AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-05-16, 9:15pm

Default How to use GTT Scorpion with foot pedal

I just upgraded from a Nortel Minor to a GTT Scorpion. I'm using it with the rock it foot pedal and an integra 10lpm oxycon. I tried out the torch for the first time today and I'm finding the directions to be no help. I can get the center flame going(well I think it's hissing) but went I try to get the second one going it just crackles and I even made a large pop that got me pretty shook, I'm kinda scared to turn the thing on again. All I did was open the fuel a little on the outer fire and once I opened the oxygen it was all bad, crackling and popping, I have no idea what I'm doing. The oxycon was on 7lpm. My propane is pretty low tho but still running at 10psi.

Last edited by LiveSim1yLove; 2013-05-16 at 9:19pm.
Old 2013-05-17, 1:35am
Alaska Boro

Assuming that you have the 4 stud Scorpion and not the 2 stud version.

Since you are having issues with the new torch, one could use a "T" on both the fuel and oxygen lines to feed the two green side oxygen barbs and fuel to the two red fuel barbs. Then work with the torch to see if it is performing to your expectations. Once working then add the foot pedal.

On this end use a set of three 5 LPM 10 PSI machines that do well to fire both the inner and outer flames. Then NG at 5 PSI for the fuel.

Have not had the need to run a foot pedal at this point. Have the outer ring oxygen open all the time and only turn on the outer ring fuel when needed. If done this way the outer ring oxygen helps form the inner flame. Note that the outer ring oxygen is not full on. i.e. only adjusted to what is required for the task at hand.

The torch is rated at 11 LPM thus you will be a little underpowered at 7 LPM. See
http://www.glasstorchtech.com/scorpion.html for GTT numbers.
Old 2013-05-17, 5:56am
Gentleman of Leisure

Probably needs more oxygen.... Might be better with 2 oxycons....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-05-17, 6:09am

I just got mine setup with 2 5 lpm cons and it is underpowered. Melts soft glass like butter, but boro is a little slow. I think a third will wake it up some.
Old 2013-05-17, 6:17am
Certified Glassaholic!

I have my 4-stud hooked up to a Regalia that I run at 9LPM. NG is at pipeline pressure. I don't have any issues with my foot pedal. If you're starting with a center flame that is already hissing I'm thinking you have your oxygen dialed in too high to start. Sometimes delivery to the foot pedal or from the foot pedal to the torch might not be smooth to start off with (don't know why this is) so you might just have to turn it on/off/on/off a few times to get the gas flowing through all the lines and connections properly.

Old 2013-05-17, 6:22am
PyronamixK

Call Wally right away at 570-835-9777.
Old 2013-05-17, 8:23am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSim1yLove View Post
I just upgraded from a Nortel Minor to a GTT Scorpion. I'm using it with the rock it foot pedal and an integra 10lpm oxycon. I tried out the torch for the first time today and I'm finding the directions to be no help. I can get the center flame going(well I think it's hissing) but went I try to get the second one going it just crackles and I even made a large pop that got me pretty shook, I'm kinda scared to turn the thing on again. All I did was open the fuel a little on the outer fire and once I opened the oxygen it was all bad, crackling and popping, I have no idea what I'm doing. The oxycon was on 7lpm. My propane is pretty low tho but still running at 10psi.
In addition to what has already been said, if you have your propane at 10psi, that's way too high. Drop it down to 4 or 5psi.

Old 2013-05-17, 11:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough_necked View Post
I just got mine setup with 2 5 lpm cons and it is underpowered. Melts soft glass like butter, but boro is a little slow. I think a third will wake it up some.
I have a 5 lpm oxycon I was using with my nortel minor, pm me if your interested!
Old 2013-05-17, 11:37pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was able to get the outer fire going for a bit, I just need to practice more.