Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-09-11, 5:01pm
trying to follow along

Default Concentrator vs. Tank

what are your thoughts? Pros Cons??
Have you used both? can the concentrators/generators be stored outside? how much space do they take up? How often do you have to buy compressed air? (at least from what I think I'm understanding is they need compressed air, they don't actualy pull air right?) where do you get air and how much are you spending on it?

sorry I'm so full of questions.... feel free to just post a link and move on or tell me I'm in over my head! LOL
Old 2005-09-11, 5:55pm

As far as I can remember from Paulette's site and various threads I've read a concentrator shouldn't be stored outside. Something about humidity not being good for it. No compressed air though, it just draws air. I love mine! After hauling that heavy tank to the welding shop for a replacement every week compared to flipping a switch, my back loves it too. I just got another one that needs a part or two and I'll have more heat. I'm so excited about that I'm thinking on trying some boro.
They might seem expensive initially, but my welding supply required me to buy a tank for 125.00 and every refill was about 25 bucks, not to mention the regulators you'll need to buy for it, not to mention the gas and time to go get refills....it adds up so a reconditioned oxygen concentrator is for me a bargain. I just talked to Margi on Friday and she's really nice, she took over the reconditioned units from Paulette and hmmmm, the link for her site is around here someplace, and I think there is a link from Suncoast Beads (Paulettes)site too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-11, 6:08pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked Baubble
what are your thoughts? Pros Cons??
Have you used both? can the concentrators/generators be stored outside? how much space do they take up? How often do you have to buy compressed air? (at least from what I think I'm understanding is they need compressed air, they don't actualy pull air right?) where do you get air and how much are you spending on it?

sorry I'm so full of questions.... feel free to just post a link and move on or tell me I'm in over my head! LOL
A concentrator should not be stored outside. Their real enemy is humidity. It kills them faster than anything else. Always keep concentrator indoors.

As for size the are typically 12x16x28 inches (DxWxH)....

A oxygen concentrator produces oxygen at the rate of 4-5 LPM (liters per minute) at a working pressure of 5-7psi (pounds per square inch).

Small oxygen concentrators contain their own compressors, and draw room air in and filter the nitrogen out of the air and produce oxygen somewhere near 97% pure.

Large, high volume (commercial application) oxygen generators "may" require a external air compressor depending on how unit is designed.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-09-11, 6:31pm
Professional Bead Pimp

The is one big Pro about tanked ox and that is your flame can be MUCH bigger than with the average concentrator. But, it sounds like you are just starting out, and if thats the case, then DEFINITELY go with a concentrator.

And in another thread you mentioned propane vs. natural gas. As a beginner, I'd also recommend propane because of the convenience of getting it.

Also, DON'T waste your money on a big fancy torch like a Lynx or such. With a concentrator, you won't have enough oxygen to fully utilize its capabilities.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-09-11, 6:55pm
trying to follow along

Thanks! They look *bigger* in the pics LOL I'm thinking it would take up a huge corner but it sounds like it would easily fit under my bench...

yep I'm just starting out. I'm looking at the MiniCC and Minor
Old 2005-09-11, 7:04pm
Cheeky & Impervious

When I started out, I bought a 125 cu. ft. oxy tank. Just ordered my first concentrator, which arrives next week. The oxy tank is very heavy for me, it's about 60 lbs. I can load it myself, when forced, usually let hubby do it. I am now at the point where I am having it filled every week to week and a half. I get a VERY good rate on refills, but still spending $1000 a year on oxy. I think the oxy con is much more economical in the long run. I am keeping my tank for when we have classes in the region and/or emergency.

~ Jules

Old 2005-09-11, 7:23pm
Professional Bead Pimp

My opinion is the Minor is better with a concentrator, and the Mini CC is better with an ox tank. Also, I feel the Minor will have a better resale value when you trade up later.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-09-12, 7:45am

I have both a Minor and Mini CC and Bill is correct. While the Mini will run with one concentrator I have a reduction problem with alot of my frits and recently my black glass in general! The minor runs much better on one concentrator. I have a 2nd concentrator on order which should be in this week and I can't wait to try out my torches with 2 hooked together!