Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-05-10, 10:20am

Default what torch for ex-15 oxy con?

i've got a mega minor that i've yet to set up, still using the hot head for now. my oxy con arrived this week, so i'm ready to start making marbles.

is there a torch that will better utilize a single ex15 then the mega minor?

thanks in advance!
Old 2012-05-10, 10:31am
Glass Addict

I have my GTT Lynx running on my ex-15...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-11, 1:09pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
i've got a mega minor that i've yet to set up, still using the hot head for now. my oxy con arrived this week, so i'm ready to start making marbles.

is there a torch that will better utilize a single ex15 then the mega minor?

thanks in advance!
The Mega Minor is an excellent torch and it can make
marbles very well, it works great on one EX-15.

It melts borosilicate just fine with an EX-15.

I would strongly suggest trying out the Mega Minor
for a while before you consider buying another torch.

If you are staying with soft glass the Mega Minor will be
more than you need, you will boil glass like never before !

Given that you have only used the hot head, you will
find that the Mega Minor is the least of your concerns
when you start making marbles with borosilicate colors.

Old 2012-05-18, 1:06pm

ok so i've got my mega setup on the ex15 and have already been blown away by how much hotter and faster it is then the hot head. made an 1 1/8" marble in 45 minutes as opposed to twice that almost lol.

so i ask....what is the optimum line pressure for this torch with this o2 source? the 2 to 6psi suggested is a pretty wide envelope and i'm quite the newb to this.

thanks in advance!
Old 2012-05-18, 1:14pm

Try playing around with it at different settings. As you get to feel more comfortable with what it can do for you and what you can do with it, you'll start finding the range that works best for the way you work. I generally use around 7 with a similar set up, but there's nothing wrong with going to a lower setting-- and it should improve your oxygen purity when you use a lower setting, too.

Have fun!

Mimi
Old 2012-05-19, 6:28am

oh i think i mis-typed last night.
i was asking what psi to have my propane set at, as the manual says 2 to 6.
Old 2012-05-19, 6:28am

i suspect the answer is the same though.
Old 2012-05-19, 6:32am

I set the propane between 5 and 7-- but you're right, play with it and see what works for you!

Mimi
Old 2012-05-23, 6:00am

Glad I found this thread, same questions I have been thinking of.....I have a mega minor that I have been using with tanked oxygen.......should I expect a reduction in flame power when I switch to an oxycon ? (just ordered one) especially with boro? (ordering that,too)thanks!
Old 2012-05-23, 11:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilegoddess View Post
I have my GTT Lynx running on my ex-15...
so how is that lynx on the ex15?
what do you make on it, and how large if you don't mind my asking?

my mega minor is nice, but of course with boro i'm pretty limited on that torch.
i want to be able to make 6" =/- spoon pipes (for tobacco of course) eventually, along with boro and soft glass marbles and beads.

as soon as i bought the mega minor i realized i should have gotten something slightly more capable.
Old 2012-05-28, 3:04pm

Quote:
my mega minor is nice, but of course with boro i'm pretty limited on that torch. i want to be able to make 6" =/- spoon pipes (for tobacco of course) eventually, along with boro and soft glass marbles and beads.

as soon as i bought the mega minor i realized i should have gotten something slightly more capable.
Your torch isn't going to be your limiting factor ... your oxycon is. You can buy a bigger torch, but you still won't have the oxygen to run it.

Pick up a second EX-15, and you'll be surprised at just how much power your Mega Minor has. Plus, when you do get a bigger torch (I'd suggest something like a GTT Scorpion), then you'll have the oxygen to run it.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-05-29, 5:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
Your torch isn't going to be your limiting factor ... your oxycon is. You can buy a bigger torch, but you still won't have the oxygen to run it.

Pick up a second EX-15, and you'll be surprised at just how much power your Mega Minor has. Plus, when you do get a bigger torch (I'd suggest something like a GTT Scorpion), then you'll have the oxygen to run it.

Malcolm

i realize that. just because i'm asking now about bigger torches does not mean i don't realize i need more o2 too. i was just asking about torches in the torch discussion forum.....i think i could have found one that utilizes oxy better then the mega minor (there are more efficient torches out there even i know that).....
that's why i rented a bottle this weekend.

i love it when people answer without reading the question.
Old 2012-05-29, 7:29am

Wow . . . enjoy your coffee now.

Stephen
Old 2012-05-29, 10:57am
Cave Dweller

Quote:
i realize that. just because i'm asking now about bigger torches does not mean i don't realize i need more o2 too. i was just asking about torches in the torch discussion forum.....i think i could have found one that utilizes oxy better then the mega minor (there are more efficient torches out there even i know that).....
that's why i rented a bottle this weekend.

i love it when people answer without reading the question.
Way to go newb...
You just crapped on a well respected vendor on these forums.

Good luck getting any further responses.

Old 2012-05-30, 4:26am

i don't really care, i don't really bow down to too many people.

i got pissed because when someone asks a question (a newb like me) such as "is there a torch that can better utilize an ex15 oxycon"
and then a vet answers with something like "well a newb like you wouldn't know, but you need more oxy not a better torch"
that would piss anyone off. seems some glass artists are just as pretentious as road bikers. go figure.
Old 2012-05-30, 5:03am

Hi ISTANDALONE. You requested assistance with your oxycon question and Malcolm, as one of the more respected vendors, shared some of his valued expertise with you. If you disagree with how he answered, let it rest.

I hope you get your question(s) get answered but your responses may now be limited.

Thanks

Duane
Quote:

i got pissed because when someone asks a question (a newb like me) such as "is there a torch that can better utilize an ex15 oxycon"
and then a vet answers with something like "well a newb like you wouldn't know, but you need more oxy not a better torch"
that would piss anyone off. seems some glass artists are just as pretentious as road bikers. go figure.

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Last edited by demcc2; 2012-05-30 at 5:41am.
Old 2012-05-30, 5:19am

Nice attitude, you'll get far in life with that. The problem lies with the original question of making 6 in. spoons with a single oxycon. I don't know of anyone that does it. I support the answer and if you can"t accept some free, well intentioned advice without pitching a tantrum, then continue standingalone24/7. Sheesh
Old 2012-05-30, 5:46am

wow.
i asked a simple question, in which someone answered in such a way that they obviously didn't understand the question. that's all.

i didn't ask for assistance with my torch or oxycon. i asked if there was a more efficient torch for this unit.

i then get told to "get another oxycon, your torch isn't the issue"

well that had nothing to do with my original question.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:25pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

The people on this forum have, collectively, many hundreds of years experience in glass working, torches, and oxycons. Many spend countless hours patiently answering questions from newbies and old timers alike. They do it to keep others safe, speed up the learning curve, or just plain give back to the glass commuinity.

I know I am as guilty as anyone when I read a posted question that has several parts or is not simply and concisely worded (no slam intended) and an answer forms in my head. Often this answer becomes the focus and the total question is lost.

You came to us with a question and we frail human beings attempted to answer it. You came back with an attitude that gave/gives the impression that you knew better than we all along.

The internet and the forums are a bad place for communication; frought with lost and misinterpreted ideas without the human expressions and inflections that enhanse face to face communication. Attitudes are, as well, misinterpreted. Leave yours somewhere else when you ask for help. You do not have a right to answers nor do we have an obligation to answer.

PJH

PS - I believe I have responded to several of your queries and I did not see evidense of this attitude so perhaps it's a bad day.

Be warned that you will see some pretty snarky responces for a while after this thread is see by a few more people so don't take offence...or not.

Last edited by cheng076; 2012-06-15 at 12:30pm.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:51pm

Quote:

You may not understand this but you have asked a very subjective question that has a lot of possible answers. I happen to agree with the vendor you castigated. Others have their own unique experiences and opinions. Best you can do is to research the archives here and at other forums and learn as much as possible so that you can make an informed decision.
Old 2012-06-17, 3:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
The people on this forum have, collectively, many hundreds of years experience in glass working, torches, and oxycons. Many spend countless hours patiently answering questions from newbies and old timers alike. They do it to keep others safe, speed up the learning curve, or just plain give back to the glass commuinity.

I know I am as guilty as anyone when I read a posted question that has several parts or is not simply and concisely worded (no slam intended) and an answer forms in my head. Often this answer becomes the focus and the total question is lost.

You came to us with a question and we frail human beings attempted to answer it. You came back with an attitude that gave/gives the impression that you knew better than we all along.

The internet and the forums are a bad place for communication; frought with lost and misinterpreted ideas without the human expressions and inflections that enhanse face to face communication. Attitudes are, as well, misinterpreted. Leave yours somewhere else when you ask for help. You do not have a right to answers nor do we have an obligation to answer.

PJH

PS - I believe I have responded to several of your queries and I did not see evidense of this attitude so perhaps it's a bad day.

Be warned that you will see some pretty snarky responces for a while after this thread is see by a few more people so don't take offence...or not.

i agree with you 100%, but EVERY internet forum i've been on has the same type of issues...and it's not just me..everyone i know and talk to says that it's hard to gauge emotion and intent in a post.
people will see from my other posts that i'm not a prick....or not (people can take me or leave me....i don't change for anyone) at all.

i just hate (and this isn't the only forum it's happened on, nor am i the only person who's had this issue on any open forum) when a newb asks something (and yes i probably could have worded it better) then a guru comes in and glazes over the question.....i always say if i'm going to read a post and and post back on that thread...i at least make sure i know the question at hand.

water under the bridge imo
Old 2012-07-18, 8:41am
We are all meant to shine

Quote:

Wow, sounds like someone I know. Your name woudnt happen to be Mike Law?

Old 2012-07-19, 7:15am

no it's not, and i've since apologized for that response.

if anyone cares, i've bought a GTT Cheetah and am getting a 2nd ex15 in the coming weeks. if that's not enough oxy then i have a brand new K tank in the garage.
it's shaping up to be a nice summer.

Last edited by istandalone24/7; 2012-07-19 at 7:17am. Reason: can't spell
Old 2012-07-19, 4:55pm

crap. gtt cheetah has quite the waiting list...got the midrange/premix instead along with the 2nd oxycon.
for what i'll be doing i think the midrange/pre is a touch more versatile, but the cheetah is hotter. maybe come xmas time.