Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-02, 7:03am
glass is sooo...me!

Default using gunmetal black

I just bought some gunmetal black (I think that was the name it is Moretti or Vetro)
I can't do anything with it except use it as a black glass.
Now I am silver glass challenged...I have never sucessfully been able to strike a silver glass (I have samples of a lot of silver colors including some cool sought after colors-thanks T.M. for them if you are reading this.) But nada...no luck. I have read and followed the directions for each color to the letter. (I did get a tiny bit of color out of nebula once)
Is this why I can't get anythng out of gunmetal black?
I am using a Bobcat on 2 concentrators.
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?? I have given up on the silver colors they are too expensive to experiment with. But the black was not expensive so I am willing to play.
Is there a secret to all this that I am missing? I have been working with glass for 12 years and can't figure out the secret once silver came on the market.
HELP! Am I doomed to crayon colors forever?

Karen
Old 2010-04-02, 7:10am
Lampworkaholic!

If it works like CiM Gunmetal, you don't need to reduce and you don't need to go through a typical striking cycle of getting the glass white hot (the critical step), cooling and reheating. Just make a bead, cool it to no glow and give it a quick even reheat. The CiM Gunmetal will go shiny matte and should go right into the kiln then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-04-02, 7:19am
Disconnected

Karen, don't blame yourself too quick if it's Vetrofond. Mine won't do anything either, just stay black. I haven't used the CIM so I wouldn't know, but with the Effetre it used to be a breeze to get the effects (like erose said), but not anymore. I suspect this has to do with the whole handmade/machine made question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-02, 7:28am
glass is sooo...me!

I just looked and it is Vetro. Well I guess I can always use it for black.

Karen
Old 2010-04-02, 7:43am

Karen, I wish I were nearer to you because I too use a Bobcat and 1 concentrator and have (up to now) had good luck with the few silver glasses I've tried. I've worked Pandora, aurae, khaos, and triton. The only one I really don't get much from is Taxco. Is it possible you don't work them hot enough? I tend to work fairly hot and long. Aurae I just hold under a slight reducing flame and poof.... it's there. Pandora, I heat the heck out of in and out of the flame about 5 or six times. Khaos, I love.
There's so little I can actually pass on to other glass workers (this forum is full of talented people) that I wish I could help you. I find silver glass reacts well to Hades so if I use black with silver it's always Hades but I'm not sure if Hades can be encased.
I'm sure you've tried all this but who knows? I hope you get good results.
Mary
Old 2010-04-02, 7:57am
Creatrixie

I think the trick is that you have to treat the different silver glasses in different ways...

Have you read through any of Hayley's Silver Glass Exchanges?
There are also a few good silver glass tutorials available out there-- I hear that Anouk's is good...

Crossing my fingers for your silver glass breakthrough, Karen!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104