Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-02-19, 11:57am

Default Bethlehem No Longer Making Torches....

Due to Bethlehem's recent decision to stop making their torches I felt I should make my stand public.

We at Generations Glass have used Bethlehem torches for a number of years. They have always been great torches and very reliable.

I have never claimed they are "THE BEST" torches but do feel that they are one of the best. Different torches have different characteristics and like many different torches for this reason.

We will continue to carry Bethlehem torches for as long as we are able to get them. Bethlehem will still honor their warranty on all of their torches.
Old 2007-02-19, 12:11pm
one day at a time

Wow, I didn't have a clue! Why??! Is there any info out there about this? I'd like to know what could have made this company make such a drastic decision.
Old 2007-02-19, 12:16pm

Kristian, I love the Piranha you sold me 2 years ago along with GREAT customer service. Now I'm really glad to have it.
Old 2007-02-19, 12:20pm
Fight glass with FIRE

The whole torch thing probably ended up being from the whole price battle that started when Cosmo was told to up his prices and he decided to drop the bethlehem line and it made a lot of talk. I've never used a beth and don't doubt that they are great torches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2007-02-19, 12:30pm
ManBearPig

I don't think for a second that I had anything to do with them stopping production (although, in my head, I'd love to think that I had that kind of power). After talking to a friend who works closely with Bethlehem, but not an employee, I heard that what I went through was just the tip of the iceberg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-02-19, 1:43pm

I don't think for a second Cosmo had anything to do with it either. Beth has been making torches for 50 years, as a side line type thing. It was never their focus. I am sad to see them stop. They make a very good torch. I have two of them. I imagine that it is not the most lucrative business to be in as a sideline and requires more the focus given to it by other torch companies.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2007-02-19, 1:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Oh yeah, it's all Cosmo's fault

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-02-19, 1:52pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Oh yeah, it's all Cosmo's fault
You must have been talking to my girlfriend...

Old 2007-02-19, 5:19pm
Temptress

Wow! Cosmo's even more powerful than I thought
Old 2007-02-21, 12:58pm
<--- Time traveler

I saw a post on The GLDG indicating they had reversed their decision:

http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showpos...9&postcount=53
Old 2007-02-21, 1:00pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Yep. The front page is back to normal again. Yay!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-02-21, 1:15pm
Safety ALWAYS

Welllll...don't get your hopes up just yet. What *has* happened is that all the distributors have been cut off -- no more torches will be available to distributors after orders placed prior to 2/13/2007 are filled.

After those torches are gone, if you want a beth, you will have to go direct to the factory.

Actually, I'm wondering if this wasn't all some great big kerfuffle to push the distributors out of the picture. Now, Beth can sell direct, get more $$ per torch, and not have to deal with any price-fixing issues in the distribution network.

Like I posted over on GLDG -- crazy like a fox...

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-21, 1:16pm

...yep, its true

Good News!!!!

We were just told by the owner that due to the overwhelming response to our announcement, we will
continue to manufacture burners.

Thank for your interest and concern,

Paula Martinko
Bethlehem Apparatus Co., Inc.
(610) 838-7034 Phone
(610) 838-6333 Fax
pmartinko@bethapp.com
Old 2007-02-21, 1:21pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
Welllll...don't get your hopes up just yet. What *has* happened is that all the distributors have been cut off -- no more torches will be available to distributors after orders placed prior to 2/13/2007 are filled.

After those torches are gone, if you want a beth, you will have to go direct to the factory.

Actually, I'm wondering if this wasn't all some great big kerfuffle to push the distributors out of the picture. Now, Beth can sell direct, get more $$ per torch, and not have to deal with any price-fixing issues in the distribution network.

Like I posted over on GLDG -- crazy like a fox...
Well that wouldn't be very bright, would it? I mean, IMO of course, distributors are the backbone of their bottom line. Cutting out the distributors would be a huge case of "penny wise and pound foolish".

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-02-21, 1:33pm
Safety ALWAYS

mmmmmmmmmm......well, let's see here, <just thinking aloud>

Corporation board of directors votes to discontinue product line.
President writes and posts letter discussing same on home page of company.
Certain employees of the company now say that no one knows what is going to happen to the product line, but they are starting a list of people who want them to keep on making torches.

I don't see very bright people here....and then of course there is the price fixing issue from several months ago.......no, I'm fairly certain that Bethlehem does not employ bright people.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-21, 1:34pm
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phab View Post
...yep, its true

Good News!!!!

We were just told by the owner that due to the overwhelming response to our announcement, we will
continue to manufacture burners.

Thank for your interest and concern,

Paula Martinko
Bethlehem Apparatus Co., Inc.
(610) 838-7034 Phone
(610) 838-6333 Fax
pmartinko@bethapp.com
ROFLMAO -- now, will they be keeping the distribution network intact. That's the question I'm interested in seeing answered......

Old 2007-02-21, 1:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
ROFLMAO -- now, will they be keeping the distribution network intact. That's the question I'm interested in seeing answered......
...im thinking that they will keep the distributors stocked with product. i dont think there is any advantage to be the sole distributor unless they want to keep it small, real small.
Old 2007-02-21, 2:14pm
Safety ALWAYS

I disagree. They can sell as many torches as they make and get to keep *all* the money that way, plus there won't be a hassle with pricing.

Old 2007-02-21, 5:04pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I sure hope the news is good!...

This was the email I got on the 19th...

Quote:

2/19/2007

Dear Dale,

As of today, Bethlehem is planning on discontinuing torch manufacturing at
the end of the year. We will have them available on line or by calling
Bethlehem Apparatus Co., Inc. at 610-838-7034. They will be sold at our
list price and no discounts available. The message on the website was
accurate and we removed it this morning intentionally. If I can assist
further, please advise.

Jerry C. Odenwelder, Ph.D.
Technical Sales Manager
Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-21, 5:17pm
In search of her path....

I talked to my wholesaler yesterday and they are a pretty large wholesaler, as far as through them what they have on hand is it and they will not be filling any more orders or getting any more so I dont think the distributorships will be intact.
Quote:
...im thinking that they will keep the distributors stocked with product. i dont think there is any advantage to be the sole distributor unless they want to keep it small, real small.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-02-21, 6:29pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
I talked to my wholesaler yesterday and they are a pretty large wholesaler, as far as through them what they have on hand is it and they will not be filling any more orders or getting any more so I dont think the distributorships will be intact.
Don't know if you use the same wholesaler as I do, but I was told the same thing by mine.

Old 2007-02-21, 6:52pm
boro color bender

I'd be happy if they made the torches and sold them through their website. I have made money off the torch line, but more than that, I want people to still be able to get these torches. I don't care if I'm in the loop. They are good torches and lampworkers bennefit from having them available.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-02-21, 7:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I'd be happy if they made the torches and sold them through their website. I have made money off the torch line, but more than that, I want people to still be able to get these torches. I don't care if I'm in the loop. They are good torches and lampworkers bennefit from having them available.
I was hoping to save up money and purchase a Barracuda eventually as my next torch.
This caused a real panic in my heart that they won't be available by the time I get enough money saved.
Old 2007-02-21, 8:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
...that was what they knew yesterday. the decision to keep the burner division going just happened today according to the email i got.
whatever will be, will be, but all we can do right now is speculate. im just happy that they are going to keep at it, not because im a gung ho beth fanatic (i do own a cuda and i like it a lot) but because im a believer in american made products.
this means someone whos job was in jepordy yesterday will still have a job tomorrow.
Old 2007-02-22, 10:12am
Safety ALWAYS

It is as I suspected. And it is official now.

Bethlehem *WILL* continue to manufacture torches.

**BUT** if you want a torch from them you have to go direct to Bethlehem. They have dissolved their distribution network. None of the current distributors will receive torches beyond what they had on order prior to Feb 13, 2007.

Old 2007-02-22, 10:27am
In search of her path....

I will agree with you there...im happy the workers who are in the burner division will still have their jobs...that is a good thing indeed.
Quote:
...that was what they knew yesterday. the decision to keep the burner division going just happened today according to the email i got.
whatever will be, will be, but all we can do right now is speculate. im just happy that they are going to keep at it, not because im a gung ho beth fanatic (i do own a cuda and i like it a lot) but because im a believer in american made products.
this means someone whos job was in jepordy yesterday will still have a job tomorrow.

Prints for sale in my
!