Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Old 2006-03-09, 7:45pm

Default New Torch Hook up Questions

OK this maybe stupid but here go's. I am getting a new torch and I will have DH run a natural gas line to my studio in basement. And I will get an oxy con. But I have not Idea how to hook this torch up and if I need regulators or what I need besides the hoses. Are there special hose ends and attachments I will need or will the hoses hook right to the torch, oxy con and natural gas line? ( I am assuming my hubby will put a 2 shut off valve set up for protections and some sort of adaptor on the end of the black pipe line. He is a plumber and knows that part and what is code. But once he gets the line to me I will have all the componets but not sure how to hook up and what the proper turn on and off of the gas are. Not sure either if torch will come with directions on how to use and adjust fuel and oxy for flame. I have only used a hothead and mapp gas small tanks(hand size, by the way very annoying). Please Help I can't wait to get started on the new hotter and endless supply of gas. No more rushing before gas runs out. Hurray/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Michelle
aka Mommawoodsy

Old 2006-03-09, 8:16pm
boro color bender

If it's a Betta you are getting, it will hook up to welding hoses. The torch has hose barbs on it, so any ends that come on the hose, just get cut off. Don't forget the hose clamps. Your hubby will know what those are. They will keep the hose on the barbs and keep it from leaking. The hoses are cheapest to get at your local welding shop.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-09, 8:31pm

Thank you!!! Will I need regulators?

Michelle
aka Mommawoodsy

Old 2006-03-09, 8:43pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommawoodsy
Thank you!!! Will I need regulators?
You won't need an oxygen regulator if you're running a concentrator. If your NG is at household pressure, it is already being regulated and you won't need one for your torch. Now, if your pressures are getting up to the 10 psi range, then you should get one. Ask your gas company what your pressure is. Oh, and make sure that you have a shut off valve.
Old 2006-03-10, 6:52am

Thanks Kim, ok nope not over 5 my hubby said. That is good so no regulators needed. Just one oxy con and some hoses now and the adaptors to hook them up. Also how do you turn on the fuel and oxy. Do you do one before the other and do you light it before adding the 2nd one? I am a little nervous I have never use anything beside my hot head and a small mapp gas tank that screwed right to the bottom of it.

Michelle
aka Mommawoodsy

Old 2006-03-10, 7:06am
odd lot addict

With an oxy concentrator, turn on your oxy at the torch, turn on your oxy concentrator . . .turn your oxy off at at the torch while you turn on your gas & light it and then turn the oxy back on and adjust your flame.

While your oxy con is running, make sure to keep your oxy knob open except just for a few seconds to light your torch and to turn off the gas at the torch.

Clear as mud?

Old 2006-03-10, 9:12am
Gentleman of Leisure

Try to achieve a flame that looks similar to picture below. See the tiny yellow tops on the "candles"?. This is pretty much a neutral flame. This is the type of flame where you will do most work.... With oxy con you will probably run torch oxygen valve full open and have to adjust with fuel knob to achieve proper flame.

Apologies to whom ever picture belongs to. I would like to give credit to picture owner,
but I do not have any idea who that person may be. Sorry.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-03-10, 12:21pm

wow thanks everyone that will help alot.

Michelle
aka Mommawoodsy

Old 2006-03-14, 4:37pm
odd lot addict

My apologies for hijacking your thread, but Dale, do you really work that close to the candles? I work about 4-6 inches out from the candles and wonder if I've been doing it wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
Try to achieve a flame that looks similar to picture below. See the tiny yellow tops on the "candles"?. This is pretty much a neutral flame. This is the type of flame where you will do most work.... With oxy con you will probably run torch oxygen valve full open and have to adjust with fuel knob to achieve proper flame.

Apologies to whom ever picture belongs to. I would like to give credit to picture owner,
but I do not have any idea who that person may be. Sorry.

Dale

Old 2006-03-14, 5:37pm
PyronamixK

That's not Dale. See the note beneath it.

PS To answer your question, 4-6" is usually a little too far out, unless you're working opalinos and boily glass. The sweet spot is typically about 3" or so out. A lot depends on how fast you work, too. The slower you are, the farther out you will want to be so you don't boil the glass. If you are working 4-6" from the candles, and it is working for you, then there's no need to change. The closer you move in, the hotter it will be, and the faster you will need to work.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2006-03-14 at 5:47pm.
Old 2006-03-14, 5:44pm
odd lot addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
That's not Dale. See the note beneath it.
I know.

Let me re-phrase. Are you supposed to work that close to the candles?

Old 2006-03-14, 8:20pm
PyronamixK

It looks like I was posting my PS when you posted. I will add that when working boro, you can work that close to the candles.
Old 2006-03-14, 8:56pm
odd lot addict

Thanks Kimberly!

Old 2006-04-20, 3:31pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Do you need a flashback arrestor for NG?
Old 2006-04-23, 9:26am
PyronamixK

If you would have one for your propane, you should have one on your NG. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

A while back (not too long ago, actually), I would have said that, hey, with a surface mix burner, you really don't need flashbak arrestors. But now, after hearing so many reports of popping torches on this forum (indicating premixing - which can lead to a flashback), I would have to say that there may be a need, afterall. Better safe than sorry. They are not expensive and the peace of mind is worth it.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2006-04-23 at 7:14pm.