Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-12-18, 4:42pm
Type ZZZ personality

Default Fave GA colors?

Generations is having a sale and I want to get some purple luster, and I may order a couple more. What are your favorite GA colors? (and why?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-12-18, 4:51pm
boro color bender

Spring luster, caramel luster, their cobalts are nice, peacock chamelion and indigo luster. Not tellin you why... I just like 'em.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-12-18, 5:02pm
Type ZZZ personality

Thanks Smilie-person! Was spring luster that dark green trans rod you gave us at the last class?

Old 2006-12-18, 5:16pm
boro color bender

Yep.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-12-18, 5:33pm

I am pretty much partial to GA colors. striking colors: purple luster, indigo luster, blue luster, amazon jewel, amazon night, silver strike 5, silver strike 3. wysiwyg colors: brilliant blue, warm brown, disco sparkle.

Sandy
Old 2006-12-18, 5:47pm

Amazon Bronze, Triple Passion and Blue Passion. I love, love, love Amazon Bronze all by itself reduced. Triple Passion is just plain cool encased or by itself and easy even for a noobie like me to strike, same for Blue Passion. Nice blue beadies encased.

Old 2006-12-18, 5:58pm
Type ZZZ personality

Is Triple Passion easier than Amber Purple?

Old 2006-12-18, 6:06pm
boro color bender

It's very similar to DAP, but it yields more bluish hues.

Old 2006-12-18, 6:12pm

Patty, for me it's a LOT easier to strike than DAP. I kinda have a hard time with that. so far.

Old 2006-12-18, 9:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
Spring luster, caramel luster, their cobalts are nice, peacock chamelion and indigo luster. Not tellin you why... I just like 'em.
Add Triple Passion to the this list, and I agree 100%.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-12-19, 2:09am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

triple passioN!!!!!!
Old 2006-12-19, 3:03am
boro color bender

Yeah, I should have had triple passion on my list... there's actually a few more, but the names slip my mind right now. Just buy a little of a bunch. They pretty much all have their place. The list for what you shouldn't buy is the short list.

Old 2006-12-19, 6:17am
ManBearPig

In addition to the ones already listed - Triple Passion, Spring Luster, Purple Luster, Caramel Luster - here is what I use the most of...

Black Violet is the best black out there I think. If you are blowing it thin it can become purple, but if you are using it on the back of pendants or marbles or as a base for beads, it's great. No boiling/reducing issues, and it melts super smooth. It's the only black I buy.

I also love Warm Yellow. Try it over Triple Passion or DAP and it turns almost lime green. Solara is another favorite. Hmm... what else? Silver Strike 3, Twilight, Peacock,, Twilight Chameleion, Peacock Chameleon (the chameleon colors are colors they have added silver to). Aqua Azul is a great color as well.

I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Sno White. It seems like one rod will be great, and the next rod will be garbage. I heard that they reformulated it not too long ago, but I haven't tried any since then.

Also, GA's frit seems to be more consistently sized than Northstar's frit. Like when you get some, almost every single piece is the same size. With Northstar there are variances in the size. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.

Old 2006-12-19, 2:49pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
The list for what you shouldn't buy is the short list.
What's the list for what you shouldn't buy?

(or should I guess -- ruby, cherrywood, jasper . . .)
Old 2006-12-19, 5:00pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

oooh yeah I love peacock chameleon!
Old 2006-12-19, 5:10pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I got a batch of silver sands, this is the description: Silver Sands can yield hues and striations like polished sandstone. Silver Sands has the heaviest dose of silver ever put in a Glass Alchemy formula. You can see the silver threads when looking at the rod. It is a once in a lifetime color—the equivalent of a Silver Strike 8.

Has anyone else tried this? I'm having trouble getting it to do its thing so if you have any suggestions, please list them here.