No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-10, 7:12am
sunscreen me baby

Default How to cut smooth even murinni?

I got the nippers recommended in another thread but I still can't seem to make nice even looking pieces. How do I make them thin and uniform like I see for sale? Is it just practice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-10, 9:16am
Storm Queen

What nippers did you get? You're one step ahead of me.

Old 2011-04-10, 9:36am
sunscreen me baby

Red ones I don't remember, I've had them for a while. But Hayley recommended them and I know she cuts nice murinni.

~

Old 2011-04-10, 9:40am

I have the same question. What I don't like about my nippers is the two little rough areas where the nips touch the glass.

Question for you guys: Do your disk nippers' disks turn REALLY easily? Mine spin and make it hard to cut.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-04-10, 9:44am
Born Facing Left

Lara, you can tighten the discs! Mine tighten with an allen wrench. They're meant to rotate when you need a 'fresh' cutting surface, otherwise they shouldn't move at all.

Old 2011-04-10, 6:42pm

Thanks Sherry, mine don't tighten with the allen wrench. I think they are defective.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-04-10, 7:53pm
I fart diamonds

I use tile/mosiac nippers sometimes and they work really well. Otherwise, i just use my cheap disc nippers that I got from Harbor Freight. The trick is making sure your cane is being held straight to begin with.

Old 2011-04-11, 5:28am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Diamond band saw. LOL

Old 2011-04-11, 5:49am
birdergirl ~o~

Ask De ~ the murinni I got from her are reallllly thin and very even.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2011-04-12, 3:24pm
dances with ideas...

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=murrini
It has a link to De's method, as well as tips from others.

Old 2011-04-12, 4:09pm
da General

Suzy - did you get the disc nippers or the Japanese ones?

The trick to using the disc nippers is to make sure you got a good pair! lol!

Then it's just a matter of lining the murrini up - sight it from the top and make sure that your murrini rod is perpendicular to the discs and it's the thickness you want, then sight it from the front to make sure that your murrini rod is placed at the apex of both discs (you can close the discs without your murrini rod and mark where they almost touch with a sharpie). Then you just cut one to test and adjust if necessary. Also make sure you squeeze hard and "NIP" quickly instead of slowly squeezing the handles which doesn't make a good cut (hope that makes sense).

I used to line up every chip (especially the thicker ones) and adjust if needed . . . then after a while, you get the hang of it. I still need to line up the really thick ones!

Diamond saw doesn't give a clean surface and requires polishing, unfortunately.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-12, 6:26pm
sunscreen me baby

I got the Japanese ones. I think I was doing it too quickly. I will line them up one by one until I get good enough.

Thanks everyone! This was most helpful

~

Old 2011-04-12, 7:07pm
Macaw Mamma

Here is a great link that DeAnn shared

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...utting+murrini

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2011-04-12, 7:34pm
da General

Suzy - with the Japanese nippers, I use the very bottom for the thinner murrini rods. Just position the bottom corners at the apex of the rod and nip. For the thicker rods, I position it right where the blades are the closest to each other when the nippers are closed. The trick is to angle the rod so it's perpendicular to the blade. Again cut and adjust!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-12, 7:36pm
da General

Just read what De posted in the other thread - interesting that she places the rod slightly off center while I find that dead on the apex works best for me. Guess you need to figure out your own sweet spot!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-12, 8:41pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I find that wiping the blades frequently helps, too.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-04-12, 9:44pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey all...

I just wanted to pop in here and say "Hi" and yes, like Hayley said above, it takes a little practice and testing to see where the perfect "sweet spot" is for each of us!

I just went and edited my thread (linked in Post #13 above) to clarify that my photos are quite exaggerated and really, my TRUE sweet spot is far closer to middle than shown there! Still, I have tried to pay close attention and I find that just a smidge from true center seems to be where I always end up.

Let us know how you're coming along, ok Suzy?

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-04-13, 8:35am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
I find that wiping the blades frequently helps, too.
Thanks for the tip, Lori! Do you wipe them with anything (e.g., rubbing alcohol) or just a clean cloth?

|
|
|
|