Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-25, 5:06am

Default Transparent Turquoise Color?

I've seen it in implosions but can't figure it out. Does anyone know if it's from fuming or a silver color?

TIA
Old 2011-02-25, 6:26am
Pyromaniac

Have you tried NS Irrid, Turquesa or Multi? It's been a while since I imploded them but I believe they implode fairly transparent.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-02-25, 7:03am

Chris, I haven't tried imploding them but in beads I've never gotten turquoise. I'll try though, thanks.
Old 2011-02-25, 8:37am
Pyromaniac

I have tried Momka's Crystal Blue mixed with NS Paris Green and it will make a transparent aqua green. You can mess with the proportions of each color to get what you want.

Oh and try thinning out Unobtanium with quite a bit of clear, crystal blue or paris green.
You may be able to get a really pretty sparkly turquoise that way.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2011-02-25 at 8:44am.
Old 2011-02-25, 9:18am
Newb boro fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I've seen it in implosions but can't figure it out. Does anyone know if it's from fuming or a silver color?

TIA
Can you link an example?

Old 2011-02-25, 9:50am

Ok, these are not what brought this to mind, I was actually looking at some of Onekura's other pendants on his site. I bought a heart off someone else on Etsy but can't find it at the moment to show you, that also has a turquoise trans. in it.

Onekura, if you read this please realize I am not trying to copy and don't like asking people how they did something. I'm using your pendants as a beautiful example of the color I'd like to be able to achieve. Your work is gorgeous!

That being said scroll down to post #51 to see the color. I see he said he fumed and I was wondering if there is a color out there I had missed aside from fuming. When I work the AP's in a pendant I get cream, but I'm so taken with the colors he/she achieved.

I will now start praying I didn't offend anyone......

Post #51
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=186324&page=2
Old 2011-02-25, 9:52am

Thank you Lana. I don't have Paris Green. I do have the other one though. Let's see, how can I sneak another order in the house.......
Old 2011-02-25, 9:56am

I think I'm ok. Onekura did post this:

it is APs with fumed clear stringers between them - all done on solid clear rod

Do people usually get turquoise from fuming? I never realized that.
Old 2011-02-25, 10:06am
Pyromaniac

Onekura's pendants are really cool, they exhibit pretty much the whole spectrum of A/P's striking range. Amber purples need to be worked in an oxidized flame, and if they're encased they tend to get a cream-colored outline or haze covering them. From what I hear, There are ways around that, the key being to keep the pendant really hot when you're working it. If it cools down too much even for a second it's all over. I've not had a whole lot of luck applying this.

After checking the site, Onekura uses a lot of fume, it seems. Try fuming silver (or gold... or both!) over a clear maria (or a bubble if you're working tubing), dot with a transparent color (lighter shade of cobalt or some of the reactives I mentioned above), burn off the uncovered fume and implode it.

I've done what Lana suggested and mixed unobtanium down with clear and it does make a nice sparkle blue color. Super unobtanium might yield slightly different shades.

Last edited by Bunyip; 2011-02-25 at 10:11am.
Old 2011-02-25, 10:10am

I've played with fuming a bit and have gotten cream and blues. Oh well, that's what keeps us melting! Always trying to eek out more color..... I'd die to get the full spectrum!
Old 2011-02-25, 10:29am

I was going to suggest GA Amazon Carnival or Green Carnival but on the GA website they have a transparent teal colour which might give you what you want as well. It's not quite turquoise but if you played around with it you might be able to get it to what you want.

http://glassalchemy.com/cart/teal-531.html

edit:
when i just searched Turquoise on the GA site it suggested Havanna Moon Lite as an option, the pic looks solid but it is listed as translucent so it does let some light in i suppose.
Old 2011-02-26, 4:24pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Ok, these are not what brought this to mind, I was actually looking at some of Onekura's other pendants on his site. I bought a heart off someone else on Etsy but can't find it at the moment to show you, that also has a turquoise trans. in it.

Onekura, if you read this please realize I am not trying to copy and don't like asking people how they did something. I'm using your pendants as a beautiful example of the color I'd like to be able to achieve. Your work is gorgeous!

That being said scroll down to post #51 to see the color. I see he said he fumed and I was wondering if there is a color out there I had missed aside from fuming. When I work the AP's in a pendant I get cream, but I'm so taken with the colors he/she achieved.

I will now start praying I didn't offend anyone......

Post #51
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=186324&page=2
Those pendants appear to be silver and gold fumed to me. When you combine silver and gold, you can get any color you can imagine.

Old 2011-02-26, 11:20pm
Bernhard Riegler

Dear Rose
I think you refer to the AP pendants. I used a 14mm clear rod and put 4 different APs about 30mm long swipes on. The gaps between were filled with a 5mm clear rod that I fumed with silver before to get better dividing lines. All this melted in and twisted about 90°. Then shaped into a pendant.
And I dont mind sharing everything I do - - and please feel free to copy it - thats how we all learn and get ideas. If I can help you with any technique please feel free to ask.

By the way - those wonderful electric blues you can get with silver - - - the trick is to use only very little - otherwise it goes creamy white. I use a lot of gold and silver - I think it is cheaper than color rods and by mixing you can get just about anything - like Cosmo said. Look at his work . . . he was my inspiration . . .

and - by the way - I am a he - Bernard - and I live in Kerikeri - Bay of Islands - Northland - New Zealand - right next to the most beautiful bush with a Barracuda in my garage . . . .

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2011-02-26, 11:29pm
Newb boro fanatic

Wow, I was sure there was gold fume in those too, because of the greens you were getting! Esp that 3rd one in this post... Amazing. I think I'm gonna practice my fuming today haha

And I hope anyone you know in Christchurch is ok...

Old 2011-02-27, 12:29am
Bernhard Riegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Wow, I was sure there was gold fume in those too, because of the greens you were getting! Esp that 3rd one in this post... Amazing. I think I'm gonna practice my fuming today haha

And I hope anyone you know in Christchurch is ok...
Hi Rodger
Yeah, that 3rd one is slightly different (experimental). You are right, there is some very light gold fume on it. That green is a mixture of silver, gold, lots of clear and a wonderful color called "english ivy" - don't know exactly where I got it from, but it reacts with the fuming in very intense colors. I used the clear to "thin it down" and give it the whispy smoky feel. Hope this makes sense . . .

Old 2011-02-27, 4:22am
Unmedicated since '62

Ooh, i have a sample rod of English ivy, I'm going to go play

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-02-27, 4:47am
He can do the origami

Bunyip.... I encase almost all my AP pendants and they do not get a cream colored haze on them. You have to burn all the haze off of them before encasing. After you burn the haze off completely it is generally easy to encase without that haze.

You are right you do have to work it hot to set it up for striking and it does not like to be in that medium hot stage. But if it cools down for even a second it is not actually all over....... heat it up again VERY hot until the AP goes totally transparent, then crash cool it below glow and put it in the kiln. It will be set up to strike and the colors will pop. Hopefully these two tips help.
Old 2011-02-27, 5:35am

Bernard,
Thank you! It's sounds like you live in a heavenly place many of us only dream of.

I played with this technique the other night but not much luck. I think when I get more oxy that will help. I also need to work on my fuming. When I fumed I just got a spatter of metal all over. I know it's all PPP and reading up about it.

One question: When you lay down the 5mm clear that is fumed, doesn't the fume burn off when you heat it? Or do you encase it?

Thank you for sharing so openly. Your work is to die for!

Rose

PS: Now I will have a use for English Ivy. I've never appreciated that stuff before.
Old 2011-02-27, 9:49am

I also wanted to note that I have Cosmos' pendant tute and it explains fuming. I just went back and read it and see what I was doing wrong. I highly recommend his tutorial! I can't wait to play with this today.
Old 2011-02-27, 12:29pm
Bernhard Riegler

Dear Rose
The silver will burn off a little, but as I said, a little silver gives you the best colors - there is enough left to do the job - and it is not encased.
Thank you for the compliment.
I use only a tiny ammount of silver on a 6mm rod for fuming - with a reducing flame and I fume quite a lot on - it almost goes brown, then I turn the oxy up and burn some off until I get those slightly blue hues. With gold I use a very oxydising flame and fume until is looks pink - sometimes even more to get the gold plated look. The gold doen't seem to burn off so easy. I think it is much easier than silver fuming.
When you melt it in, do it at the end of the flame - reduces burn off.

good luck and have fun
Bernard

Old 2011-02-27, 5:58pm

Thanks Bernard. I played with it today. I definitely need to keep practicing as my gold fume didn't seem to take much. I did make some pendants that are an improvement over the last ones. Will have to see what comes out of the kiln tomorrow. It sure is fun! I did encase my stringers that I fumed since i didn't know. Also used some Ivy. Am striking at 1075 for 30 min. before annealing just to see what happens. Thanks so much for sharing, this has opened up so many possibilities and makes boro exciting again!
Old 2011-02-28, 7:08am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Bunyip.... I encase almost all my AP pendants and they do not get a cream colored haze on them.
Any time I implode A/P I get a cream-colored implosion with hints of purple behind it if I'm not careful to keep it warm. I DO have lots more luck encasing A/P Smiley-style, which is what it sounds like you're doing. Maybe it's only deep encasement that's the issue? Or am I doing something wrong?

Old 2011-02-28, 7:14am
Newb boro fanatic

I got both cream or trans blue effects from encased DAP frit, depending on how much haze gets burnt off I think... if it's clear when it gets encased, it ends up blue, and if its hazy/orange it goes creamy... I think. I could be wrong lol

Old 2011-02-28, 7:34am
Pyromaniac

I get this a lot:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=65

so I tend to avoid amber purples in that application...unless that's what I'm going for in the first place that is.

Old 2011-02-28, 7:44am
Newb boro fanatic

Here's two things of mine done with DAP frit:

Both only really flame struck, just annealed at ~1040F

When I tried a plain AP implosion ages ago though, I did get that plain yellowy colour like you linked... The leftmost one here:

I might try kiln striking it again actually, see if it brings out more colour...

Old 2011-02-28, 8:25am

Well, I will try again today. This will definitely be a work in progress to find out what works. One small one I made got lots of color but there wasn't much of lens on it so it's junk. But it gives me hope.

Here is good thread on fuming for anyone else that is interested:

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ight=fume+gold