Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2011-03-09, 12:39am
Mary Lockwood

Default Sea Turtles Bead and Pendant Tutorial

Sample pages 1,2 and 7 and the materials list:
http://www.marylockwood.com/seaturtletutorialsample.pdf

You can click here to purchase in my shop!

Your quintessential guide to sea turtles!

Over the course of 23 pages and 120+ images, I explain in complete detail how to make two different sea turtle beads on mandrels, and two variations of offhand sea turtle pendants, including the tide pool sea turtles! Images in the listing are examples of what can be made following my tutorial--your colors may vary.

This tutorial will grow with you and no matter what skill level you are, you will find something valuable here. You will learn important skills to apply to all your sculptural work, not just turtles.

1. Basic mandrel-built sea turtle
2. Mandrel-built sea turtle with offhand components (if you've never tried offhand work this is a GREAT introduction)
3. Offhand sea turtle pendant
4. Offhand sea turtle 'tide pool' variation

*Special segments on forming loops for offhand work.
*How to use punties
*Making proper joins in hot glass.
*No special tools or glass needed.

This is a big one!

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy it.
~~Mary
marylockwood.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2013-02-05 at 10:30am.
Old 2011-03-09, 1:04am
Whooooo, me?

Looks fabulous, Mary!

Old 2011-03-09, 2:35am

Mary is the tidepool one the one in the top photo? Does it show how to do all the nifty little sea things going on inside it?
Old 2011-03-09, 4:03am

Oh wow, just ordered mine, thanks Mary.

Val

Old 2011-03-09, 5:37am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

HooRay!!!!!! I am LOVING these turtles!!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-03-09, 5:48am
Mary Lockwood

Hi Donna!

It doesn't show murrini construction, but it shows you how to apply and insert all that stuff. You would have to either make or purchase the ocean themed murrini to put inside, but it does explain how to get it all in there. It also shows how to get the goldstone pebbles on the bottom, and the sandy ocean floor.

This tutorial is the biggest one yet and adding a murrini section would have made it huge and more expensive. Also, there are murrini tutorials out there already and I didn't want to step on toes. If you have my jellyfish tutorial and/or my canes tutorial there are instructions in those for some of the pieces you see inside the tide pool turtles.

Thanks for the great question!
~~Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmountainglass View Post
Mary is the tidepool one the one in the top photo? Does it show how to do all the nifty little sea things going on inside it?

Old 2011-03-09, 5:50am
Mary Lockwood

Beth, Val and Joan--thanks!

This tutorial is packed full of info and I hope you are happy with it.

I love turtles!
~~Mary

Old 2011-03-09, 8:33am
Born Facing Left

It looks wonderful Mary!! Little turtles filled with treasures....awesome!!

Old 2011-03-09, 8:44am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
It looks wonderful Mary!! Little turtles filled with treasures....awesome!!
Ditto. Why haven't I seen these before? They're fabulous!

Old 2011-03-09, 9:23am

Oooooooh,My fave turtles.I will put this on my list of next purchases.
I love the last turtle too.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2011-03-09, 9:36am
Redbearmountain

OMG Mary these turtles ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Just totally awesome. I really don't do sculpture work but haven't tried much either. This is probably way above my skill level. But these turtles are gorgeous! So glad you shared with the glass world, I am sure lots of people who do sculpture work will snatch this tut right up! Niya

Old 2011-03-09, 10:20am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks you guys!

Sherry- these are my new favorite things to make. I've been going crazy over here.

Thanks, Amy! There are just so many variations and possibilities. I stick jellyfish in them and everything. Fun. I've only posted a couple pictures so it's not surprising you hadn't seen them before. I'll post more I promise. Now that the tutorial is finished I have my life back. LOL

Karen, I can't wait to see what you do with these. Thanks!

Niya- you are so sweet. Thank you!!

I organized this tutorial to kinda ramp up with people.

The first bead is a 'confident beginner' level bead. (If you can make a round bead with nice holes and can pull twisties you should be able to make this bead.)

The second mandrel built bead is a spin off from the first and might be some peoples' first foray into offhand work. It's like one bump up from beginner. (If you can make a barrel shaped bead with nice holes and can make simple starburst murrini you should be able to make this bead.)

The third piece is intermediate in that it is entirely offhand. If you are used to offhand work, it would be beginner. (If you can do simple sculptural work and encase you will be able to do this bead.)

The last piece is more challenging but would still be considered intermediate. It is all offhand and you need good heat control to do it. Other than the heat control there is nothing tricky about it. It is simple movements repeated over and over again. LOL (If you can encase and do simple sculptural work you should be able to make this bead.)

Hope that helps you decide on whether this tutorial is for you.

I just know that when I started sticking my nose into offhand work many many doors opened up for me that were really difficult on a mandrel. You don't have to make these turtles offhand. I show you how to make them on a mandrel but to make tiny pieces offhand to add to them. It ramps up the detail of the beads but still gives you the handle we all like to have.

Hopefully this tutorial will help open doors for people.
~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2011-03-09 at 10:31am.
Old 2011-03-09, 10:41am
I speak Murrini!

Holy Moly! These are gorgeous Mary! I just love the detail and everything about them!!!!

All my best to you...I'm sure everyone will be THRILLED that you've shared your knowledge and creative abilities in this Tutorial!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-09, 10:59am
novembersfyre everywhere

Ordered my copy! Thank you so much for doing this! I've been admiring your sea turtles in the gallery

Old 2011-03-09, 2:14pm
Unmedicated since '62

ugh! how could you do this to me?!! i promised myself no more tutorials this month

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-03-09, 3:51pm

Thanks Mary! Off to your website.
Old 2011-03-09, 4:01pm

I don't have your Jellyfish tutorial but would really like to get it and the turtle but the jelly is not on your etsy. Can you let me know if your going to be putting any back up for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hi Donna!

It doesn't show murrini construction, but it shows you how to apply and insert all that stuff. You would have to either make or purchase the ocean themed murrini to put inside, but it does explain how to get it all in there. It also shows how to get the goldstone pebbles on the bottom, and the sandy ocean floor.

This tutorial is the biggest one yet and adding a murrini section would have made it huge and more expensive. Also, there are murrini tutorials out there already and I didn't want to step on toes. If you have my jellyfish tutorial and/or my canes tutorial there are instructions in those for some of the pieces you see inside the tide pool turtles.

Thanks for the great question!
~~Mary
Old 2011-03-09, 6:57pm

ME TOO! ME TOO!!

Looking forward to the new tut - thanks for doing it!
Old 2011-03-09, 11:07pm

Wow Mary! I can't wait to try this tut. My daughter and I were admiring your turtles you posted in the Gallery and I was shocked to see you make a tutorial of them! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can't wait till I tell my daughter! YEAH!!! Off to your ETSY to order one now.
Mary T

Love like you never have been hurt.
Old 2011-03-09, 11:49pm

Put in my order and I'm dreaming (of a weekend) of blue turtles!

Thanks Mary!!!
Old 2011-03-10, 4:58am
Mary Lockwood

Hi De! Thank you...I hope so too!

Mary Beth, have fun with it and thanks!!

Deb, it is my master plot to thwart all your best intentions. LOL Thank you!

Donna...thanks! I had no idea my jellyfish sold out. I've been so engrossed in the turtles I missed it. I filled them back up this morning into my etsy shop. Thanks for letting me know and sorry for the inconvenience!

Vicki--thank you!! I emailed your tutorial to your etsy email and will ship your bead today. Hugs.

Mary T--thanks for picking up a copy. Hope you show your results. I'm having such a good time making them I wanted other people to make them too. Don't be shocked I always tell everything. I'm a blabber. LOL

Blue turtles----awesome!! Thank you, too!

~~Mary

Old 2011-03-10, 7:25am

Thanks Mary, just got mine.
Old 2011-03-10, 7:14pm
k Grace Richard Designs

Just bought it......looking forward to getting it! Thank you!
Old 2011-03-11, 4:57pm
Melting

I just bought it as well - I LOVE this Mary!! I have your jellyfish and your canes tutorials and they are my favorites! I can't wait to get this one.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-03-13, 7:03am
thecoralcat

I got to play with mine yesterday!! Lots of fun!!! I did an off mandrel one and a regular bead one. The off mandrel is made from Striking Color Andromeda and I also got to practice inserting some implosions into their shell!! Great Tutorial Mary - here are my first attempts... Sorry about the big pics - I don't know what's changed on my photo thing - will have to have DH take a look at it.....
Attached Images

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2011-03-13, 8:39pm
Mary Lockwood

Grace, thank you and I hope you have fun making turtles!

Theresa, thanks to you too and I'm looking forward to you showing off what you make!

Joan---Yay! You're the first one to share results. I love that you stretched out and added the raised dots on the shell and shook it up a bit. Fantastic. Which did you like to make better, the offhand or the mandrel? Hope you have as many hours of torch time making turtles as I've had. Thanks for sharing!

~~Mary

Old 2011-03-14, 3:46am
thecoralcat

Thanks, Mary!!! Actually, I enjoyed making the off-mandrel one better - the way you explained it, it was surprisingly easy! I actually found it harder to work around the mandrel when making the head and tail on the green one. I thought that it would be difficult to put the implosion in off mandrel too - but it wasn't. It was interesting to see how the heat in the bead behaved so differently off mandrel- this will really help me too as I'm studying Drew Fritts book on making marbles now and those principles will come into play there! You really did a fantastic job on this tutorial - super fun and informative!!!! Thanks, Mary!!! PS - I also really loved the many ways to make a loop attachment that you explained - I had always thought I couldn't do that as I didn't have a graphite rod - you made it really easy!!

NEW TUTORIAL!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2011-03-14 at 3:57am.
Old 2011-03-14, 4:42am
Melting

I tried this yesterday. First I tried off mandrel but was not successful. When I work off mandrel I work much better using a clean mandrel as a punty, so I am going to give it a shot doing that next time and I think it will work better for for me. To each her own, right?

I decided to give the "mandrel-built sea turtle with offhand components" a shot next. It was a piece of cake. Here is my Turtle Dude. I'm pretty happy!

I can't wait until next weekend. I just LOVE turtles! I want to try what I mentioned above and also make some more like this guy. I'm looking forward to making the last version as well. The tutorial is SO easy to understand and remember. I read through it once and was able to go out and make this one with no problems. I highly recommend it!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-03-14, 7:55am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
Thanks, Mary!!! Actually, I enjoyed making the off-mandrel one better - the way you explained it, it was surprisingly easy! I actually found it harder to work around the mandrel when making the head and tail on the green one. I thought that it would be difficult to put the implosion in off mandrel too - but it wasn't. It was interesting to see how the heat in the bead behaved so differently off mandrel- this will really help me too as I'm studying Drew Fritts book on making marbles now and those principles will come into play there! You really did a fantastic job on this tutorial - super fun and informative!!!! Thanks, Mary!!! PS - I also really loved the many ways to make a loop attachment that you explained - I had always thought I couldn't do that as I didn't have a graphite rod - you made it really easy!!
Thanks Joan!!

I know that the way I explain offhand work isn't always the same as everyone else does it, but I try to make it as foolproof for beginners as possible. The way I describe pulling canes or jellyfish as well, is kinda different. It's not always the most efficient way, or the way a glass master would do it, but it is a more foolproof way. People seem to adapt things to what they like eventually, but some beginners luck is good for morale!

I'm glad the section on loops was helpful. As it is stated in the tutorial, I think that the dreaded LOOP is responsible for a lot of people not trying offhand work. If you can make loops easier, more people will branch out. At least that is my theory. There are many more ways to do loops than the 3 I put in the tutorial, but those seemed like the ones that someone new to offhand work would have the most success with so that is why I chose those.

Marbles? How exciting. I've only made a couple and they weren't perfectly round because I didn't have a mold, but they were immensely fun! Practice your punties! All the punties in my tutorial were hot seals because again, I thought that for what I was teaching they were the most fool proof...but for marbles you need to be good at cold seals so practice those lots.

Best of luck and thanks SO much for sharing your results. You did great.

~~Mary

Old 2011-03-14, 7:59am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
I tried this yesterday. First I tried off mandrel but was not successful. When I work off mandrel I work much better using a clean mandrel as a punty, so I am going to give it a shot doing that next time and I think it will work better for for me. To each her own, right?

I decided to give the "mandrel-built sea turtle with offhand components" a shot next. It was a piece of cake. Here is my Turtle Dude. I'm pretty happy!

I can't wait until next weekend. I just LOVE turtles! I want to try what I mentioned above and also make some more like this guy. I'm looking forward to making the last version as well. The tutorial is SO easy to understand and remember. I read through it once and was able to go out and make this one with no problems. I highly recommend it!

Theresa!! Yay!! That is a great turtle! Love it.

Yes, offhand work is a trial by fire, no doubt. LOL It takes really good heat control to use a thin glass rod as a punty when you aren't used to it and by all means--if you are more comfortable using a mandrel, go for it. I use mandrels as punties when I pull canes so I know exactly why you like them. Whatever it takes to give you the success you want--I'm all for it.

Anyway...you did a great job and most importantly you had fun doing it. Love to hear that.

Be sure to let us see the next ones.
~~Mary