011-08-13, 5:47pm

I'm trying to find the option for Paypal not to issue e-checks from me...it only seems to do it when I am paying for something with Paypal funds as opposed to a bank transfer.

Old 2011-08-13, 7:02pm
Macaw Mamma

My pp account sent out e-checks when the cc associated with my account had expired and I did not update the info.... I was paying from my bank account not a credit card, so it didn't make sense.
About 2 weeks after the e-check thing happened, I recieved a letter via snail-mail telling me that I needed to update my account

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2011-08-13, 10:27pm

From Paypal:
By having a credit card and bank account, we eliminate the echeck option. The reason behind this is because the "instant transfer" method of payment still uses the bank. The difference is that PayPal "fronts" the money on this method and we wait for the funds to clear from your bank. So you still use your bank account.
--
If I read this right, it means that echecks are sent when the user ONLY has a bank account on file (no credit card).
Old 2011-09-03, 12:52am

Hmmmm, I recently purchased items here in the garage sale and the funds were transferred w/o "e-check" even when using some PP funds and some bank account funds. I have a credit card/bank account verified in Paypal. However, whenever I issue a refund to a customer from eBay (usually due to shipping overcharge calculation), Paypal still issues the refund as an "e-check". Guess if their funds don't clear in the first place, the e check wouldn't clear either. Anyway, it appears that I was worried over nothing .........