Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-03-25, 12:30pm
namaste

Rose and Dawn....Did your pictures get better?

Antonio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-10, 10:17am

Bought it just now - I think I need to shake things up a bit.
Someone commented on about how painstakingly tiny my beads are. That set had actually quite chunky spheres (20 mm), but obviously my photos didn't bring that across.

Old 2009-04-12, 3:48pm
Lover of Life

I finally ordered mine, after eyeballing it for awhile. Some of my Etsy photos have been complimented, but those that are quite good are just moments of good luck with my auto settings. I use props and backgrounds that are black, white, and in betweens. Is there info in the tut about shooting with various backgrounds? I find my "on black" photos need definition. The subject just sort of melts into the background. I see you use a variety of backgrounds, so I'm excited to see what I can learn!

Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2009-04-13, 12:54am
namaste

Kevan used three different backgrounds in the tut--Black, White, and Graduated. She shows you how to make a graduated background using Photoshop. I think you will find her methods will take the "hit or miss" out of your photography and make it possible for you to take good pictures almost every time.

I'm sorry she couldn't answer you directly. She is still on moderated status here and not allowed to post unless her post is first screened. This makes for a delay in answering these types of questions and she didn't want you to wait.

In the future, you can PM her with a question she can respond in a more timely manner.

Take care,

Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexrox View Post
I finally ordered mine, after eyeballing it for awhile. Some of my Etsy photos have been complimented, but those that are quite good are just moments of good luck with my auto settings. I use props and backgrounds that are black, white, and in betweens. Is there info in the tut about shooting with various backgrounds? I find my "on black" photos need definition. The subject just sort of melts into the background. I see you use a variety of backgrounds, so I'm excited to see what I can learn!

Becky

Old 2009-05-28, 1:16am

Questions above regarding IF this tutorial can be used with OTHER graphics programs OTHER than Photoshop???

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! According to my experiments (quick and dirty as hubby likes to say).

So far I've applied the lessons a.k.a. "corpse hand technique" using Coral Paint Shop Pro -- it was real easy -- I made two layers and then used the eraser tool on one layer and then merged -- more or less straight from the tutorial.

Next I opened Serif PhotoShop Plus X2 and did another "corpse hand technique" -- two layers, and erase the bead in the hand and then merge the two layers -- just as detailed in the tutorial -- but with slightly different look and feel to the engine under the hood.

I'm going to do the same tutorial steps in two other graphics programs living on my elderly computer. Then I have one or two FREE programs -- which I'll bet will also yield very usable results.

In today's economy sometimes we have to make a decision about spending money on GLASS or on software. Sometimes a FORD will do the job of a BMW.

The principles are the same in many of the more affordable graphics programs -- the two mentioned above can be found through legitimate outlets for a discounted price.

Also many computers come with graphics programs -- Corel come in my friend's computer and helped her learn to use it and liked it so much that I bought a copy of my own. I used to use the Corel graphics program way back in the DOS 3 to 5 era. There were other shareware programs that I've used through the years.

What's neat about this photo tutorial is that the explanations of WHY and HOW you do specific adjustments to photos are easy to understand -- and you can take that knowledge to other graphics programs. This is really TWO tutorials -- one on the craft of taking great photos -- the nuts and bolts -- which apply to any camera.

The graphics software is sort of like different camera models.

Corel is a bit easier for computer novices to use -- my opinion is based on teaching individuals how to use this specific software. The help screen is on the left -- and it talks you though the steps for tools selected (the eraser tool, for example). Then the help menu is there -- and Kevan's gives you the required photo software vocabulary to look specifics on YOUR software.

Another easy to use software is an older product by Microsoft called "Picture It" -- or Digital Camera Pro -- you can still get this program by searching Amazon.com. This is another very easy program that will do most of the photo enhancing techniques found in this tutorial.

Bottom line -- I do NOT have Photoshop on my computer and yet I was able to follow Kevan's very clear step by step process and use another graphics program.

The following photo did NOT follow the "How TO" take photos -- I held the camera, rather than use a tripod and the lighting was wrong. However, this photo used the two layers and I was able to do the corpse hand technique. Which is WAY cool!!!

The bead is my adaption of one Anne Ricketts tutorials.
Old 2009-05-28, 1:21am

Now if I spend more time on the How to take better photos (a tripod is a must for better focused beads) -- I'll get this bead making addiction under control.
Old 2009-06-20, 7:36pm
Entropy increasing....

Great job, Barbara!

And thanks for all the compliments. We really tried to make it as generic as possible.
Old 2010-06-24, 6:55pm
Newfoundland lover!

I just got it and read it all. It is Fantastic. I will be able to do this.
I really need a better camera. I have a kodak with 12 mega pixels, great, but this model has problems with the batteries dying out fast. So they are never charged when I want to use it.
I am going to give it a try first and save up for one of the cameras listed in the TUt.
Great job Kevan and I love your sense of humor!
Merilee

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2010-06-25, 1:06am
Entropy increasing....

Yes, you WILL be able to do this, Merilee.

PM me if you have any questions. I 'm always happy to help.
Old 2010-06-28, 7:42pm
Newfoundland lover!

Okay, This tutorial, Kevan, has helped me to FINALLY be able to take and post photos of my work!
I am still learning, but I am getting there with this photo thing. I love the tips on Photoshop, too.

Before

After

Thanks!
Merilee

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2010-06-28, 8:33pm
Entropy increasing....

Hooray! Looks great Merilee!
Old 2010-07-25, 2:24pm

Kevan, thanks so much. Great tutorial. I can finally take a decent photo of my beads!
Attached Images

Old 2010-07-25, 2:30pm

Sorry that photo is so large, I'll just go ahead and resize that!

Old 2011-04-26, 7:41am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Default Thank you Kevan!

Just wanted to post that this tutorial is invaluable, I'm so happy with the results I'm getting.

Thank you so much Kevan!

Old 2011-05-15, 5:33pm
Honey Badger

I love it, too! LOTS of good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
Just wanted to post that this tutorial is invaluable, I'm so happy with the results I'm getting.

Thank you so much Kevan!
Old 2011-05-15, 6:45pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I love it too. It helped me a lot. It'd help me more if I got off my butt and utilized the ENTIRE tutorial.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-07-23, 5:31am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Hi Kevan, Will you be adding more to your shop? I would love to get a copy of this! My hubby and I have been trying lots of different things and I think this will help us!

Old 2011-08-07, 8:10pm
Entropy increasing....

I will go do it now, thanks for pointing out that they were gone, Catie.
Old 2011-09-17, 12:36pm
Still makin' flowers...

In response to a couple of queries regarding my Selling on Etsy tutorial, nope, there isn't a step-by-step photography guide in it. THIS is the tutorial you want to get for that one.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2011-09-17, 8:42pm
Crazy Snake Lady

This tutorial improved my photography 1000% no exaggeration! I knew virtually nothing about my camera and was afraid to even try changing any of the settings. Now I'm comfortable with it and can confidently know that I'll get the best pictures I've ever gotten.
Old 2011-10-03, 5:14pm
professional gimme fiver

Thinking about getting this. I have PS Elements but haven't used it for bead photog yet.

Old 2011-12-20, 1:41pm
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Russell View Post
Questions above regarding IF this tutorial can be used with OTHER graphics programs OTHER than Photoshop???
I'll tell you what - Photoshop is totally worth it.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2011-12-31, 11:56pm
Entropy increasing....

Photoshop is definitely worth it if you are into photography. If you just want to work on your bead photos to make them better Elements is fine and Gimp is quite worth the money. (it's free)