Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-03-16, 1:16pm

Default List of Torches that run on 1/4 psi NG?

Hi,

Is there a list of torches that run on NG? What is the hottest torch and what type of concentrator would I need? I want to get into sculptural boro type work....Is this even possible?

Shauna
Old 2008-03-16, 3:22pm

You'll need a booster for scuptural, and the torches that will work that size may not work on ng. I run a mini cc on ng with no troubles, but boro sculptural would take FOREVER
Old 2008-03-17, 8:13am
Gentleman of Leisure

For starters....

Nortel Minor
GTT Bobcat
GTT Lynx
National 8M with SM 5 or SM 7 tips.

Most will "function" on 5 LPM oxygen concentrator but will be a lot better on two, 5 LPM concentrators connected together...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-03-17 at 8:16am.
Old 2008-03-17, 5:00pm

Should just get a prop. tank.
Then you have all the pressure you need.
G.
Old 2008-03-17, 5:50pm

Thanks...I am already hooked up to a minor - whats the next level up?
Old 2008-03-17, 8:10pm
Corgi Cult Member

What size boro work do you want to do? I run a Betta on NG with one M-15 and it's pretty spiffy on boro. I can easily make a 1 1/2" boro marble with it. Over that is gets pretty slow. No doubt it would be much faster with a larger torch, but I like the advantages of NG.

Lynx won't run on household NG without a booster. I learned the hard way many years ago.

Old 2008-03-18, 8:16am
old fart

add nortel major and red max to the list that will work on 0.25 psi.

and if you have the option of natural gas, IMHO, i would use natural gas and get rid of propane every time. propane is much more dangerous.

Old 2008-03-18, 10:32am

Mark, How big of a concentrator would I need for a major or red max? how many LPM?

Thanks,
Shauna
Old 2008-03-18, 10:55am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwire View Post
Mark, How big of a concentrator would I need for a major or red max? how many LPM?

Thanks,
Shauna
to get the big flame, you would need 15 l/m or more. for that reason, i use mine on tanked oxygen. it is kind of a hassle, but i mostly use my national torch with a 5 l/m concentrator and only fire up the big torch when i need it. but both torches run off of low pressure natural gas.

Old 2008-03-18, 5:20pm

THank you....I appreciate your knowledge!
Old 2008-03-19, 9:33am
glass-a-delic

so i have to decide between a lynx and a betta burner. The thing is I want to run the torch on natural gas (low pressure) but artwhim said that the Lynx cannot run on natural gas and once again im a little confused... I want to do small and medium boro work (marbles, pendants, small sculptures...) What can you suggest?
Old 2008-03-19, 11:25am
Missing presumed fed

If you're set on using natural gas, then you can't use a Lynx unless you get a pressure booster, and they're quite expensive. So if your choice is between a Betta and a Lynx, and you absolutely want to use natural gas (and don't have a bunch of extra dollars to spend) you should get a Betta.
Old 2008-03-19, 1:04pm
glass-a-delic

but what if i can increase the pressure on my natural gas to 3-5 PSI? would it work that way? Im going to use tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-03-19, 1:12pm
old fart

IMHO, it is much cheaper and better to get a torch that runs off of low pressure fuel gas, than it is to buy an expensive pressure booster. i do not think a pressure booster is a good option at all unless you are working with an insanely powerfull torch. if it were me, i would just buy the national 8m torch. it works off of low pressure natural gas, you can change the tips on it so that you can have a wide variety of flames, and it is cheaper than most of the torches discussed her. as a side benefit, you can also get premixed tips that work great with boro, and even tips that will work with gas/air so that you do not even need oxygen for use with soft glass. you can even get ribbon burners for it. here is a link

http://www.nationaltorch.com/tips.html

for reference, the national 8m with the optional 8r rider top mount torch , is the torch used in all of these videos

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=sunfireglass

Last edited by laserglass; 2008-03-19 at 3:29pm.
Old 2008-04-17, 7:14pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by voic View Post
but what if i can increase the pressure on my natural gas to 3-5 PSI? would it work that way? Im going to use tanked oxygen.
The Lynx needs about 2-2.5 psi for the fuel, so if you could get your NG boosted to 3-5 psi, then you could definitely use a Lynx.