Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-06-09, 3:08pm

Default Fireworks torch died

My Fireworks torch died. First the auto lighter died the other day and now when I turn the gas on and try to light it with a match it just blows out the match. I don't understand why it will not light when gas is coming out of it. I even changed out tanks. Does it need to be cleaned or is it just crap.

I went down to Lowes and bought a Bernzomatic ts8000. It came with a Mapp
gas bottle. Seems to work fine. But I would like to get the other one working.
Old 2013-06-09, 3:48pm
Slogan Challenged...

General opinion is that they are just crap. The torch might be turned up too high when you are lighting, try turning it down and putting the match a little under where the flame would be. You could try cleaning it and make sure to check for leaks also.

FYI: I worked with a similar torch for the first few months before I invested in a hot head. OMG....night and day. I took off in leaps and bounds after that. If you are going to stay with single fuel, you might want to consider that. It will last a lot longer.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2013-06-09, 4:12pm
Senior Moment

Yep. It's crap. I started on one too. And what Kristin said; if you're staying single fuel for a while, def get a Hothead. It's a world of difference.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-06-09, 4:16pm

I thought you guys might say something like that
Old 2013-06-09, 4:23pm
Slogan Challenged...

Well, something to bear in mind. I think most of us started on one. If you can get it working for you that's good too!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-06-09, 4:29pm
I fart diamonds

Get a HotHead or a Mag Torch MT245. Devardi sells the Mags for $14.99 (www.devardiglass.com). I have one that I bought a few years ago at Menard's and it works (and looks) just like a Hot Head.

Old 2013-06-09, 4:43pm
Senior Moment

LOL You know us too well Pug. I think you'll be pleased at the difference between a HH and the Fireworks torch. I also have the Devardi version. IMHO it's not quite as good as the HH (and I cannot explain why, but it's flame is more fuel rich), but it certainly works and I use it as my back up!

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-06-09, 5:28pm
one day at a time

Don't feel bad, my Fireworks torch lasted only 4 months before I got the Hothead. After the first two months the igniter went out, but I continued to use it until it gradually died over the next two months.
Old 2013-06-09, 6:50pm

Ditto what everyone said.........I have never, ever heard of any Fireworks product having rave reviews! It's worse than cheap!

Barbara
Old 2013-06-09, 6:58pm
one day at a time

That brand of torch (Fireworks) has been crap for at least the last 11 years that I know of, so I don't understand why they haven't improved their product by now. Aren't they about $45 to buy new??
Old 2013-06-09, 9:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
LOL You know us too well Pug. I think you'll be pleased at the difference between a HH and the Fireworks torch. I also have the Devardi version. IMHO it's not quite as good as the HH (and I cannot explain why, but it's flame is more fuel rich), but it certainly works and I use it as my back up!

Alli
I know that a particular person is going to post and say I don't know what I'm talking about, but I have disassembled the HH style torches, and the major difference is that the official HH has a mesh filter attached to the orifice plate and the MagTorch version does not. Another difference is that the orfice of the official HH is recessed and the MagTorch version is not. AutoZone used to sell the MagTorch for $9.99. It is possible to convert the MagTorch to the official HH by purchasing the orifice plate from Cindy Jenkins (the Hothead Source. I haven't looked into this in a while, so that might not be exactly correct, but I'm not going to look it up.); however, it is probably more than most people are willing to spend, since most people don't notice a difference anyway. There may still be pictures somewhere on LE if you do a search, but due to the response by a respected LE member, I am no longer testing the HH.
Old 2013-06-10, 3:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
That brand of torch (Fireworks) has been crap for at least the last 11 years that I know of, so I don't understand why they haven't improved their product by now. Aren't they about $45 to buy new??
I bought it with a kit, so not sure on the price of the torch.
Old 2013-06-10, 3:46am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I think we all have the same experience - the Fireworks kit gets a lot of us started, simply because you can buy one from conventional sources. You aren't going to stumble over a Hothead in a Hobby Lobby or on Amazon, where the Fireworks kit is out there in it's friendly looking box readily accessible.

I think I managed to use mine for maybe 2 months before I bought a Hothead. I'm still grateful to it for getting me started - DH bought it off my Amazon wish list as a Christmas gift, he would NOT have gone out to one of the glass supply sites and ordered me a Hothead kit, purely because it seems more complicated.

Plus when you're new to the torch and still afraid of lighting it, that igniter on the Fireworks torch sounds like a really good thing. And if it only worked for more than a few days, it would be!

L-111

Old 2013-06-10, 6:42am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Anza Art Glass Club View Post
I know that a particular person is going to post and say I don't know what I'm talking about, but I have disassembled the HH style torches, and the major difference is that the official HH has a mesh filter attached to the orifice plate and the MagTorch version does not. Another difference is that the orfice of the official HH is recessed and the MagTorch version is not. AutoZone used to sell the MagTorch for $9.99. It is possible to convert the MagTorch to the official HH by purchasing the orifice plate from Cindy Jenkins (the Hothead Source. I haven't looked into this in a while, so that might not be exactly correct, but I'm not going to look it up.); however, it is probably more than most people are willing to spend, since most people don't notice a difference anyway. There may still be pictures somewhere on LE if you do a search, but due to the response by a respected LE member, I am no longer testing the HH.
And YES you do know what you are talking about, you just have your facts about 2% shy of being 100% correct....

Only difference in the torches is early Hot Heads and Mag Torches had the orifice...With later (present) Hot Heads and Mag Torches designs the orifice design was dropped and replaced by the mesh screen.... It's just a change in manufacturing process that Magna industries did.... All Cindy Jenkins ever did was get torches from Magna Industries and rebrand them under her own product name...

The only real difference is the early HotHeads (with orifice) were more responsive to adjustment of fuel control knob than later Hotheads with mesh screen ...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-06-10 at 6:48am.
Old 2013-08-07, 12:50am

This has been a very helpful discussion on beginner set up variety. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.