LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-06-15, 12:46pm
boro color bender

Count me in... sounds like fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-15, 1:13pm
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Mike, how fast a torch melts glass is very important... if you want to increase production or get a larger gather hot... this particular test just shows the ability to melt glass and is a control to compare multiple torches.
I get that, I'm not totally without a brain...

if the point is to see how hot the torch is, then don't just melt the frickin' rod and cut it in half, measure the amount of time it takes to make an actual gather of a certain size, from, say, a 10 mm rod. That's certainly more reasonable than measuring how fast you can cut throw a large diameter rod. As I said, it's meaningless because it isn't a normal procedure.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-06-15, 5:35pm
I'm a lilac!

It's easier to measure than the process of making a gather, though.

Frankly, I think that side-by-side torch comparisons done by the same person are LESS useful, because on that particular day any given particular torch setup might or might not be adjusted to it's best capacity, regardless of the neutrality of the tester.

I think that multiple individuals reporting their individual test times, reporting the ambient temperature and the fuel and oxygen pressures (and volumes if applicable) is a far far more useful and relevant way to approach it, because we can not only learn what torches perform fastest, but at which pressures they perform at their best.

Old 2006-06-15, 7:42pm
Entropy increasing....

Soooo...is that a good time or not a good time? The rod cutting time, I mean.
Old 2006-06-15, 8:44pm
boro color bender

Kevan, Seems good to me, but I haven't ever timed anything before now. Never had a reason to. It really means nothing all by itself. It's a piece of data that needs to be coupled with other torches performing the same task...

Mike, like Kalera said... it's used as a control. The rod to cut is uniform. The amount of time it takes for the torch to melt the glass is the variable we want to measure for comparison... you really think some guy eye balling a gather and saying "Yep, it's the same size as the other one now...", would be more useful... how? Explain that one.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-16, 4:55am
Safety ALWAYS

Easy - melt a gather on the end of the rod, yes eyeball it to get it close, then use a marble mold to "finish" it, just a quick dip. I can demonstrate better than explain, but that's the rough gist --

The point of doing a demonstrable gather is that many times a large gather is used for encasing, pickups, mixing of colors, etc etc etc. It seems to me to be a more useful way to compare torch x to torch y, especially since it does go to heat, but especially penetrating heat.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-06-16, 5:30am
boro color bender

The rod cut measures the penetrating heat just as good, if not better and doesn't rely on eyeballing a darn thing... what do you think gets the center of the rod soft enough to seperate? It's the heat penetrating the rod man... Do a gather test if you want to Mike... it's a free country. Eyeball it till your hearts content.