No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-09-12, 4:47am
Confused as usual

Default ventilation .. giving me a headache

Hmm.. ok I am getting my headache from just thinking about a proper ventilation setup. Right now I am working with a Hot head torch I know my ventilation is prob not good enough but I do have good fresh air flow coming in I only torch for 1 to 2 hours at the most a day , However I do want to upgrade my torch to a minor with oxy-con so I know I need to upgrade ventilation and I want to use lots of silver glass . So would just wearing a good mask help or be easier . What are the dangers of inadequate venting exactly . and what is the smallest easiest ,cheapest vent setup I could get away with for such a small amount of torching I do at home. Cause I get a headache just trying to figure it all out Help Please !!

Last edited by Jazarra; 2011-09-12 at 5:17am. Reason: spelling
Old 2011-09-12, 7:20am
Gentleman of Leisure

The absolute simplest is open a window, put a 20 inch box fan in front of window blowing out and then put torch between you and window (on bench in front of window)....

Better would be something with a "hood" or capture zone (fume cabinet).... Use method above but also build a box around the fan/window to catch the CO and NOX gasses when they are generated by the torch.... Any non flammable materials can be used....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum....php?f=22&t=90

The two above will work, but the absolute solution is to study the concepts of ventilation and "design" a system that operates efficiently and allows you to enjoy working with glass safely...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-09-12, 9:49am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Masks are chiefly designed to filter out particulates. There are some that filter out gaseous products but they tend to be expensive, cumbersome (large) and restrictive so you would probably abandon wearing one.

The very basic reason to have a vent system is to provide you with clean fresh air to breath. In doing so the system evacuates the harmful contaminates as quickly and efficiently as possible without any of them mixing back into the breathable air.

As Dale says small, efficient, inexpensive and simple systems are possible. It just takes some planning and thought.

Good luck, PJH