Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Old 2007-03-18, 8:09pm
aka Deborah Spence

Default Two Torches on One Propane Tank?

Hello...

Can a person hook up two minor torches to one 21 gal propane tank? If the psi of the tank is around 20 then can two torches be able to operate from one tank? Or would that cause fluxuation problems?

Would appreciate any adivce.

Thanks Much!
Deborah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-18, 10:01pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Yes you can with a "Y" connector... If you have good quality (responsive) regulator one torch should not have much effect on other....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-03-18, 10:29pm
aka Deborah Spence

Hi Dale,

Thanks so much for answering my question... to clarify for me and please forgive the quick paint job image but something like this?

Thanks Again!
Deborah

Old 2007-03-18, 10:32pm
aka Deborah Spence

Looking at my image I see I didn't add the hose between the propane tank and the first hard pipe line. %-) lol

Old 2007-03-18, 10:39pm
hooked, completely!!!

you only need one regulator - on the line directly at the tank... tis will set the pressure for the rest of the system.. we run 4 torches off one tank and one regulator and never have any problem...
Old 2007-03-18, 10:44pm
aka Deborah Spence

That's great info Glassworks because what I want is to set up 4 torches but I was thinking I'd have to do two to a tank... Do you have 4 torches set up to one 21 gal tank? On average how long before you need to refill that tank?

Thanks Much!
Deborah

Old 2007-03-19, 11:39am
ManBearPig

I have all four of our Minors in our teaching studio running off the same 5 gallon propane tank. Works fine. I refill the tank once a month.

But we usually only have all four torches running at the same time on Saturdays when we have classes. The rest of the time it's usually only one or two torches running at a time.

Old 2007-03-19, 11:44am
aka Deborah Spence

Thanks Cosmo!! Great news for my new studio.

Take Care,
Deborah

Old 2007-03-20, 1:12am
hooked, completely!!!

we're the same as cosmo, and get similair use...

we don't bother to turn our torches off every time we a break either - which isn't too clever but the gas usage is minimal!

Old 2007-03-20, 8:29am
Safety ALWAYS

On your drawing, there should be a regulator on the tank -- the maximum pressure you should run through a hard line is 20 PSI, that's NFPA fire code. You may already have that -- but just in case you don't......

Additionally, I'd run 3/8" minimum hard line, and at best, 1/2" so the pressure stays as high as possible, then after the regulators, run standard 1/4" T grade line to the torches, provided your total run isn't more than about 5-8 feet. Beyond that, again run 3/8" T grade hose.

The larger inner diameter will prevent surging in the line which can occur when a torch is started up or shut down.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-20, 9:38am
aka Deborah Spence

Thanks Mike... the line diameters will be good info to give the plumber.

Deborah

Old 2007-04-04, 3:39pm
product of the universe

I use a T splitter at the tank and run multiple regulators off it, as i have various torches that run off different pressures. But for my hand torches i have a Y connecetor to split the lines since they all run off the same pressure.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2007-04-04, 4:05pm

Using a manifold I have run as many as 12 torches off one propane tank.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2007-04-04, 4:08pm
aka Deborah Spence

Wow! 12 torches!...

Since starting this thread I have purchased a manifold for the project but it is always great to get continued input as each one is helpful so thank you Chayes and Pam! Plus, it's interesting to see how different people dealt with their set up... I hope this thread is helpful to others doing the same.

Til Next Time,
Take Care,
Deborah