Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-10-30, 11:36pm

Default gtt bobcat

I am wondering if anyone who has used the gtt bobcat torch would tell me how you liked it?. Or if you have used one of the smaller torches that you did like - what you thought of it?. I am looking to buy a torch for bead work and want to avoid making a mistake on a torch that people dont like for whatever reason. Thanks
Old 2005-10-31, 5:37am
the 2 Michelle's

I have one and recently got a pirhna. Like them both, never used any other, like the pirhna better. My bobcat knobs seem to have to be slightly adjusted every so often. And I get more carbon buildup on the cat. Haven't had any on the other.

Started on a hh, so both seem quiet as a mouse, and hotter than wool socks in the summer.....in comparison.

I've used both for small boro beads and attempting an implosion. Both did the job, just a little slower than soft glass, but didn't seem as slow as my hh on sloft glass.

Hope that helps.

You say bitch like it's a bad thing.....

bead on!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-10-31, 5:55am

I have one. I like it but have the same issues as Dragonfire. If you can get someplace and try before you buy, I'd suggest that. I didn't think that was possible for the average joe, but there are more and more people out there with torches. Maybe someone in your area. Check the LE map, or the Backyard forum.

I'm not sure my propane nob is quite right. I want to get a different torch in the future. I want to do bigger work. I doubt I'll ever buy another GTT.

I've been told you can't go wrong buying a GTT because they hold their resale better than anything else. If that is true, and you can swing it, get one. Then you'll know what you want to change ~if you want to change anything. A lot of people love theirs.

Good luck.
Old 2005-10-31, 6:36am
Back from the Dark Side

Hi guys! I moved this thread to the library in the questions...you will hopefull get the information you seek!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-10-31, 6:39am
<--- Time traveler

I highly recommend the Carlisle Mini CC!

Courtney
Old 2005-10-31, 7:20am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I have one and recently got a pirhna. Like them both, never used any other, like the pirhna better. My bobcat knobs seem to have to be slightly adjusted every so often. And I get more carbon buildup on the cat. Haven't had any on the other.

Started on a hh, so both seem quiet as a mouse, and hotter than wool socks in the summer.....in comparison.

I've used both for small boro beads and attempting an implosion. Both did the job, just a little slower than soft glass, but didn't seem as slow as my hh on sloft glass.

Hope that helps.
Are you using it on propane or natural gas?

Old 2005-10-31, 7:26am
MomOnAMission

I have a bobcat and have had no problems w/my knobs. No adjusting whatsoever. As for the carbon build up... when I used propane, I had it ALL the time. Now that I am on natural gas, no build up. just my .02 cents
Old 2005-10-31, 8:04am
Safety ALWAYS

Carbon buildup on GTT's is an indication that you are running your torch on the reduction side. This usually happens with people who are using surface mix torches for the very first time after using a Hot Head or similar torch.

IMO, GTT's should hardly EVER have carbon buildup issues, and then only when running a reduction flame for a long period of time.

GTT's need a goodly amount of oxygen to operate properly - while you can use a concentrator with them, you will not be using them to their fullest potential.

Oxygen to propane should be at least 3 to 1 (oxygen psi to propane psi). This means that with a propane setting of 5 PSI, you should be running your oxygen at 15 (or better). If you are using a concentrator (at 8-9 PSI), you should be running your propane at 2 PSI (remember concentrators do not have as much pure oxygen as tanked oxygen, which causes incomplete combustion, which leads to carbon buildup so you have to compensate by dropping the propane pressure slightly). The inner cone should have a slight yellow or white tip. The total length of the inner cones should be about the same as the diameter of the rod of glass you are heating.

If the inner cone is strong yellow/white, or is yellow/white for more than 1/4 it's total length, you are running a reduction flame and will certainly begin to carbon up the ports.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-10-31, 8:05am
Who me?

I've had my Bobcat for two years and I have had no problems with it. I think it's been stated here somewhere that if you run your torch with a reduction flame consistently you will get carbon build up. I have mine hooked up with an oxy concentrator set at 4.5 lpm and I turn the oxy knob all the way open at the torch and adjust my flame with the propane. I'm running on a 100 lb bottle and it does seem to hold the flame consistent better than the 20 lb bottle did. Not that I had a lot of problem with the flame and the 20 lb bottle. I keep the regulator at 5 psi and never change it. LOVE my Bobcat.
Old 2005-10-31, 8:06am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
The total length of the inner cones should be about the same as the diameter of the rod of glass you are heating.
That's a pretty good piece of advice right there. I've never heard that before, but makes perfect sense...

Old 2005-10-31, 8:12am
the 2 Michelle's

Well just to clarify, I've been told the whole reduction flame deal before, plus possible dirty gas.....
I made sure it's not reduction and it is the size of my rods and in fact I made it oxidizing to see if that changed anything...nope still get more build-up than I should.

Yes it's bottled propane, but when I switch over to my pirhanna, no problem, no build-up and my flame looks exactly the same, on the same bottle of propane.

bead on!!

Old 2005-10-31, 8:36am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Well just to clarify, I've been told the whole reduction flame deal before, plus possible dirty gas.....
I made sure it's not reduction and it is the size of my rods and in fact I made it oxidizing to see if that changed anything...nope still get more build-up than I should.

Yes it's bottled propane, but when I switch over to my pirhanna, no problem, no build-up and my flame looks exactly the same, on the same bottle of propane.
Wanna sell me that Bobcat?

Old 2005-10-31, 9:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Oxygen to propane should be at least 3 to 1 (oxygen psi to propane psi).

Is this for GTT torches only or is this for all torches?

I was wondering because when I had a Nortel Minor are ran my torch at
2 to 1 (oxygen psi to propane psi).
Old 2005-10-31, 9:45am
the 2 Michelle's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Wanna sell me that Bobcat?
Nope, not yet anyhoo. I still use them both, switch back and forth. Doesn't make me hate it, just trying to tell you how mine works. In fact, I love that my barrel doesn't get hot on my cat.

bead on!!

Old 2005-10-31, 10:00am

Quote:
Nope, not yet anyhoo. I still use them both, switch back and forth. Doesn't make me hate it, just trying to tell you how mine works. In fact, I love that my barrel doesn't get hot on my cat.
That's the way I am. I been in classes and confirmed it is a neutral flame. Part of it may be my source of propane, because it was less in one specific class.

I have more of an issue with the flames diminishing and having to adjust them. And the propane nob has a spot that flares up really high. I've learned to deal with it, but I don't think it's right. And yes, I've called and been assured it is fine.
Old 2005-10-31, 10:28am
Martyrs don't bitch.

I just bought a used Pirahna here and I love love love it. It's so adjustable, my florals have gotten much better. I guess the body does get hot, but I've never been one to rest my hands on the body of a torch so it doesn't matter much. And I can still get my hands really close to the flame without getting burned.

I've never used a bobcat though, I did think about getting one, but the Pirahna seemed more attuned to what i want to do with the torch in the future.

Teague
Old 2005-10-31, 10:32am

Thanks for all the help.
Old 2005-10-31, 10:35am
the 2 Michelle's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy
I have more of an issue with the flames diminishing and having to adjust them. And the propane nob has a spot that flares up really high. I've learned to deal with it, but I don't think it's right. And yes, I've called and been assured it is fine.
Same, same, but I didn't call, just keep re-adjusting.

bead on!!

Old 2005-10-31, 10:36am
the 2 Michelle's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Frog
Thanks for all the help.
Don't know where you are, but if you're close to me, you could try mine out.

bead on!!

Old 2005-10-31, 10:37am
Safety ALWAYS

Good question...

I can't speak to the "official" answer from GTT, but from my own varied experience on GTT's (Lynx and Mirage), Nortel (Minor, Midrange, Mid Plus, and Red Max), and Beth (Piranha, Barracuda and now Tiger Shark), running at 3 to 1 has always given ME better control over my flame characteristics.

Typically speaking, I control my flame 90% of the time only with my propane valve on the torch. Larger or smaller flame, adjust the propane, leave the oxygen alone. The other 10% of the time, I use both valves to fine tune the flame for better focus or sharper point.

I make a variety of things: beads, buttons, pendants, both in solid and hollow forms. Large and small. When I am beginning a session (with all my stringer etc pre-made), I get the main flame I want, then adjust only the propane to change the size of the flame as needed. When I need a smaller sharper flame, for example, attaching the bail on a pendant, I adjust both the propane and the oxygen to achieve a small sharp flame, and for the final heat before putting the piece in the kiln, I again use both valves to give me a hot soft flame to even out the heat.

But most of the time, I only adjust with the propane valve and leave the oxygen alone.

3 to 1 serves me very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersdesign
Is this for GTT torches only or is this for all torches?

I was wondering because when I had a Nortel Minor are ran my torch at
2 to 1 (oxygen psi to propane psi).

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-10-31, 12:24pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
Neon Frog,

If you can possibly find a way to do it, try out the torch you want to buy first. Find a beadmaker close to you with one or a studio that might let you rent some time on one. The torch best suited to you will depend on the type of work you want to do.
This is sound advice. If you cannot find someone with a Bobcat, but can find someone with a Lynx, try the Lynx with the blue valve off - it will operate just like a Bobcat that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
I got on the GTT wagon very early and bought a Lynx after years of working on a Minor. I eventually sold the Lynx and purchased a Bethlehem instead. Why? The Beth's flame made it easier to do what I wanted to do. It suited my work better than the Lynx. I gave the Lynx a good try (used it for about 1 year) but I just wasn't happy. Many people LOVE GTT torches. You might love them also, but it pays to try before you buy, if you can. There are a lot of torches out there for you to look at!!!
People have all sorts of reasons for using the torches that they use. Some people switch torches because they find that one suits their working style better than another. Some people sell their torches out of necessity... like when they need the cash to fix things around the house (see post 15). Yes, I have a long memory, too. And, it's all good. Sometimes we are forced to make a change and find out that it worked to our benefit, anyway.

So far, there is not a "one-size-fits-all" torch. Personal opinions/preferances make the world a much more interesting place. There's no reason to hop on any [band]wagon - whether in regards to torches and tools or what have you. Go search the old posts in the archives of WC! to see torch opinions and reviews (before things got too political). I would say to search the archives here, but this place is still very new.

As far as the Bobcat is concerned, it has a great track record. It does a lot for a standard torch. I like that it stays cool while working.

Michelle and Nancy, why don't you send your torches in to be looked at? It will only cost you the shipping $$ and if there is something wrong with the torch, GTT will fix it. The address is:

Glass Torch Tech, Inc.
1988 Herbert Ave.
Hellertown, PA 18055
Old 2005-10-31, 12:34pm
Cheeky & Impervious

I've got a bobcat and a minor. My bobcat is in desperate need of a cleaning by GTT (who graciously do that for free, and I'm shipping it to them next week, and I have not run a chronic reducing flame on the torch). I love my bobcat, but find it extremely frustrating because it's a chronic problem with the carbon build up even running it with a much higher O2 ratio. I run tanked propane and tanked O2 on it. My minor is tanked propane and oxy con. I look forward to getting my Bobcat back, but am thinking about getting a different torch for my dual torch workbench, NOT because I don't like my Bobcat, but mainly because I can only fit TWO torches on my workbench, and I want a BIGGER one (my Bobcat does much better detail work than the Minor, I must say....).

So, Cosmo, if you want to buy a Bobcat (it's just over a year old), send me a PM...but you'll have to wait until I get it back from the deep cleaning from the boys at GTT....won't sell it until then, wouldn't be right!!!

~ Jules

Old 2005-10-31, 12:48pm
BHB's- big honkin' beads!

GTT torches are great. I've worked on a Bobcat and feel it will outperform the minor. I also worked full time on a Lynx for over four years. I've sold hundreds of Nortel Minors, my ten year old minor is working as good as the day I bought it and it has seen thousands of beads. But... I now recommend, and work on, the Carlisle mini, for the $170-$200 price range it really performs well. If I need to do bigger work then I get on the Lynx.

Website is back up!!! Yipee!!!
Old 2005-10-31, 1:48pm

Default Bobcat

I have to chime in saying that the Bobcat is probably one of the best choices for running on natural gas. It burns super clean and has a wide range of adjustment. On propane however- I have taken my torch to classes- I find it seems to be tempramental to the quality of the propane. Dirty tanks- lots of buildup- new tanks all is well. Also the knobs are not as smooth adjusting at higher pressures. Never would have believed it until it happened to me. The mini CC works well on natural gas also but does get much hotter overall. I like using my torch body to rest my hands and mandrels on while poking etc. I have a feeling that cutting back on the propane pressure wold help the Bobcat burn more cleanly since it doesn't need as much as a minor.

Jako