LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-09-12, 7:25pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Default What's wrong with my Bobcat?

This started happening before I took my pregnancy "hiatus", so it's an on-going problem and now that I'm back into the full swing of things I'd like to get it fixed.

What's happening is that I can torch for about 30 minutes before my candles on the flame start to die on me. Some are taller than others, some don't even come out of the port. I usually get an hour of torching done before I have to quit, because the flame is so weak that I can't do much anyway.

I've had this torch for 4 years. I bought it used. I do not know if the previous owner ever sent it off to be cleaned, but I know that I haven't either. Is this something that needs to be done? Where do I send it for that? Is it something that I can do myself? Help!!
Old 2008-09-12, 9:00pm
Boro Brat

For the clogged ports, it sounds like your torch needs a cleaning. There are cleaning wires you can get (maybe directly from GTT) to put in the ports to clean them that will help knock the carbon out of them.

What oxygen source are you using? Propane or NG? It sounds to me like there is an underlying problem with your set-up. If you are using an oxy con, I would say it might be going downhill. If you are using propane, your might not have you regulator set where you think it is. I always adjust my propane regulator while my torch is running...same with the oxy regulator. If I set it before I run the torch, it gives me a false reading.

Running the torch while the flame is dying on you is what's causing the ports to get clogged up with carbon. Once you find out what else is going on, the ports should stay nice and clean after you have cleared them out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-12, 9:06pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

I'm using a propane tank and an M-15 oxycon. I've got the cleaning wires, and I use them before every session to ensure that things are good to go. But, the same thing happens regardless. What should my propane and oxycon be set at? That's probably my problem since it's been so long, I have forgotten what they're supposed to be at.
Old 2008-09-12, 9:55pm
PyronamixK

Your propane regulator should be set to 5-10 psi (Willy says 5-8 ).

There are a couple of things you might want to check.

First, check the screens on the ends of your studs for blockages.
Here is the back view of the Bobcat. The studs are the short lines coming straight off the torch:

At the ends of the short lines, there are brass barbs that connect to your oxygen and fuel lines. Disconnect them...

and inspect the ends of the barb fittings. There are little screens on the ends (not shown in the picture) and sometimes, debris will get caught in them and block off fuel or oxygen to the torch:

If you have any fine white powder on the oxygen side screen, take note.

If the screens are clear, the next thing to do would be to thoroughly clean the torch. There could possibly be something stuck in the little slots behind the tubes causing unusually uneven candles. Call GTT about that, they may want you to send the torch in to get checked out and get cleaned.

There definitely could be a problem with your set-up. If your propane is set high enough and there is no leak (always check for leaks at all points of connection and on the hose itself), it could be a regulator going bad. Watch the regulator while the torch is running and watch it to see if it fluctuates.

It could also be your concentrator failing. It is possible that if the purity is very low, it could be pushing enough air to distort the candles - and make them behave strangely.

I would think that if the problem were with the torch, it would act that way upon start-up. It sounds like something is changing as the set-up is being run.

Nevertheless, I would still send the torch in, first, to make sure that it is cleaned and in proper working order. Do that first before investing in a new regulator or sending your concentrator back.

What length do you typically run your candles?
Old 2008-09-12, 10:08pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

I keep my candles anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" from the ports. I've never actually looked at the propane regulator while the torch was running ... I'll definitely do that tomorrow. And, I'll definitely check the hoses. I was always afraid of removing anything, thinking that I would do more damage than good.

Thank you SO much for all of the help. The oxycon is fairly new, and I believe that there's still a little bit of time left on the warranty ... I'll have to check. But, I'll make sure that I check the hoses and torch first.

Thanks!!
Old 2008-09-13, 6:44pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Okay, so try as I might, I couldn't get the hoses to detach ... I pulled and tugged, and then got scared that I might "break" something, so I quit. I think I'm going to just send the torch into GTT when I can afford to get it cleaned. I don't want to do more damage than good.

I still have to light the torch and check out the propane regulator for fluctuation ... didn't have time for that today.
Old 2008-09-13, 7:02pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Take off the clamp and then cut the hose at the end of push on fitting on the torch. Then you can cut off the little piece that is stuck on the torch. It is VERY hard to pull off the hose when it has been clamped in place for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-13, 7:04pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

DUH!! Thank you Squid. I swear, my brain is fried. lol. Thanks for the tip, I'll tinker with it tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-13, 7:05pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Take off the clamp and then cut the hose at the end of push on fitting on the torch. Then you can cut off the little piece that is stuck on the torch. It is VERY hard to pull off the hose when it has been clamped in place for a while.
exactly
Old 2008-09-13, 7:06pm
PyronamixK

Hey, right now GTT doesn't charge for cleaning - you just pay for shipping back and forth.
Old 2008-09-13, 7:06pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-13, 7:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Hey, right now GTT doesn't charge for cleaning - you just pay for shipping back and forth.
Yet another reason I can't wait to get my Cricket!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-13, 7:24pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
OMG! Are you kidding!?!? Do I have to email them to let them know that I'm sending it first? I imagine that would be surprised to get a box (with the note attached) from me, expecting a free cleaning.

I emailed them yesterday. If I don't hear back from them by Tuesday (that gives me a little time to torch between now and then), then I'll call their number listed on the site and ask. That would be awesome to have it done and only have to pay for shipping!!
Old 2008-09-13, 8:16pm
PyronamixK

Yep, email or call them and they will tell you to take it off the base, pack it carefully and send it.
Old 2008-09-15, 10:25am
Crunchy ol' Momma

I cut the hoses to check on the screens, there were no obvious signs of blockage on either side (oxy or propane). So, I'm going to dismantle everything and call GTT later this afternoon. I'm going to go nuts not being able to torch, so I guess I'll have to stick to fusing until I get it back.
Old 2009-02-04, 2:19pm
Cali4nia baby

So what ended up being the problem ? My torch is doingthe same dang thing ..... I just got a new piece for my concentrator (X-15) too and am going crazy not being able to torch.... pleeez help if you can !
Old 2009-02-10, 7:36pm
Glass and silver addict

I am having some major problems with my Bobcat... i have cleaned it as instructed by GTT but still no good whatsoever.

It is sooting and reducing everything i put in the flame. I would be blaming the gas if i didn't have a Mini cc set up off the same gas source...the Mini cc is running perfectly.

The thing is i prefer the Bobcat's flame... i just want it to work again

What is the most "full on" clean i can do without killing the torch ? are they fairly hardy ?

Thanks

Monica

(hasn't been updated for...Hmmm... 2+ years..due to NO time !!)
Old 2009-02-11, 1:57am

First question...are you using an oxy concentrator? If so...check that. if it's not that then it's probably the valves on the torch. Call gtt and ask them to look at it. But make sure you cancel out the oxy concentrator or regulators as the problem.
Old 2009-02-11, 4:07am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

If you crank the valves closed too tightly, there is a teflon (?) seat that gets compressed. I did this with the Bobcat I had and
as I was torching (valve open,) the seat was decompressing, slowly restricting the flow of oxy to the torch. I couldn't figure out why it kept
reducing on me until I spoke with a vendor who said, It's Operator Error. After I started shutting off the valves gently, the torch worked
a lot better. I think in my paranoia about leaks, I went overboard on tightening the valves. Hope this info is helpful to someone.

Kelly

Old 2009-02-11, 3:24pm
Glass and silver addict

I am on tanked oxy at the moment with PSI set at at the bottle around 20. The flame is good and the heat is right. The flame doesn't even look like it has something wrong with it. It isn't until i put the glass into it that it gets the scum on it. I have tried different mixes on the gases... i have cleaned the torch a ridiculous number of times by the method told to me by GTT.

Just for some history... I used this torch for 3 years without any problems. I have since had a break from beading due to a number of reasons. I have set the torch up and now it has crap coming out of it (technical term ). The Mini CC set up next to the bobcat is a torch that i purchased just before my break and hadn't ever been used.

At this point i am thinking that some sort of rubbish has got into the torch or something has corroded while it wasn't in use ? ... I had sent another email to GTT (as i am in Australia) asking how to pull apart the torch and give it a total rebuild however i haven't heard back just yet. I am wasting money sending it back to the USA as postage back and forth would nearly cost me the same as a new one. I also really don't have the money at the moment ( would love not to be using bottled oxy...but oxycons in australia are much more expensive than in USA)

So... i have asked my very handy and trusted Dad to work his magic and see what he finds. I will keep you posted and let you know how it ends up... i might be saving for a new Bobcat and an oxycon !

Thank you RG9403 & Kelly for your comments

Monica

(hasn't been updated for...Hmmm... 2+ years..due to NO time !!)
Old 2009-02-11, 3:55pm

It sounds like you, perhaps, could be running a less oxygenated flame than is necessary for the glass you are using. If the balance is off, then that is when I get scum, etc. Just make sure that you have blue cones with just the slightest bit of yellow at the ends. Another thing to consider, is could something have gotten on your glass during your hiatus that could be causing the problem, household sprays, whatever.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-02-11, 8:42pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

I had problems with my bobcat this weekend that after reading everyone's advice and suggestions, I am wondering if it is caused by my regulator. My flame increases and decreases while torching, and when I went outside to see if my propane tank was low, the regulator kept showing little if any pressure. When I moved the tank to see how full it was, it went back up momentarily and then down again. The tank is low, but not empty. Any suggestions?
Old 2009-02-12, 12:08am

it's probably your regulator...I sometimes have a similar problem where my propane pressure will slightly increase and decrease...not much but sometimes it can be annoying. I also bought a referbished regulator for 25bucks ...
Old 2009-02-12, 10:04am
PyronamixK

It sounds like you could be skating a bad flame. Once you carbon up a torch, if there is still baked-on carbon in the tubes, it will just keep attracting more carbon, even if you correct how you're running the flame.

Clean your torch really well per GTT instructions (DO NOT take the torch apart) and run a really aggressive flame for a minute or so to clear out any debris. Then, when you go back to a regular flame to work, increase the oxygen a little bit (with torch valves). Also, check to see how far out from the face you are working.

There's nothing inside the torch that would corrode. Taking it apart does nothing to help, either, and can cause more problems if it isn't put back together properly.
Old 2009-02-12, 5:59pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg9403 View Post
it's probably your regulator...I sometimes have a similar problem where my propane pressure will slightly increase and decrease...not much but sometimes it can be annoying. I also bought a referbished regulator for 25bucks ...
Thanks for the advice.