Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-03-19, 2:51pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Question Carbon!!! Hothead question,

I've got a HH and a 5g bulk tank.

Today I went to burn glass again and all of my clear ended up with whispy black lines, and turned yellow. Carbon.

What causes this and how can I avoid it? I was at the bottom of the tank apparently, as I filled it afterwards and the guy put in 4.6 gallons. Does carbon collect at the bottom?

I don't ever remember getting yellowed clears when working with the 2lb tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-19, 3:27pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Yes, the bottom of the tank can give you more carbon. I'm assuming you know to lower your flame as low as it will go without going out and to melt your glass as far from the torch as your patience will allow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-19, 3:37pm
Slogan Challenged...

Patience, good point. Also visibility. I am on the same set-up, and my first bead of the day is almost always like that. I turn down the flame a little and I am good to go. You will find you have to turn it down more than you might think.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-03-19, 4:18pm

When I spoke with the lady that makes (?) the hot heads she said to turn it down almost until it was going out, and then turn it up the tiniest of amounts.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-19, 4:41pm

Its a brazing torch repurposed for glass. It will tend to be reducing which causes carbon buildup and the flame chemistry is not easily adjustable.
Old 2013-03-19, 5:03pm

You might be getting a bit more of the oderant or other buildup in the line.

Mine does the same thing, starting very low and increasing the flame works most of the time others times I have to let it run for a bit.

Old 2013-03-19, 5:16pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Most Hot Head users do not adjust flame properly..... Most user just open valve as far as they can till there is no increase in BIG BUSHY FLAME... This is wrong flame for glass, it is fuel rich therefor carbon rich....

Turn flame down till center of flame takes on distinct bright blue pencil point.... New HH torch are no as adjustable as older models (5 years of more old)...

By turning flame down as much as torch will let you means you can have just as much heat with a more complete combustion therefor cleaner flame and less sooty glass...

Also noise level will drop some....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-03-19 at 5:19pm.
Old 2013-03-19, 5:24pm

You still need a pair of noise-cancelling headphones though. Used my hot head at that smallest setting for several years and I think it did me some hearing damage. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Most Hot Head users do not adjust flame properly..... Most user just open valve as far as they can till there is no increase in BIG BUSHY FLAME... This is wrong flame for glass, it is fuel rich therefor carbon rich....

Turn flame down till center of flame takes on distinct bright blue pencil point.... New HH torch are no as adjustable as older models (5 years of more old)...

By turning flame down as much as torch will let you means you can have just as much heat with a more complete combustion therefor cleaner flame and less sooty glass...

Dale

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-19, 5:32pm

Quote:

Dale

I've had it's one for at least three years now and it's older than that since I bought it used.

And yup, I've been using it wide open!

I'll try turning it down.

Old 2013-03-19, 5:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
You still need a pair of noise-cancelling headphones though. Used my hot head at that smallest setting for several years and I think it did me some hearing damage. LOL

Yeah, I seriously disturb the zen in Kim's studio! LOL She's got this nice quiet torch that you can't even tell is on, and I'm working off the back end of an F16 fighter jet... Or so it sounds. LOL LOL LOL

Last edited by MardiGrasGlass; 2013-03-20 at 6:29am.
Old 2013-03-19, 7:09pm
Senior Moment

Quote:

Dale
Interesting. I've also heard the opposite; the flame should be up because it pulls much more O2 thru the vent holes and consequently the flame is less fuel rich. *although always a reducing flame.

Frankly, I find there is no one flame level when I use my HH. If I'm using a striking glass I need to crank that baby up (and melt the glass a tad higher in the flame than usual). If I'm using a glass that burns easy, a low flame is what I use. I tend to turn it up more when melting most clears, and turn it down when working on softer glass like white and ivory. Clearly, while it in no way has the adjustment levels of a dual torch, the HH flame can be modified to better suit certain needs. The next time (hopefully there won't be one but if there is) this happens Christopher, try modifying the flame and see if it helps.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.