AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-02-04, 9:50am

Which diamond shears would you recommend? Mine are a bit bulky and have a "V" kind of cutting profile. Are there shears that are rounded, curved that would be easier to use? I find it so hard not to touch the bead and distort the bead. Maybe I need to make the jack line longer?
Old 2017-06-22, 10:24am

Hi Again, I'm still trying to get the hang of these darn Blow Beads. I'm obsessed. I've finally gotten the whole process down until it comes to knocking off the pipe. I won't knock off. Am I not chilling it with the diamond shears enough? I have watched Davide's video probably 100 times and try to mimic what he does but I can't figure it out. to Davide: I am going to take a class from you!!!!!
Old 2017-06-23, 10:43am

I even dipped my diamond shears in water to cool, then necked it again....nothing. Still stuck.
I'm going to try again today for a couple of hours with some of my scummy clear junky glass.
I make hollow beads by the dozens using Astrid's method mixed with my own with out a problem but I really want to learn the Italian technique.
Old 2017-06-24, 6:35am
Student!

I've been working on this as well. I have resorted to knocking the blow pipe on top of the shears (after blowing and using the shears on the neck of the bead) and the bead drops onto my table. If it's got a thick enough wall, it doesn't crack. I'm sure this is not the best way, but for now......��

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2017-06-24, 6:42am
Student!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganE View Post
I worked in a hot shop last year for about 6 mos, as I wanted to learn how to make really big, curved beads. Didn't happen, but I learned a few things.
Returning to my torch, and 104, I learned to make pipe blown beads. My biggest problem is with debris on the pipe getting on the bead hole. Unlike furnace pipes, stainless blow pipes seem to need to be glass free from one bead to the next.
Some of my experiments:
Attachment 161965

This is a good little video that answered a number of questions for me.

https://youtu.be/SgaN1q4enk0
This video is excellent. My only question is what tool was used to put the hole in the other end of the bead? I've been trying to blow the hole out as Davide Penso does, with no success.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2017-06-26, 2:01pm

That's how I make a hole. Use a tungsten pick, heat it until red hot, keep the bead cooler (not soft), then plunge the pick into the bead and pull out quickly. fire polish the hole.
For me, when I try to heat and blow the hole (like Davide Penso) it ends up huge.
Old 2017-12-12, 10:35am

I just took a 5-day workshop from Aja Vaz. It was excellently!!!
She taught both puffy mandrel and blowing at the end of a blowpipe. The techniques are very different.
Even with 3 days of practice and multiple excellent demos, it was still super difficult to do the blowpipe beads. There are just SO many techniques that are very different from regular bead making.
It's going to take lots of practice to get it right. But I'm gonna keep at it.
And I want some small Carlo Dona diamond shears! I didn't have any, so I borrowed a few different sizes and types of shears - the good ones really do make a huge difference!

Anyway, Aja is a great teacher and a gifted glass artist. Hollow beads on a blowpipe take a lot of skill!
Old 2018-04-08, 10:53am

I got to take a three hour private class from Davide last year. He is not at all intimidating. Very pleasant and glad I had glass experience. Even as a glass master, he said he spent six or seven months of eight hour days to master this. Us mortals better expect much longer.!
Old 2018-08-16, 10:55am
Pincel de Fuego

I took a class from Davide in December 2016 ... I also didn't find him intimidating at all but I can see how someone would think that, I think it's just a cultural thing. He did prepare me though to be fair - he softly told me "I'm going to scream at you when you are melting, don't be scared" and then when he did I was like OK! LOL

But yeah for other reasons I've been away from the torch for a year so I'm having trouble getting back into the swing of things.
As others mentioned my biggest trouble was "feeling" the bubble, even with Davide he was always yelling "sufla" at me because I never knew when I was supposed to. And then it got cold and I had to reheat. Over and over.
And my favorite part was blowing out the little hole... now as others mentioned I had the problem of it being too large, or also it closing back up. After learning about "a perfect dimpled bead" and being kind of psycho about bead holes this technique is quite paradigm-shifting, to say the least.
Thanks for the links everyone! I'm off to check them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
Old 2018-10-08, 6:45pm

I'm so excited. I'm actually getting to take a class this weekend from Davide Penso. I've been wanting to for so long.