Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-02-27, 4:28pm

Question Pirahna...center candle always long, normal?

Hi all, I was checking the earlier Pirahna thread to see if it answered my question, but doesn't.

So, The Piranha has 6 jets, 5 around in circle, and one in center. I just upgraded to this torch along with a P-10 oxy con.

Question: My 5 outer jets are always blue and even; however, my center jet is about 1 1 /2 times longer and looks reducy (yellow). Is this normal? I asked the supplier who I bought it from, and they said yes. But, I'm not sure and I don't want to "BURN" through some rubino ($$$) etc. with a reducy flame. I have cleaned out my jets with the wire and gently tapped the torch when running with a wooden block to gently knock out carbon, but no probs there.

I let my oxy con. warm up about 20 minutes before lighting up. Also, the manual it came with said to "have the yellow flame close to the burner head when initially lighting." With my minor, I usually got about a hand's length of flame before dialing in the oxy. Question 2: Approx. how large a propane flame do you guys dial up before adding oxy with a Pirahna?

I emailed Bethlehem, about 1 1/2 weeks ago, but haven't heard back yet, but that might be the wrong person, out of town, etc. ...I'll call Penn. tomorrow.

Any tips? Pirahna users? Suggested contacts?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Kristy
Old 2006-02-27, 4:31pm
Back from the Dark Side

That is how mine is. Definately makes getting an oxygen rich flame a challenge! Hopefully someone else will give us some more info!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-02-27, 5:10pm
PyronamixK

Has your center tube eroded back at all?

P.S. This is definitely NOT normal. That center jet is oxygen starved. Oxygen seems to be getting to the outer tubes and mixing properly, but not to that center tube. If your center candle was just a tiny bit longer than the other ones, that would be o.k. But, you said that it is 1 1/2 times the length of the other candles and that just is not normal.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2006-02-27 at 5:24pm.
Old 2006-02-27, 5:53pm

Kristy,

I just upgraded about a month ago as well....same set-up..and P10 and a Piranha. Mine is running just like yours, but the center flame isn't really yellow on mine, but it is definitely longer than the others. I have no reference point to know if it's running correctly, but it seems to be doing an incredible job on the glass.....what have you got your propane pressures set at....when I first set it up...I had too much propane and I couldn't get the yellow out of the flame....only help I can offer you. I'm running mine about 4psi

Wonker
Old 2006-02-27, 5:54pm

I have a new Piranha and it runs with the center candle just a little bit longer than the rest and a slight yellow tip. This is with a 5 lpm oxy con.
Old 2006-02-27, 6:08pm

Do any of you that are running on the p10's have a tank of compressed o2 to try? To see if you can run it with a more o2 rich flame So you can rule out if its the p10 being a lil under powered or if its a problem with the torch.
having a flame sticking out could be pretty anoying.
Old 2006-02-27, 6:21pm
Sheila

I just got an M-10 (same as the P-10) and a Piranha, too. My center candle is a bit longer with a tiny bit of yellow at the tip. But my center candle is only maybe 15% longer than the outside ring. I was told that this is normal and not to worry about it.

Old 2006-02-27, 6:22pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonker
Kristy,

I just upgraded about a month ago as well....same set-up..and P10 and a Piranha. Mine is running just like yours, but the center flame isn't really yellow on mine, but it is definitely longer than the others. I have no reference point to know if it's running correctly, but it seems to be doing an incredible job on the glass.....what have you got your propane pressures set at....when I first set it up...I had too much propane and I couldn't get the yellow out of the flame....only help I can offer you. I'm running mine about 4psi

Wonker
Having uneven candles is not necessarily a problem. Having a candle that is grossly out of whack with a lot of yellow is a problem with any torch.

If she were running too much propane, all the tips would be yellow, not just one. Changing pressure at the regulator won't affect anything unless you are having problems with your valves. The needle valves control the flow.

The way Kristy described it, it sounds like a problem with one jet not getting enough oxygen. It's getting enough gas (and not too much, if the other candles are blue-tipped).

Kristy, was it like this out of the box? Is it new or used?
Old 2006-02-27, 7:26pm

Oh good, I was hoping I'd hear some drums beating on this one!

My propane pressure is also lower on the Pirahna then it was on my Nortel Minor. I used to be around 4-5, but now I am at 3-4 with the Pirahna.

This is a new torch and new concentrator setup that is being touted as being able to do boro and soft glass beads, and I believe small boro sculpture...so there was my appeal! Woo hoo, let's go.

My former minor torch and concentrator always tended to run a bit reducy (remember, this is MY setup; however, several glass buds noted they did not have this problem, so I think it was MY concentrator). If I put an amazon night GA stick to test the reductive quality of my former torch, it would be the extreme "yes" category of light blue! So fussy colors like rubinos, corals, reds (any cadmiums) were a total pain on the minor/concentrator I had. I'd use the same glass at our Southern Flame torches at classes or our rental torches and no problem, so it was my set up, not the glass.

That's why I want to MAKE SURE that I have this torch set up right from the get go. I've been experimenting with colors, distance from the candles, pressures, etc. I think I'm coming to the conclusion (with only 4-5 hours torching mind you) that this torch is quieter,runs hotter, plus I need to be further up the flame than with the minor. I was boiling white Moretti on the Pirahna (remember when you first used alabaster glass or opalinos? ) and was making it sizzle and bubble. Yuck. I lowered the heat and moved up in the flame. I think I was originally thinking that the same "looking flame" in terms of size, length, etc. would create the same heat environment as the minor did, but the Pirahna is hotter, even if the flame size "looks" the same. And my GA amazon night is not showing metals or blue, just a tad, so that's a good test for a reducing flame. .....But that long, yellowish middle candle...

Don't get me wrong, I am expecting a learning curve with this torch and that comes through torching which I enjoy, but if I'm out the door with an improper flame with that middle candle, then I'm really going to learn it ALL wrong and then have to unlearn it. Oh, I even had an oxy purity test done on my concentrator (Dan Reinegal rocks), and it was up to speed.

I'm going to re-call Bethlehem tomorrow,and I'll post what they tell me if I can get hold of a tech rep that really knows this torch and can share the normal running candle "look" and the height of the initial propane flame.

Thanks all!!! Kristy
Old 2006-02-27, 7:43pm

Kristy,

Can you post a picture of your torch lit?

Barb
Old 2006-02-27, 7:53pm

Barb, you know what...I have never posted a pix on a forum before since I barely have time to gloss over them. I'm getting ready to head down and flip the kiln then crash. I did take a photo and emailed it to Bethlehem, but never heard back (but remember, it might be the wrong person since I pulled her email from a list of names from their website).

I'll try to learn how to post tomorrow since a pix would really show it better than I can say. duh

Kristy
Old 2006-02-27, 8:17pm

It sounds kinda like mine but I'm still running the one concentrator - my P-10 should be here by the weekend if I'm lucky. I can get the small candles around the ring to blue but the middle one is longer and always with a yellow tip. It did adjust somewhat when I played with the propane but not that much. I am having trouble with the propane regulator shifting up and down.

I'll be watching this thread.

Thanks -

Martha
Old 2006-02-27, 10:22pm

I think there would be something wrong if the middle candle is 1 1/2 inches longer. I would be concerned. You know, Marcie the Lauscha Color of the Month lady is also the Piranha sales rep. I would email her about your middle candle.

As far as how it should all work, I think Kristy is right on point about everything. It is hotter, you will work further out. I don't know about the gas pressure, I just use a pancake regulator and it is considered low pressure which I think is around 3.

I had always had a yellow tip in the middle candle which is slightly longer than the rest. I have had this set up for about a year and a half with one concentrator. I have added a second concentrator so I am 2x5 LPM, and it is so sweet. It has made a huge difference. I have much more heat even with a small flame. I can also get the yellow out of the middle flame. I have been the rubino queen for a week with no problems at all, and I have not been careful. I haven't tried the dark plum yet, but I am feeling this is a finally a neutral flame. So, I have the opinion that you can run a Piranha on one concentrator just like a Lynx BUT just like a Lynx it is best to have more oxygen.

I just love my Piranha!!
Lisa
Old 2006-02-27, 10:51pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreamDesigns
I am having trouble with the propane regulator shifting up and down.
Martha, are you observing the pressure changes on the regulator gauge itself or just from the fluctuation in the flame at the torch?

Kristy, a picture would indeed be most helpful. Like I said earlier, uneven candles are not necessarily abnormal - it depends on how uneven and how much yellow tip there is.
Old 2006-02-28, 4:18am
lov'in life!!!

Hi Kristy. I ran a Piranha setup for about a year. I did have to have the torch replaced twice (the burners needed a few kinks worked out, now they run great). The center fire will always be longer than the outside candles though. You should be able to play around with your dials and make the candles do different things. Reducing means yellow candles and oxidizing means bluer candle with a hiss. If you can't make that inner fire go completely blue, I would say something is definitely wrong with something. I am on NG with two oxycon's. I now have the Barracuda that has the Piranha inner fire. It works like a charm. If you call Bethlehem, ask to speak to Jerry, I think it is. My mind is mush right now but I think that's his name
Good luck

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-02-28, 5:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
Martha, are you observing the pressure changes on the regulator gauge itself or just from the fluctuation in the flame at the torch?

Kristy, a picture would indeed be most helpful. Like I said earlier, uneven candles are not necessarily abnormal - it depends on how uneven and how much yellow tip there is.
Um, after I open it up, it is hard to get it to adjust to one setting and stay there. I've set it at what looks like four, get fluctuations at the torch go back out and it's around 2. or set it at 2-3 and it goes to 6. So far i can't find a pattern (warming up, too cold out, etc.). I had a lot of problems seating the gauge in the beginning to the tank and getting fuel flowing so it may be my connection? I need to try another one.

Sorry to hijack

Martha
Old 2006-02-28, 5:19am

Hi Kristy, This may be a stupid suggestion that you have already followed, but have you tried cleaning that port? Perhaps for some unknown reason that particular port is clogged up and cleaning will help. It really sounds as though you will need more oxy to get rid of that yellow, but perhaps just a good cleaning will help.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-02-28, 5:38am
Safety ALWAYS

I'm gonna say no, this is NOT normal. I've got two Piranha's, a Barracuda and a Tiger Shark, both of which use the Piranha as the center fire.

The center cone of flame should be "slightly" longer than the outer cones, but not significantly.

As Pam says, I'd get the cleaning wires out and do some serious reaming of the both the oxygen and propane ports.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-02-28, 6:24am
Back from the Dark Side

My center candle is not significantly longer, but when you are used to a minor, it seems that way It took me a while to get adjusted to it, and as far as an oxy rich or reducing flame, i usually go by the outer candle tips.

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-02-28, 6:32am
ManBearPig

It depends on how much longer. The center candle on my Tiger Shark is longer than the surrounding candles. Not a lot, but noticably longer. Every Bethlehem I've ever seen is like that.

Old 2006-02-28, 7:19am
Cheesehead Packer lover

I'm just about to buy a Piranha, but this thread has given me some reservations.
I don't mind the learning curve, but it sounds as though these torches have a few problems. I do mostly soft glass but I'm also doing some boro now. I have 2 oxycons and tanked propane. I plan to hook up to ng, but my trusty minor just isn't cutting it with the boro. Any other options out there?????????
Is the Betta here yet? Ideas anyone?

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-02-28, 7:22am
ManBearPig

There aren't any problems. Just a matter of getting used to a different torch.

Each torch is designed differently, and will have different flame characteristics than other brands of torches.

Old 2006-02-28, 7:22am

I'm sure the pirahna is a good torch, but she obviously has something wrong with her torch, or her oxy supply. I tried the Betta when I was in Atlanta and it has a wonderful strong flame. I didn't try it on ng and since it was a class situation it was running on the same pressures as the other torches hooked up to the manifold. I also didn't try it with boro, but it worked nicely with soft glass.
Pam

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-02-28, 7:39am
lov'in life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadgal
I'm just about to buy a Piranha, but this thread has given me some reservations.
I don't mind the learning curve, but it sounds as though these torches have a few problems. I do mostly soft glass but I'm also doing some boro now. I have 2 oxycons and tanked propane. I plan to hook up to ng, but my trusty minor just isn't cutting it with the boro. Any other options out there?????????
Is the Betta here yet? Ideas anyone?
Cherie, please don't be afraid to buy a Piranha. They are great torches. They just needed a few adjustments and the people over at Bethlehem are wonderful to work with. If you have any concerns, why don't you give them a call. I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss them with you. A Piranha, with two oxycon's and tanked propane will rock! I am on NG...I sure wish I could get them to put a 5lb metere out here

Old 2006-02-28, 7:48am
ManBearPig

Yep. Great torches. I wouldn't dream of going back to my Nortel after working on my Bethlehem.

But, I'll repeat what I said earlier... torches are not all designed the same. A neutral flame on a Nortel won't look the same as a neutral flame on a Bethlehem, which will look different than a neutral flame on a GTT. Just because it looks different, that doesn't mean it's wrong. The best way to find out is to test the flame and see if it's neutral. Don't automatically assume it's wrong because it doesn't look like you think it should.

Every torch is capable of a neutral flame, and every torch is capable of an oxidizing or reducing flame. It's just a matter of finding out where it is on the torch.

Old 2006-02-28, 8:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyN
Barb, you know what...I have never posted a pix on a forum before since I barely have time to gloss over them. I'm getting ready to head down and flip the kiln then crash. I did take a photo and emailed it to Bethlehem, but never heard back (but remember, it might be the wrong person since I pulled her email from a list of names from their website).

I'll try to learn how to post tomorrow since a pix would really show it better than I can say. duh

Kristy
Kristy - if you need help posting a photo or if it's easier to email it to one of us we can post it for you. Visual will definitely make it easier for others to advise you. Barb
Old 2006-02-28, 8:15am

Hi all, Cheri, for clarification....I am not UNHAPPY with my Pirahna, I'm just learning how to use it and asking questions. So please don't anyone assume that I am slamming the torch. I'm just tossing out questions to figure it out since it is different than the minor...and I didn't want to go on the assumption that the center higher flame was normal...you know what they say about assuming! LOL

Okay, Yes, I already noted that I had cleaned out the torch ports with the provided cleaner and gently tapped it with a wooden tool just like the instruction sheet noted, and we did burp out some junk there. But still I had the center candle thing going.

I did call Bethlehem this morning and spoke to Jerry. I think I saw someone mention his name above. He was very kind, and I asked him if I could post his name here and refer others to him since we were all discussing the Pirahna....he said no problem, call with questions.

Here's the scoop from him:
- Yes, the center candle does run taller than the others, but with various pressures from oxy/propane, you can get them even, but having it taller is okay and "normal." I've got a P-10 oxy concentrator that is supposed to run the Pirahna easily, and everyone from Generations Glass to Jerry agrees on that. I don't think my other oxy con operating at 5 lpm would have had enough go go juice, thus the rationale for my P-10 purchase.

- However, I am still concerned about the "yellowish" tinge of my center flame. If it was totally blue, I don't think I would be as concerned, but the yellow reminds me of when I adjust my minor for a reduction effect, although the Pirahna's is not that bold. Jerry noted to take the gas pressure up in small increments, but not go above 5. I was hesitant to go above 4 since the instructions note it should be set at a lower range although 3-5 pounds is listed on fuel pressure. Various artists noted they had their pressure set lower with this torchm then with a minor. So, I'm gonna play around with the propane at the tank regulator to adjust the issue of the center, yellow candle.

- I did the dreaded rubino test last night, and it came out actually a pretty color of fuschia, so that's good. My GA Amazon stick is still slightly reducy, but again, I need to play with my dials and adjust and learn.

- I noticed some "tinking" sounds with this torch and thought it was my glass breaking, but Jerry noted that new torches have solder and such that it might be gunking out over time. He said the best time to clean it is after it had been run (I had ASSUMED to do it before torching on a cold torch). He said to use the cleaning wire on the ports with it warm (after a session) and the oxy running. Then light up to burn the loosened crud out.

Darn, I made my first attempt to load a jpeg picture of the flame, but it noted it was too large for the parameter of this forum. I'll have to go back and figure that out.

If any of you other guys have any Pirahna info., pleae share! Thanks,Kristy
Old 2006-02-28, 8:41am

Okay, I think I can post this picture now to show the middle candle. This picture shows the length corrrectly, but the yellow doesn't photograph well in the center of the flame. It is more yellow with naked eye.--Kristy
Attached Images

Old 2006-02-28, 9:07am
lov'in life!!!

Kristy, that flame doesn't look right to me. Now, keep in mind, I'm on a NG setup with 2 oxycon's and only 2 lbs. of pressure. My candles aren't nearly that long though. What happens when you turn down your pressure on your propane tank? Do you get any fluctuation at all?

Let me start mine and I'll post a picture of it for you.

Old 2006-02-28, 9:15am
PyronamixK

Definitely send it back.

The center is getting enough gas. Gas is what comes through the main tubes. There are no oxygen ports, just dead space where the oxygen comes up around the center tube and outer tubes. There are really no oxygen ports per se, just slots behind the five tubes and the dead space between the tubes between the tubes.

If that cone was shorter than the others, then poking out the center tube would have helped. But this cone is much longer - way too long. It is getting too much gas to it. There is a remote possibility that you could have gotten some glass down the dead space around the center jet, but the odds are low that it would look that even with glass in it. It looks like a problem with the torch, in my opinion.

The tinking noise is most likely caused from metal expanding. That is caused by internal heat. Your torch should not be heating internally like that. What could be causing the internal heating is a little premixing going on. Has it ever popped loudly and shut off the flame when you lit it?

It is hard to tell from your picture, but what color is your barrel? From the picture it looks purplish. If it is, then that means it is taking on a lot of heat on the torch body.