Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-10-29, 6:01pm
Just getting started!

Default Make-up Air

I need to bring in makeup air via. ducting and I was going to bring it up through the back of my table. Does it matter if the ducting is flexible and there's 10-15ft of it from the window to my table (with multiple bends and turns)? Will the hood still automatically draw air from it?

It looks like I'll be using a 747cfm inline and a galvanized steel bucket (maybe round or oblong) with baffle on the sides and back as my hood set-up.

Because it gets so cold, I can't leave a door or window open, but it's a bit of a distance to the window. (My vent window is right in front of my table though )

Thank you!!

Imadesigns....Creativity Unleashed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-10-29, 6:48pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Smooth wall (steel) duct will have less static pressure (resistance to air flow)...

Vent system (hood+duct+fan) should create slight negative pressure in studio there for it will draw air from any available source...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-10-31, 6:18am

I put a duct fan at the entrance to my makeup air duct that comes up through the table, the original fan from my Glasscraft hood. Adding a little power to the system provides more air than a passive draw, especially if you have turns and flex duct that increase the static pressure. Air will flow the path of least resistance and if your intake duct has too high static pressure then it won't work as well, if at all.

Robert
Old 2011-10-31, 11:23am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Something that gets little mention here is that cold make up air comming thru the ducting will cool the warm moist room air and may pose a problem with sweating. It may be necessary to insulate the ducting.