No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-12-06, 10:36am

Unhappy Concerned about ventilation-chest hurts

Not sure what to do...
Before putting in my vent system I did tons of research and got loads of advice on here-did the correct cfm's/height/etc and it seems that no matter how long I sit at the torch my chest gets tight and I end up w/ a dry cough for a couple of days.
When doing a smoke test the trail DOES go up but kinda snakes up-not going in a hard straight line...
DH mentioned possibly trying to do some baffles made of plexiglass-anyone done this before? Worried about my chest and convinced that someday I'll be told I have a lung condition from my "hobby" sigh...
I'm pregnant to boot so I do want to get this straightened out asap.
Thanks for any advice...
Amanda
Old 2007-12-06, 10:47am
da General

Baffles/enclosure will definitely help. What's your hood size and fan cfm? And how low is your hood hung?

Also - what kind of materials do you use? Glass with metallic contents? Silver/copper leaf/foil/wire? Enamels? Frit? All those really should be used with a P100 or N100 respirator, especially since you are pregnant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2007-12-06, 10:51am

My ventillation system is a range hood welded onto legs 24' long and the whole unit is bolted to my tabletop. My "baffles" are basically aluminum foil that I taped around 3 sides of the legs. The heat trails/fumes/etc can no longer go out the sides and are more easily pulled up into the fan unit venting outside. My magic aluminum foil baffles are held together by duct tape.

Gosh, hope I explained what I did well enough... I do find having the aluminum foil helps the incense smoke go up and out. Not sure you need the expense of plexiglass... hopefully others will know more. You can depend on the good advice you get on LE.

I don't know about your chest pain so others with more experience will chime in with advice, I hope.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-12-07, 9:21pm
Flamewoman

If it were me, I wouldn't take any chances while pregnant. Your baby has only 9 months inside you to grow and be healthy. You have the rest of your life to do lampwork. When I was pregnant, I was very careful. Better safe than sorry for life.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2007-12-13, 3:31am
Lampworker

range hoods are only like 200 cfm, some say you need between 1500-2500 cfm per torch.

a hood" with sides a back wall with the fan opening on the back wall to draw the air by you is very important, because if you dont have walls the air will be pulled from all sides of the fan opening and not directly past you.

i have worked in that situation and i had problems so i stoped imedediatly, i wanted a lynx in my garage to fuck round when not at my production studio...but learned i would much rather work in my studio across town than in my garage with poor ventilation anyday.
Old 2007-12-13, 9:00am
burnin' glass just becuz

until you get your ventilation situation sorted out, you may want to consider wearing a NIOSH rated respirator like one of these while you torch: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

my ventilation is not great due to my current living sitch so i wear mine every time i torch. makes a huge diff vs not wearing one. just remember to change the filters regularly.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2007-12-13, 10:01pm
i need help

check out my hood... I'm using an 800cfm

Old 2007-12-13, 11:45pm

I used a range hood but my husband replaced the fan and put in larger duct work the range hood fan is not even close to the right cfm for what we need.

Old 2007-12-13, 11:55pm

About wearing a respirator - don't take a chance. Check with a health professional before you do - especially since you already experience a tightness in your chest when you torch.
No respirator replaces adequate ventilation (unless maybe you're wearing an air supply respirator like a firefighter with a tank on his back).

Some suggested reading here:
http://www.trueart.info/pregnancy.htm

Joanne
Old 2007-12-14, 9:30am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Are you holding your breath when you torch?

Most people don't realise it but their normal rythmic breathing can change when they torch, especially if they do a lot of detail work. I have found that I hold my breath for long periods of time, giving me chest tightness and headaches. I've had to rework my whole routine to make sure I am concious of my breathing as much as the glass.

Old 2007-12-17, 6:41am

Also, sit up STRAIGHT (I have athsma--if I forget to breathe--like Amber said!, & don't sit "properly", it can mess up my breathing for a couple days--no matter what I'm doing--even if it's something silly, like playing computer games )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-12-17, 6:50pm
I like to melt things

maybe you have a makeup air issue.
Old 2007-12-25, 9:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Are you holding your breath when you torch?

Most people don't realise it but their normal rythmic breathing can change when they torch, especially if they do a lot of detail work. I have found that I hold my breath for long periods of time, giving me chest tightness and headaches. I've had to rework my whole routine to make sure I am concious of my breathing as much as the glass.
Great observation, i bet many of us hold our breath when at the torch, i am now going to be watching for this!!! i tend to lean in too much, therefore, all the precautions i am taking with the ventilation do not help as much!!

i tend to not ever sit straight to begin with,bad posture is me me me!!

thanks,
steph