Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-03-24, 8:39am
PyronamixK

Quote:
I certainly hope you aren't pointing fingers at Mike!!

During the short period he sold the GTT torches, they were never removed from the box, much less was the box opened, he says.

If there were no wires when Linda received them, then there were no wires in the box. Not our fault!
Actually, I was not even thinking of Mike when I posted that. But, now that you bring it up, AuraLens most certainly did open boxes and remove the torches. I know this first hand because I ordered my Lynx from AuraLens and it came with an AuraLens sticker on the base. Mike also offered to put Y-fittings and B-fittings on the torches. So, don't tell me that AuraLens never opened GTT torch boxes.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

At any rate, the instructions and cleaning wires were not missing from the torch I bought from AuraLens and Mike was also kind enough to loan me his instructional video when I was curious about it.
Old 2009-03-24, 9:38am

Quote:
Actually, I was not even thinking of Mike when I posted that. But, now that you bring it up, AuraLens most certainly did open boxes and remove the torches. I know this first hand because I ordered my Lynx from AuraLens and it came with an AuraLens sticker on the base. Mike also offered to put Y-fittings and B-fittings on the torches. So, don't tell me that AuraLens never opened GTT torch boxes.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

At any rate, the instructions and cleaning wires were not missing from the torch I bought from AuraLens and Mike was also kind enough to loan me his instructional video when I was curious about it.
You are correct, but Mike usually didn't remove the torches (he says) unless the hoses were wrapped too tightly around the torch body - but no sense bringing up ancient history LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

: LE2009
Old 2009-03-28, 9:34pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I can also confirm that Mike put a hideous sticker on the Lynx before he shipped them out. It took me a half bottle of goo gone to get rid of that thing. :/

And, yep, Donna...it seems strange, doesn't it?

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2009-03-28, 11:07pm
I'm a lilac!

I like all the "he says"

it makes me LOL.

Old 2009-03-29, 12:33pm

Quote:
I believe that even though it is said that a Bobcat can run on one Oxycon...i don't believe (from experience) it actually can. That would also explain why they have brought out the cricket.

I have a close friend that has a Lynx....she doesn't have the problems i have with the bobcat
I have had a Bobcat for several years and have never had a problem with it. I lost my little cleaning wires a couple of years ago (I think they got mixed in with some stringers that I tossed), and still - no problems.

For the first year I had it, I did indeed run it on one oxycon. It is now on two, and while it does run a hotter flame on two, it still worked fine on one.

Old 2009-03-29, 12:46pm

Quote:
I can also confirm that Mike put a hideous sticker on the Lynx before he shipped them out. It took me a half bottle of goo gone to get rid of that thing. :/

Yep, mine still has that big-ass sticker on it. No way they can say (honestly) that the torches were never removed from the box, unless they're saying that GTT put the stickers on for him.

My torch *did* come with the cleaning wires and instructions. I lost the wires on my own.

Old 2009-03-29, 4:13pm

Quote:
You are correct, but Mike usually didn't remove the torches (he says) unless the hoses were wrapped too tightly around the torch body - but no sense bringing up ancient history LOL.

Thank goodness for Mike. Wally and the boys ought to bring him over for an in-service on proper torch hose wrapping. Imagine not knowing how to handle torch's.(he says) 'Dis sho is a crazy world.
Old 2009-03-29, 4:40pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
I certainly hope you aren't pointing fingers at Mike!!

During the short period he sold the GTT torches, they were never removed from the box, much less was the box opened, he says.

If there were no wires when Linda received them, then there were no wires in the box. Not our fault!

Quote:

Quote:

THAT'S FUNNY! Didn't remove them unless they were wrapped too tightly?!
Poor GTT ... they don't know how to pack their own torches

But of course the boxes were only opened to repack....not to put on some god awful sticker!

Quote:

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that!

Donna - I love this comment! And I completely agree!!

"Makes you appear to be guilty of that which you deny.
I have stood back and watched you (Ed) post here and while you swear you are not Mike, you seem to be reading threads together and when something hits a nerve with Mike (from the past), you jump in to defend him. Curious of not a bit bizarre and IMHO, definitely not a good business practice."

Definitely bizarre....especially since Ed keeps saying he is NOT Mike

Old 2009-03-30, 8:36am

Quote:

*splurf*
Having received several torches directly from GTT over the years, I can say that I believe one would have to OPEN the box and PRY the torch out of the molded packing material before one could make any claims about how the hoses were wrapped. Apparently bringing up ancient history is only allowed when it benefits your cause.

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-04-07, 6:43am

Default And Now For Something Completly Different...

Monica,
I'm on pins-and-needles after reading your highjacked thread (I can't imagine a more Fracking hilarious highjack) wondering if the Bobcat issues were resolved.

I hope you haven't run shreaking into the woods.

I love my Mirage but I will not participate in any cone envy.
Old 2009-04-07, 2:37pm
I speak Murrini!

I'm popping in - finally - after lurking her quite a while. I have a new Cricket - got it direct from GTT, and they did a beautiful job on my custom Hot Pink color and my "elbows" mod to the hose connections. I must say, though, I was surprised to find no instructions or cleaning wires there...I will write them and ask them to be forwarded to me. I think I read back a few pages ago there was an instructional vid too...I'll inquire about that also. After coming off 2 years on a Hot Head, I definitely need guidance on how to achieve proper flames - neutral, striking and reduction. I saw on another thread that when using an Oxycon a few folks had carbon building up quite quickly on the face of the torch, and this would really be a annoyance to me.

I've not sparked it up yet (yes, I know - 5 mos. waiting and I'm about to loose my mind!) but I hope to have the studio reassembled after a HUGE amount of construction and updating to my 100 yr. old house, so I definitely have to at least run it for a few minutes to make sure it's totally in order. How dumb would I feel if I lit it and there was a problem? (Don't answer that...!)

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-04-07, 3:33pm

I am not sure how useful the video will be on the Cricket. It is more about how to use the triple mix feature on the Lynx and larger torches. You will love the Cricket though.

The $50 cleaning fee is probably a rude shock to people expecting free cleanings, but I have been reading about Carlilse CC costs when they go into the shop and they seem to all cost $500. Probably people abuse them more than GTTs, but it is still a lot of money.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-04-07, 4:27pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Paul for the advice on the vid; I will definitely pursue getting the instructions info and the cleaning wires, though.

And I suppose the $50 vs. $500 for cleaning puts it in a different perspective at least.

De

Old 2009-04-07, 4:44pm
PyronamixK

*Original post removed by author*

I'm sorry, but I am no longer providing free customer service for GTT, nor am I doing any more favors for them or defending them or their reputation.

Wally will not acknowledge that I have been of any help. Oddly, he says that I should be providing customer service for free and without any compensation or thanks because I am Willy's wife. Of course, neither of the two girlfriends he has had that worked for GTT have ever worked for free. Oh, he made a rule about no GFs or wives working at GTT in order to keep me out of the company. His rules did not apply to anyone he bedded down.

Please direct your questions to:

570-835-9777

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-05-27 at 3:04pm.
Old 2009-04-07, 7:03pm

The video has more then just how to work GTT triple mix torches. It also has four great demos ( tuts ) well worth the twenty bucks.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2009-04-07, 7:06pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I had TWO sets of instructions and cleaning wires

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-04-08, 11:38am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
I had TWO sets of instructions and cleaning wires
Hey, did one set have my name on it? (Giggle!) I think I'll write today and get me one...

De

Old 2009-05-03, 8:05pm
Glass junkie

I wish I could afford 2 torches ....I would definitely get a GTT with inner fire option *sigh

Last edited by Fyrewerx; 2009-05-03 at 8:06pm. Reason: better
Old 2009-05-04, 3:40pm

Question Hosing?

Does everyone use t grade hosing? Propane breaks down r grade hosing and spits stuff into your torch. R grade is the most common hosing and is designed for acetylene.
Old 2009-05-05, 9:16am
PyronamixK

*Original post removed by author*

I'm sorry, but I am no longer providing free customer service for GTT, nor am I doing any more favors for them or defending them or their reputation.

Wally will not acknowledge that I have been of any help. Oddly, he says that I should be providing customer service for free and without any compensation or thanks because I am Willy's wife. Of course, neither of the two girlfriends he has had that worked for GTT have ever worked for free. Oh, he made a rule about no GFs or wives working at GTT in order to keep me out of the company. His rules did not apply to anyone he bedded down.

Please direct your questions to:

570-835-9777

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-05-27 at 3:04pm.
Old 2009-05-05, 9:48am

When I was in Australia, I asked a couple people and it didn't seem like they used the same grading (R and T) as we do in the US. They just used whatever was avaiable in the welding stores.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-05-05, 10:27am

I haven't read through all of the posts yet but wanted to add my experiences with GTT. I purchased a Lynx in 1998 when GTT started selling them...actually, they'd been out a few months already but the wait list to get one was months and months long. This did come with instructions and a wire to clean it. I clean it fairly regularly and until 2007, I ran it no less than 5 days a week, sometimes 7 days a week and sometimes did multiple torch sessions to fill the kiln more than once in a day. I'm estimating that I have used the torch thousands of times with no issues whatsoever. I should probably send it in to be cleaned but quite honestly, it shows no signs of needing additional cleaning yet.

In 2001 DH bought a Bobcat which DID NOT come with cleaning instructions or a cleaning wire (he went to the local welding supply and bought one for a couple of bucks). His torch was used daily (5-7 days a week) from 2001-2007 and although it needs to be cleaned more frequently than the Lynx, it has never needed to be sent in. The center port seems to get a bit of scum, which is easily cleaned away...but he works in a soft bushy flame frequently so he is aware that the manner in which he works is going to cause more soot than if he were to run it properly. I find the flame on his Bobcat to be as clean as the flame on my Lynx.

We have been fortunate to have gotten excellent torches that don't seem to have any issues whatsoever, so we cannot comment on the customer service Willy and Wally provide since we've never needed to send a torch back. At this point in time, with the number of hours we've used both of our torches, I would be more than happy to pay $50/torch to have them cleaned.

I agree with one of Kim's earlier posts that comments about how one runs their torch -- not all torches are created equal and that 99% of problems are from running it improperly. Those weren't her words but that was the general jist of it.

I have to get some work done but will come back and read the other responses later. I just wanted to share my experiences over the past decade with GTT!

Old 2009-05-05, 11:04am
AKA: Noodlesaurus

Hey gang! i posted earlier in a different post, but I bought the torch that Monique sold in the Garage sale, the Bobcat. After it arrived I simply hooked it up and fired it up. I had no problems with it and I ran it off that 1st light for about an hour. No carbon build up and no other issues. I had arranged to send it the the GTT guys and called them to say that I didn't think it needed cleaned.And they said if I was not having any issues with it not to send it in. I was happy and always will be to haver GTT clean any torch if it needs and I will pay since I am using their time and materials. I have a 6 torch teaching studio(2 Bobcats, 3 Crickets and a Lynx). So I am familiar with the torches.
I did keep it hooked up and have not run any wires to clean it yet. Seems to be fine and work well.
Just wanted to chime in since I bought this "problem" torch and have not been able to get it to give me a problem, I think GTT is the best and will continue to buy their torches. I am saving now for a Cheetha. And if any one else out there wants to sell me their GTT torch for $50 let me know!!
THANKS!

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2009-05-07, 2:18pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
When I was in Australia, I asked a couple people and it didn't seem like they used the same grading (R and T) as we do in the US. They just used whatever was avaiable in the welding stores.
There are 2 sets of hoses in Oz, orange and blue is for propane, red and green is for acetylene (and yes, we didn't use T or R to marked the hoses)

That was why when I bought secondhand minor with T grade hoses from someone in Garage sale here, I got so confused.

Old 2009-05-07, 4:38pm

I just want to say this thread has the BEST info in it--thanks soooo much Kimberly & everyone else who has posted helpful teaching info!
. I'm putting the T grade hoses on my Cricket when I set it up @ home (I actually have a set!) & I've been able to practice "which flame" to run on it when I've been @ the studio to keep it from carboning....I'm SOOO thankful for all the information on cleaning & proper treatment & how to basically "make it last forever"
Of course if I do "mess it up" (ha, if it's possible, I'll do it
) I won't mind paying to get it fixed--I love my tools--even when I have to repair/replace 'em due to "user error"--but knowing *how* to make the most of them is SO APPRECIATED!!!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-05-09, 5:45am

i think that the "meteorites' are from crappy propane. i run three gtt's and the only time i get a streaky flame is from when i get propane from a place that doesn't sell enough.

i bought a lynx in 1998( in fact, i was told it was the third one sold) it is slightly smaller than the new lynx's and the color of the back is brass not purple. this torch has NEVER been sent back to gtt for cleaning, i just brush it daily( when it is cold, never after it has run) and use the wires about 2 times a year.

i think the oxy con-vs-tanked o2 factor is overlooked. from what i understand, oxy cons and generators don't produce a super clean o2. the dirtier the fuel you burn the more carbon you get.......

just my opinion after using gtt's for 11 years, 7 hours a day, 6 days a week.

and major amonts of liquid o2 along the way.
Old 2009-05-09, 6:29am

I think you are right in some ways and wrong in others. I have been using a generator for three or four years now and never have a problem with "meteorites" or what I call reduction crud, because that is what is causing it, not enough oxy in the flame. It's very easy to run a reductive flame on tanked oxy or generators or concentrators. The problem with a concentrator or generator is that you have no way to evaluate the quality of oxygen you are getting from the machine and so people very naturally blame the torch, assuming that the quality of oxy they are getting from their machine is sufficient. That is probably not the case if they are getting crud built up on the face of their torch.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-05-18, 1:16pm
marbeads

Exclamation GTT

I just found this thread,
I own a Lynx, Bobcat and 6 Crickets.
In my experience there are no better torches for working glass. The design was revolutionary and the folks at the company are some of the nicest people I know. I have spoken to them many times on the phone and they are always very helpful.
I just sent my Lynx in because I clogged a port trying to clean it out, my bad, but other than that, I have been using GTT torches for 7 years and they give the best flame control on the market. Give them good fuel and O2, they are maintenance free.
I am going to use Hydrogen for fuel this summer with the Lynx, wanna talk about a carbon free flame

HITK,
Kurt
Old 2009-05-18, 11:28pm

FWIW, I sent my Phantom in for cleaning. I got a call today that it's ready, and there were no problems. $100. I commented that I thought it would be $50 primarily because of this thread, but was told that because it's a bigger torch, it's more money. I can't say I was terribly pleased because I was expecting it to cost $50, but what are you going to do? It really needed cleaning. It's a great torch, and I want to keep it that way. I paid the money. When I thought about it, though, it did make sense.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-05-20, 8:52am
yukue fumei

Quote:
I just found this thread,
I own a Lynx, Bobcat and 6 Crickets.
In my experience there are no better torches for working glass. The design was revolutionary and the folks at the company are some of the nicest people I know. I have spoken to them many times on the phone and they are always very helpful.
I just sent my Lynx in because I clogged a port trying to clean it out, my bad, but other than that, I have been using GTT torches for 7 years and they give the best flame control on the market. Give them good fuel and O2, they are maintenance free.
I am going to use Hydrogen for fuel this summer with the Lynx, wanna talk about a carbon free flame

HITK,
Kurt
Hydrogen? Please--details when you have them--WOW!

nagi