Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-02-19, 9:38am
Sheila

Default Do I need a 'Cuda?

I've currently got a Pirahna and an M10 oxy con. It's definately enough for what I'm doing now, but I often wonder what I could do if I had a little more torch.

I work really small, and lately I make mostly organic focals that average around 2" long. I imagine they will grow, but I'm really not a big bead person. I'm interested in making small vessels (I'd love to take a class from Tink!). I have no interest in boro, and I doubt I'll ever go there.

If I upgrade, I think what I'd want is something that I can use like the Pirahna, but with a wider flame option if I want to make something bigger.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a 'Cuda, since I love my Pirahna and it seems like the most logical next step. However, I really don't want to deal with tanked oxygen. How well would it work on two M10s? Can I hook one up to the center flame and one to the outer?

Now's the time to do it, so what do you 'Cuda owners think? Should I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-20, 8:40am
dances with ideas...

Hi Sheila,
I don't own a Cuda, but have been and still am interested in getting one. I've seen one run on an OG20, which might be similar to two M10s. The very experienced person who demo'd for me estimated that the torch was running at about 85%. If you want to use two different O2 supplies, you would have to buy the adaptor. Hope this helps a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-05, 2:24pm
Skeptical Optimist

Talking

The 'Cuda is a great torch, capable of supplying all the power you should need for soft glass, and I love it for my boro. Very configurable torch with an inner and outer fire, and works great on a Hurricane from Unlimited Oxygen. The inner fire is the Piranha, and I use that by itself for boro beads and attaching bails or doing detail work on sculpture. Good luck!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-03-05, 2:28pm

I need one there is little doubt in my mind. Unfortunately I believe I read they are no longer taking orders for them.
Old 2007-03-05, 3:05pm
ManBearPig

I would highly recommend a Knight Bullet Burner over a Barracuda. Hotter flame and cheaper (especially since Bethlehem raised the price of Barracudas about $125 from what most people were selling them for - they are close to $900 now!!!).

The Knight would still be a better torch if the prices were the same.

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-05, 6:00pm

If you do want a Barracuda, check with Kristian at Generations Glass. I just bought a "backup" Cuda for $695.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2007-03-07, 1:16pm

I have been running my 'Cuda hard for the last couple of years and it has been great. I have no complaints about the torch at all. I bought mine from Generations Glass with a graphite marver. The 'Cuda is a keeper for me. I have just added a GTT Mirage to my studio and it is smokin' hot but it was @$1k more so you do get what you pay for.

I have never used a Knight torch so I can't comment on that. It does bug me that they don't have a website. I guess I feel that a decent manufacturer's website is a requirement for me these days.
Old 2007-03-07, 1:51pm
Skeptical Optimist

Talking

Having a separate inner and outer fire is fantastic. I'm looking to get a Mirage after AGI in August, I just wanna try it first to make sure it'll be a big enough upgrade instead of a Delta Elite. Gotta go big! But for soft glass a Barracuda is plenty of torch, I do my boro beads on the inner fire alone most of the time unless they are very large or I'm in a hurry. Good luck, whatever you get.

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-03-07, 2:22pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCat View Post
I have never used a Knight torch so I can't comment on that. It does bug me that they don't have a website. I guess I feel that a decent manufacturer's website is a requirement for me these days.
A site like this?

www.nmknight.com

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-07, 2:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
A site like this?

www.nmknight.com
OK, but I still don't see the Knight Bullet Burner listed.
Old 2007-03-07, 3:08pm
ManBearPig

No, I don't see it either. It was on there at one time, before the industrial and artistic divisions merged. I guess they are too busy making torches to update their site. I have a PDF of it somewhere on one of my computers...

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-07, 3:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
No, I don't see it either. It was on there at one time, before the industrial and artistic divisions merged. I guess they are too busy making torches to update their site. I have a PDF of it somewhere on one of my computers...
That's cool. I'm sure it is a great torch. With a HotHead, Minor, Barracuda and now a Mirage, I think I got all the torches I need.... Well, maybe I could use a Little Torch then I'd be done... Yeah sure!

If I am ever around a Bullet I will check it out. I love the tools almost as much as the glass.

~R
Old 2007-03-07, 3:50pm
boro color bender

The Bullet uses more oxy. I didn't really find it hotter, but I may not have learned to dial in it's best flame. It's a good torch and it's built like a brick! Definitely will outlast any of us. I much prefer the Cuda, but that's just my opinion. I used a Bullet for several weeks. Steve Selchow swears by 'em.

I have one brand new Cuda left for $675... free shipping to the US.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-03-08, 6:44am
ManBearPig

Brent,

Did you use the Bullet on tanked oxygen or concentrator(s)? It does use more oxygen, but the flame is hotter, so I think it works out even. Obviously the hotter the flame, the more oxygen a torch is going to use.

For hollow work, I don't see a big advantage in the Bullet vs. the Barracuda, but I did find that on solid work there was a noticeable difference. I can shape marbles a lot faster on the Bullet than I could on a Barracuda. In fact, I believe it's hotter than my Tiger Shark was. The heat seems like it penetrates the glass better than the heat from a Bethlehem. Bethlehem torches seem to heat the surface of the glass first, and then start heating the inside. The Bullet seems like the heat goes straight to the middle of the glass and gets it softer much faster. I'm not going to trade my CC for a Bullet, but I am seriously considering changing over to one of the larger Knight torches when I have the money. All of the torches were on tanked oxygen.

Of course, my experience was running both torches wide open. Running just the center flames or running a smaller outer flame there may not be as much of a difference.

•
•
•

Last edited by Cosmo; 2007-03-08 at 6:46am.
Old 2007-03-08, 8:02am
boro color bender

I was on tanks at the time. Like I said, it's a good torch. I just found myself using about the same amount of oxy as my Mirage and my Mirage was a much bigger flame. I may take another look at it. I trust your judgement.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley