Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-07-03, 7:07pm
Formerly FishBulb

Default Simple Barnacle Murrini Tutorial

If you want to make easy and organic barnacle murrini for your seashore beads, here is a tutorial for doing so.

You'll need:

2 bent or otherwise cruddy mandrels, at least 3/32
Clear
White
Two types of gray -- I used Fossil Medium and Dark Gray Medium but any grays will do
Black

Pull your black into two or three stringers before you begin. I neglected to do so and had to wing it with full rods.

1. Melt a fair sized gather of clear on the end of one of the mandrels. Make sure the mandrel is red-hot at the end.

[ATTACH]Name:  P1010611.jpg
Views: 7354
Size:  26.4 KB[/ATTACH]

2. Apply a layer of white, making sure the white touches the mandrel entirely and also completely covers the clear on the other end of the ball. Apply a second layer. You can see the second layer being formed over the first:

Name:  P1010613.jpg
Views: 7215
Size:  26.6 KB

3. After melting the white into a smooth ball, apply four lengths of the gray of your choice, making sure all four lengths touch the mandrel and each other at the other end:

Name:  P1010617.jpg
Views: 7254
Size:  30.5 KB
Name:  P1010616.jpg
Views: 7137
Size:  30.7 KB

4. Apply your other gray, making sure it touches the mandrel and each other at the other end:

Name:  P1010618.jpg
Views: 7191
Size:  31.3 KB

Hold on for more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-07-03, 7:17pm
Formerly FishBulb

5. Place your black stringer on top of the thicker of your grays. This can be jagged (thankfully, 'cause it is on mine) because it will pull out, and it will also look okay on an organic murrini like this:

Name:  P1010620.jpg
Views: 7206
Size:  30.4 KB

6. By now you're getting quite a collection of glass at the tip of the ball from all the stripes meeting each other. Heat and pull some of this off with tweezers:

Name:  P1010621.jpg
Views: 7171
Size:  30.3 KB

7. Now heat the tip thoroughly so the stringers, stripes, white and clear are all hot right through:

Name:  P1010622.jpg
Views: 7084
Size:  29.2 KB

8. Heat the end of your second mandrel until glowing and push it straight into the heated tip of your ball. Make sure the mandrel pushes through all the layers of glass but do not drive it in too horribly far:

Name:  P1010623.jpg
Views: 7228
Size:  34.5 KB

Please note there is no need for the assembly to be vertical at this time. I had to hold it this way to take a photo since my ungrateful offspring was nowhere to be found when I was doing this, and I had to take these pics myself.

9. Once the second mandrel is in, hold the assembly horizontally and begin to heat gently. NOTE: Do not begin to pull the murrini while the stripes are not completely melted in. These are not yet melted in all the way:

Name:  P1010626.jpg
Views: 7157
Size:  30.7 KB

Hold on for part three...

Old 2010-07-03, 7:28pm
Formerly FishBulb

10. After turning the whole assembly carefully through the flame, being careful to not twist the glass, it should be fully melted in like this:

Name:  P1010627.jpg
Views: 7128
Size:  33.5 KB

Now you're ready to heat and pull.

11. Heat the whole thing to red-hot, again being careful to not twist the glass. You can manage this by turning both mandrels in the same direction at the same time. Once the whole thing is red hot, remove from the flame and count slowly to two or three, then gently begin to pull:

Name:  P1010628.jpg
Views: 7197
Size:  31.1 KB

Pull slowly so you don't get incredibly thin parts (unless you want them that way!). I do this vertically with the thicker part of the pull at the higher point, because the heat will travel to this thicker part and help to even the pull. Keep pulling until you can't pull any more:

Name:  P1010629.jpg
Views: 7150
Size:  47.0 KB

12. Lay the piece down and cut the ends off the pull with a glass nipper. Sorry, but that pic didn't turn out!

13. You should now have a length of stripey cane that looks like this:

Name:  P1010631.jpg
Views: 7237
Size:  29.4 KB
Name:  P1010632.jpg
Views: 7173
Size:  27.4 KB

Hold on for one more post!

Old 2010-07-03, 7:33pm
Formerly FishBulb

You'll want to trim them fairly thin. Here is a barnacle murrini chip next to a regular murrini chip:

Name:  P1010636.jpg
Views: 7115
Size:  28.0 KB

If you make them thin, they will be less likely to draw inward on themselves.

To use: Heat the spot on the bead where you want it to go, press it on (after preheating on your torch marver or on top of your kiln), heat and press it on gently with your marver. Reheat and voila!

Name:  il_fullxfull.147539322.jpg
Views: 7084
Size:  78.3 KB

Old 2010-07-03, 7:34pm

I'm holding on Angie! oh lol we must have posted at the same time.
You have made an awesome tut.Great pics and clear instructions,
Thanks so much,I love the fishbulb barnacle and will try them in my beads.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripz

Last edited by volkanokaren; 2010-07-03 at 7:42pm.
Old 2010-07-03, 7:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

fantastic!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-03, 7:35pm
Formerly FishBulb

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. Also, please show your beads with barnacles!

Old 2010-07-03, 7:39pm

Angie you are so sweet!

Thanks for the tutorial!

Becky
Old 2010-07-03, 7:40pm

Love it! Thanks.
Old 2010-07-03, 7:53pm

Thanks, great tutorial....can't wait to try it. Anita
Old 2010-07-03, 7:57pm

Angie..what a fantastic tutorial! I honestly think I could try murrini after reading.I still have trouble with twisties and hopefully with Mary Lockwoods tut on encasement..will be able to that much better.Its amazing how many little details have to be planned out way before assembling a bead. Fascinating stuff!
"

Old 2010-07-03, 8:27pm

Thanks so much! You did an excellent job!
Thanks for sharing.

~Spanish Lights~ - New on my Etsy

Old 2010-07-04, 10:21am

You did a great tutorial. I've been playing around with starfish and sand dollars so I can't wait to add this element.

Thanks so much!

Kathy

Old 2010-07-04, 10:24am

Thanks Angie. Nice tut. If you use ss chopsticks that are rather cheap it is easier not to twist either hand. Learned this tip from Kristen Franzen Orr.
Old 2010-07-04, 10:45am

Thanks so much Angie.

I've been watching this post. It looks awesome. I can't wait to try it ... I'll be working in Bullseye though along with enamels for the beach bead. Fun ... fun ... fun.

Hope it turns out half as well as yours!!

Old 2010-07-04, 11:19am

Thanks, very cool.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2010-07-04, 12:42pm
Oh my!

Thank you so much. You make it look so easy that I am going to try this technique later today.
Old 2010-07-05, 6:49pm
Glass my new Obsession

I made some up today.I will try them on beads tomorrow

Old 2010-07-06, 9:23am
Glass my new Obsession

I have beads in the kiln! Thank you for making this tutorial

Old 2010-07-06, 9:52am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Great Tutorial Angie!!!!!! Thank you so much!!! Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-07-06, 11:46am
Master Procrastinator

Great tute! One question though, which black did you use? transparent or intense?

Old 2010-07-06, 1:11pm
Formerly FishBulb

Lea, I just used the regular Moretti black transparent. I think either one would be fine though!

I'm glad people are enjoying the tut! Please do show your results. I'd love to see them!

Old 2010-07-06, 2:43pm
Bead Geek!

A million thanks for posting that! So very cool...my kids have been asking for some "ocean themed" beads and I can't wait to try to make your barnacles!!
Thanks again-
Prax

You must do the things you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt

-my blog (Don't be scared-go visit!)
Old 2010-07-06, 2:47pm
I think I could be a bead

Angie, this is an amazing tutorial. Thank you for sharing!

Old 2010-07-06, 3:04pm

Thanks Angie! That is sweet of you to share that with us!

Cheryl

Old 2010-07-07, 6:45pm

Awesome. I will try this in the morning. That is great. Thank you so much for this.

Rose Leslie
Old 2010-07-07, 6:54pm

Angie,
Thanks so much for being so generous and sharing this tut. I have been wanting to try this and your instructions were very clear and the pictures so helpful. Great job!

Pat
Old 2010-07-07, 9:56pm
Resident Luny

This was fab, and so fun to read, too! Thanks!

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2010-07-08, 11:29pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Angie you're a sweetheart to post this tutorial!! Thanks so much!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2010-07-09, 1:20am
She's Back & Burnin'

Oh girl, you did a fantastic job on this tutorial!!!!

I can't believe the pics turned out so good! I don't know how you managed to do it with everything else you were holding...

I know about the "ungrateful child" thing too. ugghhh....

Sara