Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-04-28, 8:08pm

Default Oxygen concentrators on a larger torch

I'd like to move up to a Barracuda (most likely suspect right now) in about a year and am upgrading concentrators now- rather, I'm adding another concentrator. I know I can hook two and use the reserve (thanks Trey!) - I have read people mention stacking three- is there any reason not to do it this way? How would the third loop in- what would I need to set it up?

Heck- what is the upper limit if you are piling 5s instead of getting one larger system?
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------
Make Beads:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-05-03, 10:08pm
Retired to the flame

I don't know what the limit is, I have 4- 5lpm oxy-cons all wyed together running my Red-Max. I run them all at 4.5 output. They are tied together with oxy hose and brass wyes purchased at welding supply. I can run the torch to about 90% of what I get from tanked. Compared to $40 a fill for a T tank that only last 1 day.
Th only problem I have had was needing to run an extra circuit for all the oxy-cons. (we run 5 or sometimes 6 at once, 4 for me and 1 or 2 for DW)
Power bill runs around $55 a month for just the oxy-cons. compared to $600 a month for tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-05-05, 1:50pm
PyronamixK

I have seen pictures of a Barracuda running on a single 10 LPM Regalia. It gave a really nice flame - great for soft glass and small boro. 10 LPM is about half of what the torch needs to run at full capacity (according to the Beth stats).

I am getting a Barracuda soon and will be testing it with my Regalia and Integra to see what it can do. I'll post the results.
Old 2007-05-05, 7:09pm

I would be interested in the results - so please be sure to update. I'm currently on a Betta with two 5lpm concentrators and want to move up to a Barracuda or larger. I don't want to be limited to beadmaking and I'm researching the oxygen situation and don't want to move to tanked oxy. Looking forward to hearing about your results.

Old 2007-05-07, 4:16pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Jess, we run two m15's on our cuda and can tell no difference from when running tanked air.

The M15's are 15psi at 8 lpm.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2007-05-07, 5:36pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin'gal View Post
Jess, we run two m15's on our cuda and can tell no difference from when running tanked air.

The M15's are 15psi at 8 lpm.
What size/type work do you do?
Old 2007-05-21, 1:19pm
Skeptical Optimist

I'm always on here talking about my hurricane, and this is no exception
Beth Barracuda, running on a 15lpm at 20psi hurricane, pays for itself in one year for what I'm paying and using in oxy. Plus now that my hubby is using it too, we're gonna have it paid for itself by September! It puts out probably 90-95% of the barracuda's max power, and that's usually great for me for pendants, sculpture, and vases. Lookin at the Mirage though, and getting a second hurricane for it.

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-05-23, 11:08am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
What size/type work do you do?
oops I never came back!

Greg makes marbles up to just over 2 inches. Any bigger and they don't fit in the kiln door. Need a bigger kiln I think. Soft glass. He works bigger than I do. We did have a few people working boro on it and they gave great reviews as well.

We just had the opportunity to work the torch off of tanked O2 and then switched to the concentrators the next day. For what we do neither of us could see a difference.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2007-06-11, 5:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin'gal View Post
oops I never came back!

Greg makes marbles up to just over 2 inches. Any bigger and they don't fit in the kiln door. Need a bigger kiln I think. Soft glass. He works bigger than I do. We did have a few people working boro on it and they gave great reviews as well.

We just had the opportunity to work the torch off of tanked O2 and then switched to the concentrators the next day. For what we do neither of us could see a difference.
Hey Greg, hope you got your package from me in time. BTW, BEAUTIFUL marble. WOW! jack
Old 2007-06-21, 6:50am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Hey Jack!

Sorry I didn't get back here. Yep, we got the package THANKS!! Very fast!

We're on the road right now so I really haven't been able to get back to you. We are planning on setting up for a month in Louisiana next week. So I'll try and contact you then. It's all mostly good, just need a little advise.

BTW these guys are the BEST! Jack and Paul will totally take care of you. You really can't go wrong buying an Unlimited Oxygen unit.

Greg (D's husband)

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2007-06-22, 6:31am

Hi Firefreak,
Are you running the bottom torch on those 4 5lpm oxycons, or just the top?

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefreak View Post
I don't know what the limit is, I have 4- 5lpm oxy-cons all wyed together running my Red-Max. I run them all at 4.5 output. They are tied together with oxy hose and brass wyes purchased at welding supply. I can run the torch to about 90% of what I get from tanked. Compared to $40 a fill for a T tank that only last 1 day.
Th only problem I have had was needing to run an extra circuit for all the oxy-cons. (we run 5 or sometimes 6 at once, 4 for me and 1 or 2 for DW)
Power bill runs around $55 a month for just the oxy-cons. compared to $600 a month for tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-06-27, 10:06pm
Retired to the flame

Sorry I have not checked in for a while. I just got home from 60 hours straight at work. 12 off and then 36 more starting at 7 in the morning. Would someone tell me again why I wanted to be a Firefighter? LOL!!

I run both torches ( top and bottom) Everyone says you can't do it. I have been doing it for over two years. I have worked on tanked several times with the same torch. It only made one or two minutes difference per piece to use tanked. It is not worth the huge difference in cost to save a couple of min per piece.

What I work: solids up to 3 inches across. Tubing up to 50mm extra heavy wall. most common: 16 to 19 mm solid rod and 22 or 25.4 extra heavy tube.
Old 2007-07-02, 4:34pm

HHHmmmmm I upgraded to barracuda earlier in year but haven't been able to set it up. I have an M15 now and have loved it on my Piranha but wondered what to link with it to run the 'cuda - was thinking I'd need the next step up from an M15 but maybe just another one?

I need to start reading ........

thanks!

Martha
Old 2007-07-29, 12:21pm
Bead Maniac

A question ? I have an oxycon paid 750...its not enough for boro .is there any way to put bottled oxy together with a pump? or is there some where I can get a cheap oxycon ? I go thru to much oxygen tanks when doing boro so I end up working soft glass ...which gets old...heeelllllpppp...Susan

My blog.

Old 2007-07-29, 12:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefreak View Post
can we see a picture of your setup and 4 oxycons y'd together?