Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-10-21, 5:38pm
Lampwork Meditator

Default What all do I need?

I have an oxycon and propane...lots of flameworking tools from my hothead...now I want a big girl torch. Thinking about the nortel minor. What exactly do I need? Hoses? Regulators? Didymium glasses? Not looking into getting into boro anytime soon. Sticking with soft glass.

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carlisle mini cc with concentrator
Old 2007-10-21, 6:39pm
Button Queen

Hoses - T-grade for Propane - make SURE they're not the acetylene hoses
Propane Regulator
Didymium glasses
Ventilation

With an oxycon you will NOT need an oxygen regulator
There is some debate about if you need flashback arrestor for the propane. I say better safe than sorry, so I have one. But with a surface mix torch, it's probably overkill.
Old 2007-10-21, 6:44pm
Hot Rod Addiction

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't get the Nortel Minor -- I'd get a Carlisle Mini CC. The flame is a bit bushier which makes it easier to see where stringer goes and helps to keep the piece you're working on warm/hot without being molten. Plus it has joints so that you can adjust the direction of the flame up down, right, left, etc. And I think the cost is about the same.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with my Minor, I just think the Mini CC offers a bit more.
Old 2007-10-21, 8:49pm

There is also the bobcat to consider - a bit more expensive but people seem to do well with it.

I recently upgraded from my minor which did a great job for 4 years - I learnt to do pretty much anything with it. In the end I just grew out of it and wanted bigger beads and vessels - the oxycon was a limiting factor too.

Sadie

Old 2007-10-22, 5:21pm
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGirlGoneBad View Post
If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't get the Nortel Minor -- I'd get a Carlisle Mini CC. The flame is a bit bushier which makes it easier to see where stringer goes and helps to keep the piece you're working on warm/hot without being molten. Plus it has joints so that you can adjust the direction of the flame up down, right, left, etc. And I think the cost is about the same.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with my Minor, I just think the Mini CC offers a bit more.
Maybe the grass is always greener If I had it to do over, I'd go with the Bobcat or the Minor rather than the MiniCC -- particularly with a 5LPM oxycon. I found with just 5LPM that the Mini was constantly in a reduction flame which made it tough to work raku or silver glasses. With 10LPM the MiniCC is much better but I still wish that I'd taken a much closer look at the Bobcat.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-10-23, 7:47am
Gentleman of Leisure

I was wondering who manufacturers and sells the "Big Girl Torch" brand....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-10-23, 11:21am
Lampwork Meditator

<<<I was wondering who manufacturers and sells the "Big Girl Torch" brand....

Dale>>>

Maybe I will! lol

Now I am more confused again! Was ready to get the Nortel Minor...then the Carlisle Mini...now I don't know what to do!!!

Guess I need to do even more research.

Old 2007-10-23, 12:38pm
Missing presumed fed

They're all nice torches -- the Minor, the MiniCC, and the Bobcat. The MiniCC and the Bobcat will get hotter than the Minor if you add extra oxygen. From my fairly limited experience with the MiniCC, I think it's a little bit reducing, too, but it's not a humongous problem. One thing I have heard MiniCC users talk about is that with one concentrator, the knobs tend to get kind of hot. Whether they get hot enough to make the torch uncomfortable to use, I don't know. I think they're probably not too hot to be a problem for most people.

There are lots of people happily using each of the three torches. You should be pleased whichever you choose.
Old 2007-10-23, 5:48pm
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
One thing I have heard MiniCC users talk about is that with one concentrator, the knobs tend to get kind of hot. Whether they get hot enough to make the torch uncomfortable to use, I don't know. I think they're probably not too hot to be a problem for most people.

There are lots of people happily using each of the three torches. You should be pleased whichever you choose.
Yes, the knobs get hot -- most of the time it's not too bad. It doesn't happen all the time and it happens with the 10LPM oxycon too. And a couple of times, it did get so hot that I had to use the kelvar sleeve that I keep close by to turn it off.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-11-10, 8:13pm
Lampwork Meditator

OK, got my Carlisle Mini CC ordered...sitting on the curb waiting for it to be delivered! lol I'm getting hoses...skipping the flashback arrestor for now. But propane regulator. I do have one, but found it wouldn't work with my hothead. Will it work with the Carlisle?

I also need didymium glasses!

Old 2007-11-11, 1:09pm
ManBearPig

Why wouldn't it work with your hot head?

This is the type we sell and they work well:
http://www.soleiletlune.com/webstore...cat=276&page=1

Glasses we have as well. There are many different types of frames out there, so if you want, e-mail or give me a call and we can find some that work for you...

Old 2007-11-11, 8:10pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A HH needs a regulator that will operate in the 60-70 psi range. A regulated approach to "tank pressure" which HH requires...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-11-11 at 8:15pm.
Old 2007-11-12, 7:25am
Lampwork Meditator

I ordered my regulator off ebay. And the screw ends wouldn't screw on to anything. I'll take a picture soon and post.

Old 2007-11-13, 10:04am
I poop flowers.

I thought you didn`t need a regulator with a HH? I`m about to switch to using a bulk tank with mine, and thought I had read you don`t need a regulator? Is this just a personal preference with a bulk tank or a necessity?

Velvet

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ---Charles Dickens
Old 2007-11-13, 1:29pm
Lampwork Meditator

You don't need one with a hot head. I got one because I was reading it might help with some fluctuations I was having with my bulk tank. I thought I would try something else! But my connections never worked with my hoses.