Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-01-05, 9:45pm
Angel's Mom

Default What is the temp difference between HH systems and dual-fuel?

I've always heard the dual-fuel is hotter than a HH system. Does anyone know approx. how hot the two systems can get?
Old 2010-01-06, 12:01am

A quick, rough answer is that a propane-oxygen flame is about 1000°F greater than a HH using propylene/MAPP.

A HH is about 3600°F. A propane-oxygen torch can get up to about 5100°F but under working conditions is less (I've seen 4600°F and as low as 4000°F) depending on the fuel to oxygen mixture.

I've seen arguments that "you can't really tell" because different references give slightly different numbers, but the references give consistent numbers within a narrow band, so I've given some round numbers.

I'm sure you'll get better answers soon; if not, I'll look at more references tomorrow. If you have "More than you ever wanted to know about glass beadmaking", I'm pretty sure that there are tables with flame temperatures in one of the chapters.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2010-01-06 at 12:21am.
Old 2010-01-06, 11:44am
Angel's Mom

Thanks!
Old 2010-01-06, 4:38pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Just to clear up a misinformation phrase, the is no such thing as a "dual fuel" torch (at lease not in lampwork world at this time) ...... I don't know where the phrase "dual fuel" came form but its just wrong.....

There are two types of torches, a fuel/air such as a Hot Head and the fuel/oxygen torch like a minor or bobcat, or cricket or national 8m or many others...

All these are are a single fuel torches and use either air or oxygen as a oxidizer to support enhance combustion....

Also depending on your source of information the difference from a fuel/air torch and a fuel/oxygen torch is anywhere from 1000° f. to 1500° f. hotter for the fuel/oxygen torch ... Also one has to take into consideration the fuel being uses as some fuels like naturals gas is not quite as "hot" as propane....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-01-06 at 4:45pm.
Old 2010-01-06, 7:48pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

i don't think a HH gets to 3300°F, if it did, it could easily melt steel and make boro very liquid. Probably tops out at around closer 2500°F or vicinity.
Old 2010-01-06, 9:22pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Just to clear up a misinformation phrase, the is no such thing as a "dual fuel" torch (at lease not in lampwork world at this time) ...... I don't know where the phrase "dual fuel" came form but its just wrong.....

Dale
Then what are the extra knobs for on the GTT Scorpion?
Old 2010-01-06, 9:39pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Then what are the extra knobs for on the GTT Scorpion?
Multiple fuel inlets and oxygen inlets (valves) are used to control different aspects of how much flame is produced (inner and outer rings) and control of flame chemistry....

It still uses only one fuel and one oxygen source..... Yes I guess it may be possible to use NG for inner flame and propane for outer flame on many multi-valve torches, but flame chemistry is probably going to go out the window, and I have not heard of anyone actually doing this...

Also people can run a oxycon for inner flame and tanked oxygen for outer flame for that extra push..... But technically its still oxygen/fuel flame...

Dale

Old 2010-01-06, 10:23pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Multiple fuel inlets and oxygen inlets (valves) are used to control different aspects of how much flame is produced (inner and outer rings) and control of flame chemistry....

It still uses only one fuel and one oxygen source..... Yes I guess it may be possible to use NG for inner flame and propane for outer flame on many multi-valve torches, but flame chemistry is probably going to go out the window, and I have not heard of anyone actually doing this...

Also people can run a oxycon for inner flame and tanked oxygen for outer flame for that extra push..... But technically its still oxygen/fuel flame...

Dale
Thanks for the explanation Dale. I really need to get to one of these flame-offs to witness these multi-valve torches in action. Would these type of torches be more suitable for glass sculpting, blowing and larger objects?
Old 2010-01-07, 7:53am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Thanks for the explanation Dale. I really need to get to one of these flame-offs to witness these multi-valve torches in action. Would these type of torches be more suitable for glass sculpting, blowing and larger objects?
Every body will have a different opinion on what is best big torch.... It comes down to how much heat do you need .... The great thing about some of the bigger torches is controllable, they have basically two (or three) torches in one, you can run small inner fire for smaller work and then ramp up outer flame to do larger work with inner flame plus outer flame..... Some of the better system use foot pedals to control outer flame, so you can have that heat on demand similar to using accelerator pedal in a car....

Then there are combination torches, generally the large torch on bottom with smaller torch mounted on top.... You can use either big torch or small one or have both on at once depending on amount of heat needed to work object...

Dale

Old 2010-01-09, 2:01pm

I have to disagree with Dale. and according to the dictionary the definition of fuel is. "Anything burned to produce energy or heat." And Oxygen fits that description.

So there are duel fuel torches.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2010-01-09, 2:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post
I have to disagree with Dale. and according to the dictionary the definition of fuel is. "Anything burned to produce energy or heat." And Oxygen fits that description.

Scott
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Oxygen in not a fuel, it is an 'oxidizer'; an element necessary to support combustion, but it is not a 'fuel'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidizing_agent

"... an oxidizing agent is a substance that is not necessarily combustible, but may, generally by yielding oxygen, cause or contribute to the combustion of other material ... "

And, this has been discussed here before:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=72

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...78&postcount=5

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-01-09, 8:08pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:

Scott
You are right fuel burns to produce heat... But oxygen does not burn, it supports combustion... So without a oxidizer (oxygen/air) fuel does nothing, its for all practical purposes inert!....

This is basic junior high school science........

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-01-10 at 10:31am.
Old 2010-01-21, 1:10pm
Pyromaniac

Obviously Dual Gas and Fuel Gas got combined somehow to Dual Fuel =) You gotta admit it's got a certain ring to it! And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-21, 5:31pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:

Scott
Actual the is no such thing as a duel fuel torch.... To "duel" is for two opponents to engage in some of a fight or competition... As with guns or swords or compete is some sport....

Now if you want to discuss dual, that is more than one but usually less than three and or serving more than role....

Dale

Old 2010-01-21, 5:34pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Obviously Dual Gas and Fuel Gas got combined somehow to Dual Fuel =) You gotta admit it's got a certain ring to it! And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
One may assume the phrase came about from someone whose information was limited and they assumed because there were dual tanks (2 tanks) it was a dual fuel... Not knowing one tank was a fuel and one tank was an oxidizer...

Dale