Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-12-10, 7:55pm
Pyromaniac

Thumbs up Holy cow... Look what I made! Thanks Ron Jr.!

So I went up to the Florida Glass Dragons Holiday party, and visited with all the other Florida people who came out to mingle. It was really fun, these guys are always great! Afterwards, a bunch of the female-type people ditched and went out for some kind of debauchery, so a few of us hung out in Ron & Rocio's incredible studio (you'd have to see it to believe it) and played around and chatted for a while.

It became an awesome lesson in boro sculpture. Ron Jr. showed Greg Comos and I how to pull points and make a flower from scalloped amber tubing. Then he had Greg and I stand in front of his (monstrous) Great White and give it whirl. I pulled my very first point (poorly) while being helped (heckled) by no less than Lori Robbins. She shoo'ed Ron out of the studio and proceeded to assure me that no matter how horrible it looked it was "OK" because hey flowers are all organic right?

Next Ron showed us how to make a "tree" and explained the basics of welding boro rod. Then he had both of us do it, which was pretty intimidating but I jumped right in and did my best, as did Greg. Right in the middle there we watched the Shuttle Launch, with an excellent view, sitting on a dock at the end of the street. Front row seats and what an incredible event to witness.

We went back and spent well over an hour working on our trees. I had many glass adventures but eventually added roots, learned how to make a leaf with Ron's special leaf technique and finished up the tree as you see it. I think I'm hooked, I didn't want to stop, but I called it a night there. Ron definitely deserved a little mercy after all he'd done. He really pulled out all the stops! He even gave us some supplies to play with at home, practice the techniques and add any finishing touches we might want to our finished pieces.

With no further ado I present you with the result!

(click for larger image)

We just took the picture in our back yard, sorry no professional studio lights and such! Just good old-fashioned sunlight.

I can't thank you enough for your generous offering of time, expertise and materials Ron! I still smile every time I look at my little tree. It's in my china cabinet on display.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2006-12-10, 8:15pm

Wow, looks like you learned a lot! That is really cool! Wish I lived a little closer to Florida.....

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-10, 8:15pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Manflower Chris, that is just too freakin' cool!!!! I missed all that glass learning fun!?!?!? But more than that, I missed debauchery!?!?!? Awww man!!!! I am soooo kicking myself!!! I just couldn't rationalize driving a total of 10 or so hours, there and back, for what I thought was gonna' be a 3 hour party. Well then, that's what I get for thinking, huh?

Truly, I am astonished at what you were able to accomplish with your first boro sculpture!! Many many kudos!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-12-10, 10:03pm

Awesome! Great job!

Old 2006-12-11, 3:16am
boro color bender

Chris... sorry I had to bail on the guy part of the day. Maybe I can get down to see you guys after the holidays and we'll play at your place. Your tree looks awesome!

You want me to kick Lori for you? I'll probably see the heckler soon.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-12-11, 4:58am
Pyromaniac

Naw, she had me in stitches. There was just a >little< pressure to perform with such accomplished spectators but I managed not to wilt under the strain!

Thanks everyone for your kind words! Don't worry you won't swell my head TOO much. Learning is made of mistakes, and I made plenty of those!

Chrissij: I have a hard time choosing between debauchery and glass learning... however, as my past was filled with debauchery I have decided that the future should be all about glass learning! Even if the only learning is how far it is to the bottom of the tequila glass And next time you best just show up

Last edited by Bunyip; 2006-12-11 at 6:42am.
Old 2006-12-11, 6:26am

I love your Tree.......lucky you....warm weather and great BEAD FUN too....not fair...

Old 2006-12-11, 6:32am
boro color bender

Awe come on... let me take her to the mat!

I'm really glad you two got to come man. It was great seeing you and Ron's studio is something every glass worker should see. It's big! I have studio envy every time I go over there.

So, when are you getting a bigger torch?

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-12-11, 7:14am
Gone Fishing!

Ahhhhh... Chris... that is so cool! Ron Jr is the best! We had so much fun with all the debauchery! I thought that we were going to be kicked out for sure! .....LOL! Kara is one wild woman.. thats for sure... couldnt hold her down....haha!

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2006-12-11, 7:15am
Gone Fishing!

Talking

Hey Brent.. it was really good seeing you. Sorry I couldnt stay at the party more... I had a bad night the night before and had to go home before all the debauchery started for us later! Hugs...

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2006-12-11, 8:18am
boro color bender

Oh, I see how it is... skip the middle and come back for the finale! I'm glad you ladies had fun! It was great seeing you again too. I always have so much fun with you guys... I'll see you next month!

Old 2006-12-11, 9:52am
Boro Brat

BRAVO!!! Excellent work! See...maybe you should be playing with sculptures instead of molten mandrels? Make something else! I love watching you experiment

Old 2006-12-11, 9:54am
Boro Brat

BTW...that flower is quite "manly"...Brent should be proud!

Old 2006-12-11, 10:14am

Fantabulous tree!! Kudos!
Old 2006-12-11, 10:26am

Gorgeous!!! I would love to branch out into boro. I have the torch for it, just not the glass yet.
Thanks for sharing!
Josie

Old 2006-12-11, 1:42pm
Type ZZZ personality

wow, sounds like you guys had a great time. great job on the tree!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-12-11, 1:47pm
Dangerous Woman

Oh WOW! Too cool tree! I LOVE it!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-12-13, 6:56pm
Skeptical Optimist

Thumbs up

Definitely a step to be proud of! Too bad I'm stuck in California while all the glass fun is in Florida... OH well, maybe I'll get on down to the flame off some time... Keep up the learnin and stuff!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2006-12-14, 5:31am
Pyromaniac

Thanks for all the kind words once again! I wish all of you could have been there hanging out & melting stuff with us. Maybe one of you could have sat in for me at the Beatle Toss.

Brent: I'll be gettin a bigger torch as soon as I can make room in my studio, and yes, Ron & Rocio's place gave me studio envy... And some great ideas! I freaking love how that place is full of glass art...both successes and "almost" successes. It rules. The best part is that every piece has a story.

Holly: Ask Kara what happened the time my sister jumped on her...

Pipyr: I'm thinking I'm probably an "off mandrel" kinda guy, at least where boro is concerned! Speaking of which, where is the "creature" tutorial? I want something special for my sweetheart for the holidays!

Patrice: You live in California. No complaining allowed! Well, actually, you can complain about the traffic. I still do and it's been years since I left Cali. Seriously though I thought California was a hotbed of glass melting fanatics?