LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-02-10, 3:13pm

Default The Glass Symphony. . .

For quite awhile now, I've been working on a new ebook, called "The Glass Symphony". I had been asked by several lovely folks to do a surface applied rose tutorial. Given all of the bad vibes going on within the community in terms of tutorials and issues that I was having with the concept all by myself, I had almost become convinced that I'd not write anything again. I stated I wouldn't. Stated I would. Then did that all over again a couple more times. Now since I've actually been writing it, I guess I'm back to my final stance. . .I have written something and this time, I feel great about it.

One of the biggest issues that I had was WHAT I wanted to write and whether or not it would be well received. Writing another step by step design tutorial just isn't what I wanted to do. The last two that I wrote didn't sit well with me because there was so much that I wanted to say in them, but I didn't want my written work to be considered to "wordy". You know what I mean, too much talkie, not enough action? I can't write another piece like that although I'm extremely grateful to those who purchase and use my tutorials. Were it not for you, I wouldn't be interested in writing something new.

When I sat down to begin writing this book, I thought a lot about my own struggles as an artist. I jotted those struggles down on a piece of paper and began to approach each one and how I overcame them. I had forgotten how much anxiety I had as a new artist. The brand of anxiety that I feel today is a bit different and is there for different reasons, so it was nice to reflect back on the years that were exciting, yet troubling for me. I think somehow as I was writing this book I was able to connect with my muse again. Hopefully, if you are struggling, it will help you connect or reconnect with yours as well.

The book is called, "The Glass Symphony" and here's a little info on it's contents. . .

Introduction - What the book is about and why I chose to write it.

The Glass Symphony -A piece written as an inspirational tool. It's goal is to inspire you to be the composer and conductor of your own designs.

The Fundamentals of Design - This chapter covers theoretical principles and elements of design by using common elements within glass beads for the purpose of illustrating the theories. Some of you are already familiar with the fundamentals of design but I think it will be extremely helpful for those who are not.

Color Theory - This chapter will be all about color. I'll also use beads and rods to help explain color relationships and schemes, color distance and temperature as well as a list of color related definitions and how to use the color wheel.

The remainder of the chapters are dedicated to using the elements and principles of design to create your own version of a rose bead. I'll show you several different methods of applying a blooming rose design and a rose bud to the surface of your bead. I'll also make several color suggestions for the roses. Once you've practiced the rose design, we'll move on to the leaves and smaller floral elements. Then we'll experiment with the composition's form, textures, ect.

The reason that I chose to express the exercises in this manner, rather than doing a conventional tutorial, is because I personally think it's a better value than what I gave you in the past.

Some of the exercises in this book will be better executed by the advanced lampworker, but that doesn't mean that you new bead makers shouldn't give it a try. I think it will inspire those of all bead making levels. At least, that is my hope. In writing this, one of the most difficult things I dealt with was my own insecurities. . .Who died and made me the boss of what is and isn't art? What makes me the expert on this subject? Well, no one died and I'm not. I do know what worked for me throughout my journey and the theories that I use to compose visual art and that's what I want to share with you.

I am hoping to have this "thang" wrapped up by the weekend but it's been a project to say the least. If it's not ready by then, I should at least have a preview available for those that are interested.

Thanks ya'll, and if you have any questions in the meantime, fire away. . .I'll be glad to try and answer.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ashtonjewels; 2009-02-10 at 3:17pm. Reason: grammar issue
Old 2009-02-10, 3:43pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

Lydia..When will this book be ready to buy? On your site? Looking ofrward to it!!!! Can't wait to see you in March!!!
Old 2009-02-10, 3:53pm

Thanks Susan! I'm hoping that it will be done by this weekend but that may be stretching it. As soon as it's ready, I'll come back and post. Yes, it will be on my site.
Looking forward to seeing too!!! I'm very excited!

Old 2009-02-10, 4:02pm
The Brighter the Better!

Wow! Can't wait to get this one,

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2009-02-10, 6:02pm
Knob Creek Glass

I am also looking forward to it!!! Thank you for thinking of us.
Old 2009-02-10, 6:09pm
Dangerous Woman

I can't wait!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-02-10, 8:01pm
Burning Fingers!

Getting my credit card all warmed up and ready!

/
/
/

Old 2009-02-10, 8:14pm

It sounds great Lydia!
Old 2009-02-10, 8:33pm

Thanks you guys! I'm so thrilled that you all looking forward to it!!

Old 2009-02-10, 8:38pm

oooh, I thought this might help too. For those of you that don't already have one, this is the color wheel that I'll be using in my book. The item number is 04951-0000, and it is called "The Pocket Color Wheel". You can get it at Dickblick.com for only a couple of bucks. . .

Old 2009-02-11, 11:54am

This sounds like something worth owning. You say you aren't THE "expert" no one is. You certainly have a lot of expertise, and that you are willing to share, is very generous. I look forward to purchasing this E-book.

Old 2009-02-11, 12:25pm
moth to the flame

I am looking forward to it as well!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-02-11, 8:08pm

Lydia,

Fantastic! Thanks to you and other glass artists willing to sharing ideas, tips, and talent. I can't express enough how much I appreciate the tutorials available in this forum.

Deb
Old 2009-02-12, 5:55am

Thanks so much! I said in my first post that I thought I would have this done by the weekend but I was WRONG. At this point, I think it will be sometime later next week. I decided to add another chapter.

Thank you all again, for you encouragement! I'll be back with an update, soon.

Old 2009-02-12, 11:08am

Fyi. I don'tm ind "wordy."
This sounds like it will be great!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-12, 11:14am
Cancer SUCKS!

Sounds like an awesome tutorial. Can't wait until it's done.

Old 2009-02-12, 3:02pm

Yes. Let us know. Your beads are beautiful.

Rose Leslie
Old 2009-02-12, 6:12pm

Aww, thanks ladies!!!

Old 2009-02-12, 7:05pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I don't feel anything about glass is ever to "wordy". IMO the more I read the better my work gets.
Do you have any idea how much this tut may be? I need to set aside some funds.

Old 2009-02-13, 7:40am

Agreed. Or I have to rob my savings. What savings????? Wuill have to sell something.

Rose Leslie
Old 2009-02-13, 7:53am

Lydia, this sounds great. I'm guessing this will be an invaluable tool for beginning bead makers to lay a solid foundation, as well as help those of us who have been at it a while increase our repetoir and broaden our skills. I like the idea that you're sharing concepts that will get us thinking and inspire us along with the techniques we can learn from you. And, knowing the way you do things, I'll bet you've got the makings of a beautiful, informative hard copy book here, if you so choose. Can't wait to get this. Thanks for sharing your talent and knowlege.

Old 2009-02-13, 8:18am

Looking forward to Glass Symphony!

Sals
Old 2009-02-17, 8:17pm

Thanks you guys! Well, I am still plugging away at this and I'm no where near finished. The problem is that I had planned to include a "small section" on color but it's exploded into something WAY bigger than I had anticipated. No kidding. . .I have spent the past five days doing working on this one chapter. My head hurts and I am going to have to take a few days to make beads so that I don't end up bankrupt in the mean time.

Tracy, Rose Leslie, I am sorry. I don't know how much this book is going to cost yet but as soon as I know I'll come back and post the price here.

Thanks for being patient ya'll. I wish I would have waited to announce this. . .I really did think I was close to being finished.

Old 2009-02-17, 9:49pm
Dangerous Woman

Take your time and do it the way you want. We'll still be here drooling when it comes out. FWIW I like wordy too!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-02-17, 10:56pm
The Brighter the Better!

I am stashing my penies for this one! Can't wait, but as they say "a job well done...". It should be fantastic,

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2009-02-18, 2:37pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

thats okay Lydia...take a break. We will all be here waiting when you get it finished. If you get it done by the time you come to Carolyn's bring it with you I will cut you a check and have it in hand when I leave....YEAHHHHHH!!!!!
(if it is possiable)
Old 2009-02-26, 10:24am

I came back to this thread today to provide an update on the release of "The Glass Symphohy". I am so sorry to have promised something that I can't deliver right now. I posted a long explanation in my blog this morning that sums up why I have decided to extend this project indefinately. You can read it here, if you'd like.

However, I am still writing the rose tutorial and am working on it as I write this. Further information on the rose tutorial can be found in the blog post as well. Again, please except my sincerest apology. I feel like such a dork right now.

Old 2009-02-26, 11:45am
Gay rights R human rights

It will be worth the wait. And I cant wait for the rose tutorial!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2009-02-26, 1:07pm

Lydia~~~ Thank you and best wishes always!

Old 2009-02-27, 11:56am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonjewels View Post
I came back to this thread today to provide an update on the release of "The Glass Symphohy". I am so sorry to have promised something that I can't deliver right now. I posted a long explanation in my blog this morning that sums up why I have decided to extend this project indefinately. You can read it here, if you'd like.

However, I am still writing the rose tutorial and am working on it as I write this. Further information on the rose tutorial can be found in the blog post as well. Again, please except my sincerest apology. I feel like such a dork right now.
Aw, don't feel like a dork Lydia! I think you are only being honest and following your standards of what you think will be the best info for those of us who are lo,king forward to your book and I think you should be applauded for being so upfront about it! Many will not mind waiting (I know I won't ) and when you get it like you want it I know it will feel so good for you to release it knowing its the very best you could offer.

Looking forward to the Rose tut!!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.