TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-09-21, 2:38pm

Default looking for new torch

I'm in the market for a new torch. I have a bobcat now an do like it but would like to upgrade to do finer detail. I can't really spend more than $500, maybe $600 but that's tops. What are the recomendations out there? Can you show me pics of beads made with your torches? Feel free to send pics and reponses to my email aacount if that is too much for the forum...plus I hope I posted this on the correct forum.

Thanks,
Julie Els
julie@lampworkgirl.com
Old 2005-10-07, 1:54am

I think you might be able to get a redmax or a knight bullet burner.
Old 2005-10-07, 3:31am
<--- Time traveler

If you like your Bobcat, why not get a Lynx? You can get an extremely fine flame for detail work.

Courtney
Old 2005-10-07, 4:12am
boro color bender

I would suggest a Lynx or a Barracuda. What type of glass are you working? How big do you work? What kind of oxygen supply do you have? This all makes a big difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-10-07, 7:05am
<--- Time traveler

Also, I have heard good things about the Knight Bullet Burner. It fits in your budget, but I'm pretty sure you'd need tanks to run it.

Courtney
Old 2005-10-10, 4:40am

Piranha $250
Lynx $435
Knight Bullet $725
Barrcauda $750

If your interest is only in focus for detail work the Piranha has the best focus of all the surface mix torches. The center-fire of the Bullet is a minor burner, so that takes it out of the choices for you. The Lynx has good focus and a little more heat than the Piranha. Only you can decide what fits your need.
Old 2005-10-10, 5:12am
<--- Time traveler

Ron (is that right?) -

Did Nortel and Knight collaborate on the Bullet Burner, or do you mean that the center fire on the Bullet is very similar to the Minor Burner?

Courtney
Old 2005-10-10, 6:34am

I have been doing research, does anyone have a mini CC they can critique for me?
Old 2005-10-10, 7:03am
Capp'in Fool

I have a mini cc and love it! it has a fine flame for detail work and will run on 1 oxycon. I hear you can do boro on it.
Old 2005-10-10, 7:08am

The Bullet's center fire is similar to the Minor. It is actually better. The Bullet center is the same as their Little Draggon 7-port. It has a hotter flame and a little better focus. It definitely has better control than the Minor.
Old 2005-10-10, 7:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4GlassStudio
Piranha $250
Lynx $435
Knight Bullet $725
Barrcauda $750

If your interest is only in focus for detail work the Piranha has the best focus of all the surface mix torches.
What is the focus of a flame?

Also is the center fire on the Barracuda exactly the same as the Piranha?
Old 2005-10-10, 8:54am

I want to move into using boro. I'm not sure I want a lynx. I have problems with my bobcat clogging on me after 1 bead. I have talked to GTT about it and I have followed their recomendations and switched out my propane with 2 different tanks in case of dirty propane, but I still have the same problem. (not slamming GTT, I like the guys, they are very friendly, just having bad luck with my torch.) I want something that I can still do delicate work with moretti but also something that will get hot enoght to work with boro well and a wider flame so I can work on larger beads a little easier. I also will be switching to NG soon and that might help with my bobcat too. Maybe where I live is dirty propane central or something... So utlimately the torch I choose I would like to be able to run on NG and Wally (GTT) told me NG won't run a Lynx well. Carlise on thiere website said that the mini CC will run on NG. Anyone got that setup? Will NG run a Pirana or a Cuda?
Old 2005-10-10, 9:10am
PyronamixK

Julie, it isn't that the Lynx won't run on NG, it is that the Lynx needs at least 2 pounds of pressure to run. If you want to run NG at that pressure in your home without the gas company adjusting your pressure, you can use a booster. If your set-up is not in your house (say, it is in your unattached garage or a bead cottage), the gas company can come out and boost your pressure. Some places will boost it up to 5 pounds. Check with your gas company.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2005-10-10 at 9:12am.
Old 2005-10-10, 10:15am
Safety ALWAYS

Just a word of caution -- what Kim is writing is true - the natural gas company CAN boost the pressure that comes into your house, however, at the same time, they will have to put additional regulators on each gas appliance to lower the pressure back down to 1/4-1/3 PSI. This usually costs a bundle...

Another thing that can be done is to have the gas company add a 2nd line coming into the house at a higher pressure, usually 2 to 5 PSI. If this is done, it can then be plumbed directly to your workstation without interefering with any of the other appliances.

From what I remember when I last talked to my gas supplier, it was about the same price to either boost the pressure on the line and then add regs to the other appliances -or- add a 2nd line. The kicker was that the 2nd line has to have its own meter, and there are usually monthly charges for meters etc.

Even though I have NG boosters on my website, I don't always recommend them. They aren't for everyone - and they are very expensive. The smallest unit is around $1000 and that can only handle torches up to the size of a Phantom.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-10-10, 10:25am

I don't have that kind of money so lets go back to who has what torches run on NG WITHOUT boosters? I doubt the cuda will run without boostage but will the Pirhana? Does anyone have that setup or a mini CC on NG?

Thanks for all your input thus far!!!
Old 2005-10-10, 11:20am

Quote:
What is the focus of a flame?
This is how tight of a pin-point flame you can get.

Quote:
Also is the center fire on the Barracuda exactly the same as the Piranha?
Yes

Evenia, there are several torches that will run on NG. The Minor, Piranha, Mini CC, Barracuda (yes, the Barracuda will run on NG), etc.

I have seen some use the Lynx on NG (without boosting the pressure) but not with great results.

Out of the ones I have listed for working with NG, the Piranha and Barracuda will get the best focus. The Piranha's flame can range from 2mm-15mm, the Barracuda's range is 2mm-28mm
Old 2005-10-10, 11:40am

Does anyone have a Carlise Wildcat?
Old 2005-10-10, 11:48am
Surrounded by Trouble

I just bought a Piranha, Thanks to Ron Jr, when he was changing out torches in his studio.
I love the pinpoint flame, yet I am able to do the larger sculpture work I have wanted to do for a long time that my minor prevented me from doing on one oxy-con. I am running it on propane, and as stated one oxy-con, it is much HOTTER than my minor was, even when useing a tank.

Just my two cents worth from someone who has recently switched to a new torch.

Old 2005-10-10, 11:55am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenia
Does anyone have a Carlise Wildcat?
I don't own one, but I used one at BeadFest. It works really well. Has a large flame, but can put out a small pinpoint flame. Well, not really "pinpoint" but a very small flame that you can focus on one spot. I belive you'd have to run tanked oxygen with it. I don't know if it would run on one concentrator. It may run on two.

The thing I like about it is it has cooling vents around the face, and it stays cooler than most Carlisle torches.

Old 2005-10-10, 12:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generations Glass
This is how tight of a pin-point flame you can get.

Yes

Evenia, there are several torches that will run on NG. The Minor, Piranha, Mini CC, Barracuda (yes, the Barracuda will run on NG), etc.

I have seen some use the Lynx on NG (without boosting the pressure) but not with great results.

Out of the ones I have listed for working with NG, the Piranha and Barracuda will get the best focus. The Piranha's flame can range from 2mm-15mm, the Barracuda's range is 2mm-28mm

I did not know the Piranha got a better pin-point flame then the GTT Lynx.

Well Evenia,

If the Piranha gets a pin-point flame as good or better then the Lynx, then it seems your best choice is the Piranha.

Good price.
pin-point flame.
hot flame.
have not heard of this torch clogging like your Bobcat.
Old 2005-10-10, 1:02pm

It gets the best pin-point flame for those that will easily run with NG.

When working with LP it gets about the same pin-point.
Old 2005-10-10, 1:18pm
<--- Time traveler

Let me put my head out to be chopped off here: I think having a pinpoint flame is generally overrated. I have found it much more helpful to learn to use the various parts of the flame for things like stringer work, raking, etc. (Of course, there are exceptions to this.) BUT it is important to have the pinpoint flame on a GTT (like my Lynx) because I don't think there are as many "parts" of the flame. With less ambient heat, you're pretty much either in the flame or out of it; there's not as much transition.

Courtney

Last edited by cghipp; 2005-10-10 at 1:45pm.
Old 2005-10-10, 1:51pm

Wow.... everyone jumped into this one. Glad to see it! I should have worded it better when I said the Bullet had the minor as the center-fire. It is not a minor burner, but close in design. This means, it uses thick wall tubing that adds more space between the O2 and Propane leaving the torch face. That gives it less complete combustion compared to A Beth or GTT. It also spreads out the center fire taking away from the focus. Also, the Propane holes are smaller.... making them run well on low PSI, but taking away from it's max heat.
Old 2005-10-10, 2:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4GlassStudio
Wow.... everyone jumped into this one. Glad to see it! I should have worded it better when I said the Bullet had the minor as the center-fire. It is not a minor burner, but close in design. This means, it uses thick wall tubing that adds more space between the O2 and Propane leaving the torch face. That gives it less complete combustion compared to A Beth or GTT. It also spreads out the center fire taking away from the focus. Also, the Propane holes are smaller.... making them run well on low PSI, but taking away from it's max heat.
WOW,

That was a lot of great detailed information explaining the little differences in the way a torch face is made that makes the torch work differently.
Old 2005-10-10, 2:23pm

You Guys Rock!!!!!!
Old 2005-10-13, 8:45am

Default I love my Dragon Bullet!!!

It does anything I ask it to! And is quiet doing it. Doesn't get the casing as hot as others. Lewis Wilson used it for quite awhile and gave a pretty good review of this torch. His daughter used it also...

The casing is made of machine stock metal instead of cast metal which provides for a more durable product. Have had it for almost a year now and haven't had any problems.. Kimberly Affleck might even endorse it for you as she has used it several times. James Minson made one of his boro rattles (about one foot long) using it.. called it a "sweet little torch".

I use tanked oxygen and propane... I can send a review by Lewis if you pm me... thanks... good luck. Kay