Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-10-23, 8:11am

Loco, tell your husband thanks for me please.
I took him over to a friends, He was indeed well behaved. Today he is at work.

Aurore-Skiis, now there's a thought oooh, winter in mexico, I'm jealous.
Old 2008-10-23, 6:03pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
I finally got over being sick long enough to torch for a few hours. I have to say the tutorial is FANTASTIC! It really has techniques that can be used to make so many things. My first two dragons came out of the kiln this morning and I am totally stoked! They look like I actually had a clue (which we all know I really don't). I will get pictures tonight and post them.
Thank you Loco! You have opened new doors for me.
Ummhumm Pictures! Please...
Old 2008-10-23, 7:34pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Ummhumm Pictures! Please...
Here they are...

Attachment 70642

Attachment 70643

Attachment 70644

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jeepinwelch; 2015-11-17 at 11:12am.
Old 2008-10-23, 8:23pm
The Crazy One

Woooooooo Hoooooo GREAT looking dragons!
Old 2008-10-23, 8:56pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

Cool Dragons!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-10-24, 6:05am

Hi!
Loco, I absolutely adore your dragons and I would love to buy your tut. I am on a HH though, and have no kiln at home. Is it possible to make your dragons under these poor conditions?
Love Lone, Maarslet, Denmark

R#115
Old 2008-10-24, 7:18am
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerp View Post
Hi!
Loco, I absolutely adore your dragons and I would love to buy your tut. I am on a HH though, and have no kiln at home. Is it possible to make your dragons under these poor conditions?
Love Lone, Maarslet, Denmark
Thank you so much! I have never worked on a HH, but I have seen some amazing sculptural work done on them (think Nikki!). As for not having a kiln... I know that ever thing I tried to do before I had a kiln, other than small beads, cracked... So I really don't think so. I'm sorry.

Is there anyone here that has had any luck sculpting without a kiln?
Old 2008-10-24, 9:06am

ooooh, those are great!
Old 2008-10-24, 9:24am
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedhatted View Post
ooooh, those are great!
I like yours better! You were able to keep the parts a lot more defined and crisp.

Old 2008-10-24, 12:34pm
just another tool fool...

Quote:
Thank you so much! I have never worked on a HH, but I have seen some amazing sculptural work done on them (think Nikki!). As for not having a kiln... I know that ever thing I tried to do before I had a kiln, other than small beads, cracked... So I really don't think so. I'm sorry.

Hey loco!

Kay did sculptural stuff that she "garaged" in a crock pot of vermiculite set on high to cool the beads. It was batch annealed at some point later. Her stuff was nowhere near as big as yours, but we rarely had any breakage. I think the key was flame annealing the pieces for some time, instead of pulling them out of the hottest part of the flame, looking for a couple of seconds, then sticking them in the crock pot. Also, our kiln ramp time was long and so was the soak time, so that may have had something to do with it. Your dragons are pretty huge, though, so I'm not sure how this would work here...maybe if someone made really small beads they could pull it off...

Great tut, by the way!! I haven't given it a shot yet, but hope to this weekend!

Click banner for my Etsy:

Old 2008-10-24, 2:50pm

OMG You guys ROCK!!!
Wow. I hope my first time is as successful

Old 2008-10-24, 3:25pm

Quote:

Thanks for the shout-out. I batch annealed (ok, the Booger Bead Boot Camp batch annealed) until about 3 years ago when I got a kiln. As long as I did a thorough (but not surface melting) heating when I was done with teh bead before I tucked it into the fiber blanket, they survived. (Whoa... Hot Head AND batch annealed? I am so going to lampworker's hell!)

I had fish, sheep, cows, etc, all survive as long as I kept insurance heat while melting and a good reheat after I finished applying any details. I think the largest surviving sculptural bead was about an inch and a half tall - a cow body.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-10-24, 3:50pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

here's my first dragon. The second one is camera shy!

sorry for the bad pic, I took it with my celphone.
And I do have to say, this is one fun tut. great pics and wonderful instructions

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-10-24, 4:04pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I like your dragons JeepinWelch - especially the first one!

Bruno - I like your dragon also! Very neat color combo!

Old 2008-10-24, 5:09pm
The Crazy One

Bruna, Your dragon is WONDERFUL! I am thrilled that it appears the instructions are getting such great results. I tried my best to show EVERY step and then some. I'm sure its just that you all are a bunch of amazing artists! Keep the pictures coming, I love seeing all these babies!
Old 2008-10-24, 7:31pm

Awwwww I love all your dragons!!!! Loco this is a great tutoral and love your sense of humor (or is it the voices..hmmmm LOL) !! I have printed it out and have read thru it a few hundred times and cant wait till I have time to torch all weekend to play and make some dragons.

Robyn
Old 2008-10-25, 1:11pm
Sucks at being nice

Bruna that is so cute! I love the ears!

Old 2008-10-25, 11:23pm

Great Tutorial ! Thank you !

Old 2008-10-26, 1:42am
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

Finally clear pics.
This is Petit, the little blue dragon.

followed by the red christmas dragon... holding a green ornament

now this one is scary. Before going into the kiln, it was a pretty dragonette. But, uhm... it got changed into a transvestite dragon with a nostril reduction and lip enhancement my sister named him... Denis

And last, this is "what's his name" ... I got the idea from a cartoon, where the dragon likes to make poems about an upside down cake. This one broke a toe, so he's in an italian boot bath, getting his feet cemented in polyresin so he'll stand on a pedestal at my mom's and never break a toe again.

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-10-26, 9:28am

I love all of these Dragons...
Loco this is a great tutorial, so much fun to do!
This is my first dragon, I don’t have glass scissors so he needs a manicure and a pedicure, but all and all I think he is a gorgeous baby dragon.

Old 2008-10-26, 11:31am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Uh oh, I am glad I bought the tut. Now it's the waiting part that's hard to do....
Katja
I am really glad that you guys can make a dragon so quickly.
Old 2008-10-27, 12:45pm

Okay, here are my first 3 attempts at the dragon heads - no bodies yet - the voices told me not to! They are all boro:

My first try

My second try

Jenny

Old 2008-10-27, 4:50pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

wow, those heads re amazing! the colors!!!

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-10-28, 7:02am

Thank you Bruna! I love boro!
Loco - your tutorial is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jenny

Old 2008-10-28, 10:06am
Gay rights R human rights

Its sold out!!!! WAH!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-10-28, 11:34am
The Crazy One

Bruna, Diggin the dragons! Your transvestite dragon looks like it should be holding “something.” Bwhahahaha!!!!

Maggie, Great Job! I love the green you used, what color is it? Also PM me your addie and I’ll send you my small pair of scissors, I don’t use them often.

Jenny, Beautiful colors on beautiful dragons!

I am so thrilled that you all are doing a wonderful job with these dragons! Keep um coming, the world needs more dragons and gawd knows more smiles!
Old 2008-10-28, 9:24pm

Thank you Loco!

The color I used is Moretti Mosaic Green.

Unfortunately my dragon decided that this world was to much for him....he leapt off the shelf he was sitting on and shattered on the granite counter top below; it was a gruesome sight indeed!

I'm sure there will be more dragons in my future they are soooo much fun to make, and with your generous offer of the scissors they will have proper toes and fingers!

I will PM you with my addy.

Old 2008-10-29, 11:17am
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

ah!! poor baby!!!

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-10-29, 7:37pm

Oh no Maggie, that's horrible!
Old 2008-10-30, 2:45pm

I think all the dragons are wonderful!
Thanks to loco for the wonderful tutorial, the humor and most of all for saying it's ok to play!
This is my first guy and he has loads of problems but he was fun to make. The next one will be better.. I hope. LOL!
I thought it was real funny that his tail looks like alien eyes peering over his shoulder!

My son wanted to know if he had two butts!