Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-05-02, 2:59pm
Meow.

Dale, my point was that they raised the price to include the extra $100 for the base originally...then some time later made the base a separate purchase -- for which I was thankful. That's all. Kind of like how I sell my pendants. Not everyone needs a chain...I know I use the same one (my mother's) for all of my pendants...so I sell the chain separately...because why should someone pay for a chain if they don't need it? And look at how many folks who play with glass 'collect' torches. I mean, they could have kept it the other way, with the torches including the bases at $100 more. Their original price increase has not changed - the customer simply has an option now.

Go on. Click it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2007-05-02, 3:46pm

It would be nice to have a choice of bases. I have my torches clamped to my benches so I don't need or want the heavy bases that came with my torches. My Barracuda came with a base, but me being me, if I would have had the choice of making my own and saving $100 I would have made my own. (I do CAD for a living and I have access to a full machine shop)

I wish I owned the Bethlehem Burner division. I think they have a pretty decent torches. I think with a bit of tweeking and minor engineering changes they could have very good torches.

Even if I wanted to design and manufacture my own line of torches the liability insurance would kill me.

Live Long, Live Crafty!
~R
Old 2007-05-02, 8:41pm
ManBearPig

I do sort of see the argument for selling them without the base. But, I think it would be much more widely accepted if they 1) hadn't kept the price the same and made the base cost extra, or 2) advertised the torch at a certain price, and made it available without the base at a lower price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

•
•
•
Old 2007-05-04, 6:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I do sort of see the argument for selling them without the base. But, I think it would be much more widely accepted if they 1) hadn't kept the price the same and made the base cost extra, or 2) advertised the torch at a certain price, and made it available without the base at a lower price.
Part 2--that's what I was suggesting--or trying to--in *my* post--that "mix & match" was not the same as "pay extra for a base". Torches should come WITH a base unless there is more than one option for a base! I can see giving an *option* (in print, somewhere, saying "if you're a collector, shop, frequent buyer & don't need a base with your purchase, please deduct $xx & check here for your torch WITHOUT a base) for those few folks who don't need a base, but I'd imagine the general market is heavier on "need a base" than on "don't".

As far as "common sense"--well, think about the silly things we've seen here on the boards--and I'm not just talking about folks torching in closed basements with no ventilation & all the doors & windows closed--we've had "can I use pancake batter for bead release?" "can I use PASTA NOODLES for mandrels?" & "can I torch without *any* safety glasses at all just a couple times?" & some other things that people have been completely *serious* when they dreamed them up .

~luna
queen of safetyglasses (not didys--i'm outside with a hothead in the sunshine! )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-05-04, 8:15pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post

As far as "common sense"--well, think about the silly things we've seen here on the boards--and I'm not just talking about folks torching in closed basements with no ventilation & all the doors & windows closed--we've had "can I use pancake batter for bead release?" "can I use PASTA NOODLES for mandrels?" & "can I torch without *any* safety glasses at all just a couple times?" & some other things that people have been completely *serious* when they dreamed them up .

~luna
queen of safetyglasses (not didys--i'm outside with a hothead in the sunshine! )
And just how quick are people to debunk these silly notions...... With "common sense".

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal