Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-03-04, 7:30pm

Default And so it begins

After nearly three decades of riding a desk, my husband traded in his desk for a tractor; we packed up our 3,000 square foot home and moved clear across the country. We have taken up residence in the 400 square foot granny unit on the back of his parents’ home and my husband is now involved with the operations of the family blueberry farm.

We have used the second bedroom in his parents’ home for some of our household storage, and I’ve spent the better part of three weeks going through boxes organizing, and after a lot of heavy lifting have managed to move the majority of them up into the loft portion of this room.

Enough space has been carved out to put down two sheets of plywood and I found a second hand solid core door that will be clad with sheet metal. I am pretty sure I’ll be stripping that wallpaper and applying a couple of coats of paint, I do want it to be pretty!
Attached Images

Last edited by LunadelaOssa; 2015-03-04 at 7:52pm.
Old 2015-03-05, 11:45am
Phill

Oh Boy. That looks like a ton of work in front of you.

Let us know if you need any 'creative' problem solving. A lot of us have been where you are and a large number have done it more than once.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures while you go through this part and share them with us.
Studios and grandkids and pets.
We love to see pictures!
Old 2015-03-05, 12:03pm

What an adventure! Just a teeny, tiny bit envious.
Old 2015-03-05, 6:35pm

Question I do have a question

Well, that's an understatement, I have so many. The color of the walls - I was planning to use an off-white. Is there any reason why this might not be a good choice?
Old 2015-03-05, 7:37pm

striping wall paper is more work then its worth, get a wall plaster shooter thingy and just blast texture on the wall and paint it.
Old 2015-03-05, 7:51pm

Well, here's our little Sassy. She's sixteen and managed to survive the wilds of the high desert for twelve of those years. This is the snuggle that I knitted and felted for her. Of course, she pretty much refuses to use it anymore, her preference is to lay on my husband's slippers.
Attached Images

Old 2015-03-05, 10:53pm

Oh boy, lot's of work ahead but it will be so worth it. Can't wait to see what you do with your space.
Old 2015-03-06, 8:18am
Phill

Try slipping one of his used insoles into her cat snuggle.

On the other note, room color will depend a lot on which way that window is facing and what kind of lighting setup you are thinking of which may be influenced by your fume hood plans which can impact you ventilation fan choices.
Old 2015-03-06, 8:19am
Phill

" And So It Begins "

Old 2015-03-06, 4:06pm

The length of my table will be in front of the window, which faces west. The height of the table will be at or about 42" which will allow me to stand while working if I like. About twenty feet from the window is a two story structure and at 3:00 this time of year, (I just checked) the sun does come in, but it hits below the level of my eyes. Daylight savings time begins next week so I think it would be 4:00? Later time of day and different times of year the sun could be an issue, and then again, maybe not. The metal surface of the table will be reflective, and I plan on using a dark surface in front of my torch.
Old 2015-03-06, 4:29pm

At 3:30 the sun is in my eyes.
Old 2015-03-07, 1:06am
Phill

I have the metal slate blinds on my window tilted just about right to keep the sun from interfering with my torching. I was afraid any of the plastic ones would wind up imitating a match.

But I did need pretty bright lighting above the torch to keep the shadows from becoming a problem. I went with two 400 watt work lights and I have two fluorescent lights with a bluish cast to the to balance the yellow of the work lights as well.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-03-07 at 1:11am.
Old 2015-03-07, 6:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
" And So It Begins "

Old 2015-03-07, 11:36pm
Phill

As my friend from Maine once said ; "Ahhyup".
Old 2015-03-12, 8:41pm

Oh, so Phil, you mentioned metal slate blinds. I tried a search using those words and did not find anything. And as I write this, I realized that you meant metal "slat" blinds haha.
There were some old beater ones that I took down for painting, tempting to toss them, but maybe after a soak in the tub they'll be good enough. I wouldn't be surprised if they were over forty years old, just like the wallpaper I've removed.
Old 2015-03-13, 8:51am
Phill

Aye, me and my dyslexic fingers!

You might not want to get the stringing in those old blinds too close to much water. They could go from fibers to dust on you. Happened to me once.I found a soft bristle broom and a soapy spray solution worked best and then a quick light rinse with a hose or sink sprayer.
Dental floss or fishing line will work for patching them if you have the patience to restring or patch them.

Dental floss is magic stuff. We used it to tie a guy into his bed once when I was in boot camp. Very funny.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-03-13 at 8:56am.
Old 2015-03-19, 6:05pm

Default Progress - More Photos

The first picture shows the wall with the edges cut in, there is some contrast, light in the photo not the greatest. The second photo shows the wonderful wallpaper that has now been removed Hah!

The door is going to the fabricators tomorrow and will be picked up next week, it will be clad with steel. The inline ventilation fan has arrived and.....wait for it.....drumroll please.....a set of stainless steel clamshucker knives, how could I resist? $6.10 delivered to my door.

Oh, by the way, when removing wallpaper, be sure to wash the wall of the residue before painting. Ask me how I know
Attached Images

Old 2015-03-19, 7:39pm
Phill

"Oh, by the way, when removing wallpaper, be sure to wash the wall of the residue before painting. Ask me how I know"

Oh Yeah, got the tee shirt and the back ache with mine.
Old 2015-03-23, 10:26pm

Default Getting closer

The walls are painted, my (clad) door will be delivered in the next day or two. Finalizing the ducting materials for the fan. And planning the base for my work surface (the clad door). Today I set up my stool in what is the closest position that it will be used and then sat on it for awhile. Hmmm.....small glass storage, right there, will be able to reach it comfortably. Need some additional support to hold the weight. Ain't it grand Pictures soon.
Old 2015-03-23, 11:43pm
Phill

Too Cool.

I hunted up something known as a set of map drawers on craigs list. 2 or 3 inches deep and something like 30 by 42 inches. Kind of like a tool box on steroids. I found two of them and the make great storage and bench drawers.
Old 2015-03-23, 11:51pm

The drawers sound really cool, love stuff like that.

My work station will be in front of the window on the right side, and I am thinking of keeping the oxycon under the table on the right, there will be room above it for two drawers

Last edited by LunadelaOssa; 2015-03-23 at 11:55pm.
Old 2015-04-11, 10:31am

Default Slowly but slowly

Progress slowed somewhat, the company that clad my door did some serious damage to it; I purchased another door and found a company who did an excellent job! Next is to work on the ventilation system and to have DH and FIL pipe in gas. Pictures show progress thus far
Attached Images

Old 2015-04-11, 12:57pm
Slogan Challenged...

glad we are getting updates, I love to see things come together

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2015-04-25, 2:22pm
Phill

It is the nature of large projects that they take a long time to come together it seems.

But mistakes get made when we rush to get there already!

It looks great.

I wound up drilling a pair of 1 inch holes for my torch hoses in my bench top about 7 inches from the edge and mounting my torch there so that I could rest my elbows on some foam yoga blocks on the bench without having to purchase one of those $90 creation stations.

But then I already had more than 44 inches on my deep bench to play with.

I did have to find a reach bar so I could open and close the window at the back of the bench because it was longer than I could reach around a hot torch.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-04-26 at 6:09am.
Old 2015-04-25, 9:23pm

And then there's life, and all the stuff in between. I love the height of the table, I can work standing up or sitting on my stool and I've been using it for making bead woven and wirework jewelry. Next is setting up the ventilation system, I have the fan and ducting materials and need to shop for bracing and shelving materials. I'm hoping this week; once I get rolling on that DH and FIL will run the gas line.