Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-05-11, 9:53am

Default Failed firecheck?

Does anyone know how to tell if you've had a flashback into a firecheck?
Reason I ask if this. I haven't torched in about 9 months and just tried to light my nortel minor. I let my oxycon run about 10 min, shut that off and opened my NG. Tried to light the torch and nothin happened. I can feel the O2 coming thru the torch fine when it's just the oxy con running. I'm wondering if my firecheck was bad would that prevent me from lighting the torch? I really don't know where to start trouble shooting this so any help is welcome. Could my hoses be gunked up? I thought NG was a cleaner fuel though I've had the same hoses for around 4-5 years. I bought my torch used too. Don't know how old it was when I bought it in the GS.

Maybe the torch needs cleaning? It didn't come with any of the wires since it was used.

My Ebay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glasslass2; 2013-05-11 at 10:37am.
Old 2013-05-11, 4:36pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A true fire check for NG or very low pressure propane has no moving parts to fail... All it is is a very fine filter/screen type material that is so small a material the gas molecules can pass thorough but they are to small for a flame front to pass through.... IT could be gummed up if there were oils of some type dropping out of suspension is the "gas" and have gummed it up but it is not very likely...

Is there a master shut off valve before fire check (should be) and did you turn it on?

IF you can open gas valve on torch (no oxygen) and get a flame on face of torch, then fire check is not the problem....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-05-11, 4:46pm

Thanks Dale. Yes I have two shut offs prior to the fire check. Both were open. After the fc, hoses go to my torch shut off valve. I attempted to get the torch lit with the oxy con shut off at my torch, but couldn't get the torch to light which has never happened before. I've never had an incident where I thought I had a flashback, and like I said, all my equipment was used. Just wondered if my fc had a flashback if the membrane could have melted and obstructed the gas flow. So either's it's the torch itself, the hoses or my fire check. I'll have to get some cleaning wires and start working my way back from the torch. Thanks for the help.

My Ebay

Last edited by glasslass2; 2013-05-11 at 4:53pm.
Old 2013-05-11, 6:24pm
sorcerer

How long are the hoses from the NG supply to the torch? you perhaps have not given the gas time to purge the lines.
B

Old 2013-05-12, 7:23am

10-12 feet from supply.

My Ebay
Old 2013-05-16, 7:05am
PyronamixK

How long are you waiting before shutting it off? Like B said, it could be that it is taking a little while to purge the line of air and fill with fuel gas.
Old 2013-05-17, 5:57am
Gentleman of Leisure

Try removing fire check out of line for a quick test....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal