Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2005-10-03, 1:10am
Goddess

Default Setting up a new torch

Ok, time to let my ignorance show

I am going to buy a Mini CC (of course my husband doesn't know this yet) but I would like to know exactly what else I will need to make it run. I know I need an oxy concentrator which puts out at least 5lpm. I will be using propane. I know there are regulators, hoses, and other du-dads involved, but this is where I have no clue. What things do I need to properly and safely hook my torch to my fuel and concentrator?

Anyone with a Mini CC out there, do you have the marver that is built for this torch? Do you like it? It is another $65.00 so I am curious how others like it before I add that to the list. I have one on my HH already, but I suppose that won't fit on this torch? Or?

I appreciate any advise here, I just want to get everything that I need all at once. I will probably be ordering from the US so I'd like to get it all in one order.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-10-03, 1:31am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Hi,

What you need is a connector wich fits on your gas bottle, the one with the regulator built in ( it has a little clock like thing sitting on top, I do not know what torch you are using right now, if you are already using a dual fuel torch, you already have the regulator thing, if not, just go to a welding store and take your torch with you, they will attach the hose and regulator.
FOr the concentrator you only need oxygen hose, the connectors come with a concentrator ( no regulators, you regulate the oxy flow on your concentrator)

If you like, I can send you some pictures of my setup so you know what I am talking about.
Ordering in the usa is not handy since the connector parts do not fit on european gasbottles ( this is what they told me).

If you like to get pictures, just pm me your email adress, and you can see what I am talking about

SUzanne

Old 2005-10-03, 8:04am
Gentleman of Leisure

The Carlisle Mini-CC comes with barbed connectors on torch, so hoses just push on to barbed connectors and are retained with a simple clamp. Hose type is usually "twin hose" that is same type used for gas welding, except you need hose that is rated "T" for propane use. Normally twin hose used for acetylene/oxygen welding is rated "R" or RM"... IF hose set you get has brass fittings (connectors) on both ends you simply cut off one end and push them on to barbed fittings on torch. Typically a oxygen concentrator has a "B" type threaded fitting on it (may have to remove plastic barbed fitting for patient oxygen hose) and the green hose should screw right on to concentrator fitting. For fuel (propane) a standard welding fuel regulator is used. It should come with a CGA510 connector ( US standard) for the tank connection which is the standard connector for propane or acetylene or "other" fuel gases. Try to get regulator with low pressure dial (left hand dial) reading from 0-30, its easier to set for low pressures than a dial reading 0-60. Outlet connector on regulator should be standard "B" type connector and red welding hose should connect up to it without any problem. BE aware that the threads on fuel regulator (tank connector and hose connector) are LEFT HAND thread (counter clockwise)... This is signified by the small groove machined on "flats" around where you apply a wrench...

Be sure propane tank is outside for safety reasons... You can separate twin hose back to a point where you can place propane outside and keep oxycon inside...

Dale M.

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-10-03 at 8:11am.
Old 2005-10-03, 8:48am
Goddess

Thanks you two,

Susan I will PM you.

I was wondering if the tread sizes and things would be different what trying to hook stuff from theUS up to things from Europe. I know when I got my HH I had to get a special part because of this problem. Dale thank you for the really in depth explanation. Since the Mini CC has those barbed ends for the hoses, I guess there shouldn't be a problem. At least now I know what to look for.

No to break this gently to my husband

Old 2005-10-03, 8:52am
Safety ALWAYS

Yes, the European connectors will be different. They use DIN standards as opposed to any of a variety of US standards.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-10-03, 1:14pm
Goddess

Thanks Mike,

I will get those here then, along with hoses.